Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

4/5 days during Presidents week-is there any place that a family of four could go without breaking the bank?

Search

4/5 days during Presidents week-is there any place that a family of four could go without breaking the bank?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Debbie

Help! Our family (two adults and two older teenagers) hae just been able to get the time off during Feb.15th through the 22nd-Presidents Week. Is there any place that you think that we could still get in and maybe get an all inclusive deal? Anyone know of any airfare/hotel packages that might still be available? We cannot leave until Sat.16th and husband has to work the following Friday so it would only be about 4/5 days.Thanks for your help!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Davis

Debbie;<BR><BR>Where are you leaveing from and a rough idea of your budget?

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Debbie

We could leave from either Chicago or Milwaukee. I was interested in the all inclusives as I think that my kids would like to try alot of the water sport activities.I was hoping(don't laugh?) of staying around $600-700 for the five days with air if possible. I am pretty sure that Mexico would not be of interest to us.Other than skyauction-is there some other place to check? Florida,Caribbean and Carolinas would be great if price and weather along with availability is open. Thanks-

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Mary

If Mexico is out of the question, the next least expensive destination (typically) is the Dominican Republic. 4-day deals can also be had in Jamaica. You can get charters out of Mitchell or O'Hare, depending on the destination. I assume your budget of $600 to $700 is per person? If not, I'm afraid you're probably out of luck. A charter will also save you $$$. Check with Apple Vacations at applevacations.com and look up their specials, or with your travel agent. I've got a love / hate relationship with them. You can get some great deals but you can also get delayed at the airport, I've heard anywhere from a few hours to a full day. Not sure how often this happens or what your chances would be of getting delayed. For the money you save with a charter, a two or three hour delay might be worth it to you.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:28 AM
busy

Unfortunately, that is a very busy week for travel. I'm not sure what it's like trying to fly out of your area, but out of the Boston area, flights have been booked for months now. I booked in September and got the last two seats on an airplane and only because someone cancelled.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Debbie

Thanks for the tips! Fortunately, here in the midwest,we do not get off like New England for that period of time.In fact, our schools here in Illinois do not even celebrate Presidents Day as the kids have off for Lincoln's birthday on Feb.12th!However,my son's college break is then so we were hoping to do something in the sun for 4/5 days.Yes,I was planning on spending at least $600 per person-however,I have read or heard people say that they did not feel safe in Dominican Republic.Anyone? Thanks for everyone's imput!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Tobey

We went to Punta Cana last Feb. It was one of the most relaxing vacation I have ever taken. We stayed at the Paradisus which was all-inclusive and wonderful. We got layed over 2 nights due to a snow storm. The hotel was wonderful with everything. Everything was included even horseback riding and scuba diving. <BR>We did do an Apple Vacation and it was not one of my finer trips with them. However, they are usually very good. I have never experienced more than a hour or two delay with them. Good luck

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Debbie

Could you people from the New England area help me out as to where the most popular places are that you go to during this time period(Presidents Week)?Is it mainly Florida,cruises,all inclusives or which islands that seem to attract the majority? I am trying to get a handle on where we should steer away from. thanks-

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Kristi

Debbie, we use Apple and FunJet from Chicago which usually has the best deals. Obviously the closer destinations will have the prices you are looking for. We've never experienced the problems referred to in the posts above mine and we've used Apple 4 times and FunJet once. Obviously if the weather is bad in Chicago, you could experience problems getting home.<BR><BR>Before you write off Mexico, the area around Cancun ranges from party city to relaxing beach vacation, all depends on where you stay and what you do. A little way from Cancun is Playa del Carmen which I've seen people recommend although I haven't personally been there. We've been to Cancun three times, the most recent in December for $500 per person for 3 nights at a 6 apple hotel although it wasn't an AI. The beaches are beautiful, the water is warm, the snorkeling is great, the food is good so I wouldn't recommend an AI anyway. You can visit Mayan ruins with 1-2 hours of Cancun, visit water parks, take snorkeling trips, shop at the downtown markets or just veg on the beach.<BR><BR>If I haven't convinced you Mexico is for you, you might try the Dominican Republic although it will probably not be as cheap as Cancun. I thought the DR was limited in the excursions you could take so it's a great place if you want to hang out at the beach but not if you're really active. Most of the resorts have kayaks, sailboats and windsurfers. And for $600-700 you probably won't be getting the top notch hotel packages. Definitely stick with the AI in the DR, we didn;t see any restaurants outside of the resorts in Punta Cana. We never felt unsafe in the DR and we went out on two excursions away from the resort, more than most people. The DR has traditionally been a more European destination, when we were there last year, we were definitely in the minority.<BR><BR>We're heading to Jamaica in March, the best deal I could find, on one of the lesser resorts, was $850 per person for an AI. I've heard that AI's are the way to go in Jamaica.<BR><BR>Most of Apple's trips are charter from Chicago/Milwaukee but FunJet allowed me to leave on a non charter day that used regular air service. The charter days will probably be cheaper.<BR><BR>You can price out FunJet vacations on their website, I imagine you can also purchase them there. My advice though given the short time before you travel is to call a travel agent and pose the same question to them and see what specials Apple and FunJet have. You have to book Apple through a TA anyway.<BR><BR>Hope you find something!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Cissy

Debbie: Try these two websites. You might find something there. tourscan.com and lastminutetravel.com<BR>Good luck!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Mark

When Kristi says you can't get packages to Jamaica for less than $850 I think she's referring to a one week trip. Yes, you can get 3 or 4 day packages, all-inclusive too, for less than $600.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:33 PM
tivertonhouse

Most of our places are booked for that week or require a one-week minimum BUT---At US$1,600/week plus food and liquour,<BR>On Top of the World villa in Port Maria Jamaica is open for your travel period.<BR>The rate ,for up to 6, includes airport meeting service, roundtrip transfers via private van driver/guide and the same private van and driver/guide service on a 24/7 basis -- for anywhere you want to go on island. Beaches, mountains, shopping, markets, nightlife,exploring Port Antonio to Ocho Rios. Gas, cook ,food and liquour are additional and reasonable. You might make your budget and still get max flexiblity/value here.If still available, airfare with discounts available through our membership in cvoa which does some pretty good discounts on American and Air Jamaica. See www.jamaicaescapes.com for villa and discount air direct quote info.<BR>or e-mail me directly<BR>SIESTA is also still available but is beyond your current budget.C

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Lyn

Debbie,<BR><BR>Kristi gave you some very good advice. We've used both Apple and Funjet about five times and never had any problems. In your price range I would recommend Cancun, it you're looking for more action/nightlife or Playa Del Carmen if you're looking for a quaint, more European destination. The sea is absolutely beautiful at either place and we felt safe at both destinations as well. <BR><BR>To each his own but I would not recommend AI at either place. There are so many restaurants in which to choose from, in all price ranges, especially in Cancun. We usually like to get out and try them and experience the local scene, rather than being stuck dining every meal at the same resort. Some resorts offer some type of a breakfast/lunch plan as well. Good luck!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Kristi

Unfortunately Mark I'm only talking about a 4 night package. If I had stayed at one of the nicer resorts it would have been $950-$1150. I think because it is March (high season) that it's the cheapest I can get (if not don't tell me!). I also had specific dates I needed to travel on so the charter flights weren't available. It certainly helps if you are flexible with dates which it appears that Debbie is not.<BR><BR>I tried pricing it separately and it was even more and Apple doesn't go on Fridays.<BR><BR>Mexico from Chicago is almost always the cheapest option.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Jim

Be aware that in any of the places mentioned thus far, you're gonna risk intestinal parasites, Hepatitis, Dengue, etc. <BR><BR>If you're not that particular about your exact locations and flight times, perhaps you should see if you can get a really good deal at hotwire.com or Priceline.com to Hawaii. (both for air and hotel).<BR><BR>If you don't insist on fancy restaurants, you can keep your food costs down there. (the Denny's in Waikiki is supposed to have spectacular views)<BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Stephen Schulz

Debbie: Try this URL for Air Jamaica's current promotions from Chicago. http://www.airjamaicavacations.com/sum/ord.html

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Mary

Kristy, you're right (actually I'm Mary -- Mark was a typo), you can only get the prices I mentioned earlier if they are on special in which case you have to leave on certain dates which usually aren't too far off in the future. And yes, the nicer resorts will be a tad more. But I must mention that last November or so, I noticed one of the Sandals in Jamaica was almost half off. A HUGE savings!! You can get lucky.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Debbie

You guys are all amazing! I am going to start looking at some of these other websites right now. I quess if the truth be told-the reason that we were not interested in DR or Mexico was that we hate to travel someplace where we constantly have to watch what we eat and drink-too many friends have picked up some interesting parasites down there that last for weeks? Any other ideas,please let me know.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:47 AM
busy

The truth is us folks from the Northeast like to travel all over the caribbean and Florida over our Feruary vacations. I think you might have some luck finding some last minute travel bargains through a travel agent. People do cancel their vacations at the last minute and you may be able to jump on board and fill up their spot.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Kristi

Debbie, I was talking with someone at lunch that said he booked a Caribbean cruise for $299 for 4-5 days. Airfare is extra but some of them leave from New Orleans and Ft. Lauderdale. You wouldn't have to worry as much about hygiene if you're on a ship.<BR><BR>I've been to Mexico several times and Central America several times with no problems. I observe a couple of precautions when I go-always drink bottled water and don't eat uncooked fruits that you eat the peel on or uncooked vegetables including salads. I would observe the same precautions in the Caribbean, it's worth it for the small price of a few bottles of water. A lot of the resorts use filtered water so it's probably not necessary in many of the nicer resorts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -