Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   30th anniversary - first time in Caribbean (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/30th-anniversary-first-time-in-caribbean-325194/)

corgijan Mar 17th, 2008 12:14 PM

30th anniversary - first time in Caribbean

As everyone else, I'm looking for the perfect place to go to experience the Caribbean. It will be our 30th anniversay this summer and I want to stay somewhere romantic, on the beach. I don't really want a big resort, but the all inclusive is appealing. I like the water sports, snorkling, meals all being included. Or is it better not to do that? We are in our fifties, so a place with a lot of 20 somethings isn't our speed. But we're not old, either. We're active people who like to enjoy the local culture, have fun, and relax, too. We are traveling from the US, so I don't want spend an entire day traveling. Really want something romantic and private, but with stuff to do, some pirate history to explore and we love nature. I'm beginning to think Barbados. My husband said we can go anywhere I want to go (he's the best!), so your help will be greatly appreciated.

RoamsAround Mar 17th, 2008 01:39 PM

this is your second post with the exact same question. Perhaps the reason you've gotten only one response to your original post is because your requirements are very vague. Everyone wants "that perfect place" and truth be told there are hundreds of "perfect places".

You don't say where in the US you are travelling from (it's a very big country) so it's almost impossible to recommend a destination that won't take "an entire day travelling". You say you want local cultural but then say you want all Inclusive. Generally those are often mutually exclusive as AI's tend to cater to those people who rarely leave the resort and you won't experience local culture "on resort". You also ask for "pirate history" without telling us what that means to you. Are you seeking "buried treasure", ruins of old pirate ships, or a reincarnatioon of The Admiralk Benbow Inn? If so, those things don't really exist. If, however, you mean cast iron cannons and old stone fortresses well they can be found on most islands.

Many non-AI resorts offer meal plans and you can take part in watersports almost anywhere. Snorkeling is another matter. Do you mean "walk-in" snorkeling or would you be willing to take a boat tour to reach the best snorkeling sites?

You don't give any indication as to your budget. Without knowing how much you want to spend it's difficult to make recommendations. When telling us about your budget don't use terms like "affordable" or "Moderately priced" as they mean different things to different people but rather give us an actual dollar amount. Also, don't expect to find 5-star quality for 3-star prices, it just doesn't happen.

The more information you supply the easier it will be to steer you in the right direction.

Since you mentioned Barbados you might want to check out Sandy Lane. If you can afford the price tag it may have everything you seek.

Other places that come to mind are:

Caneel Bay, St. John
Little Dix Bay, Virgin Gorda
Peter Island, BVI's
Casa de Campo, Dominican Republic
Cap Juluca, Anguilla
Four Seasons, Nevis
Galley Bay or Curtain Bluff, Antigua
Anse Chastenet, St. Lucia
Four Seasons, Nevis

Knowing Mar 17th, 2008 04:17 PM

Barbados is a tropical joy even though it is a more populated island. Absolute bliss. I would never consider doing an AI there, however. We stayed at the Hilton and loved stepping out on our balconies. We stayed on an executive floor where we had two balconies, and it was the ultimate indulgence.
We felt some trade winds, but we loved the sophistication as well as strolling the beaches.
You can create an adventure tailor-made for you in Barbados.
Then revel in the sunsets as a night of dining (or dancing and entertainment) beckons you.

corgijan Mar 19th, 2008 02:12 PM

RoamsAround - thank you for your input. I will get specific.
We are traveling from the Philadelphia area. As to local culture, I'd like to be able to feel safe to go out and explore the island. Beaches, and towns. We like to beachcomb, not just stroll. As for pirates, I did in fact mean anything historic. I am quite aware there is no buried treasure to be found. I have ruled out AI's. Too big, crowded and impersonal. Would prefer something smaller. On the beach I want to relax and sip cool adult beverages. Husband LOVES to shop. Boats are great. Snorkeling would be try it out "walk in" and if I get the hang of it, go for it out in a boat. Would love to rent a small power boat for an afternoon. I grew up on the Chesapeake and am more than able when it comes to all things nautical. Hubby is Annapolis grad. Same thing. I love nature. Would like to see native flora and fauna (jeep tour possible), but not fond of alligators and their cousins. Budget I'm thinking around $5K. I would love a small place to just walk out the door to the beach, but worry about safety. Maybe a second floor to leave windows open to hear the surf. Don't want high rise. Don't need formal dinners. Informal is good.
Is this info better?
Also, I will check out Shandy Lane.
Corgijan

RoamsAround Mar 19th, 2008 04:39 PM

Barbados does have everything you are seeking.

You might also look at Nevis. There's quite a lot of history on this island. Admiral Nelson spent quite a lot of time on the island (this is where he married Fanny Nisbet). You husband might enjoy visiting the Admiral Nelson Museum. You can also explore ruins of several forts and ramparts as well as old sugar plantations. There are rainforests to hike, miles of uncrowded beaches, several (along the northern shore are in the natural state) to comb, a variety of restaurants, and while you can't rent a drive-it-yourself boat you can take any number of day-sails or even do a private charter for "your day on the water". For everything you could ever want to know about Nevis visit: www.nevis1.com

As for beach front resorts check out Four Oeasons, Nisbet Beach Plantation, or Oualie Beach Resort. There's also the brand new Nelson Spring Condos that have very nice beachfront units.

corgijan Mar 20th, 2008 04:08 AM

Thanks again, RoamsAbout.
I'm realy like what I see at the Oualie on Nevis. I like the "non tourist trap". It's exactly what I had in mind, but couldn't put into words. And they are running a great summer special. Just need to check airlines on how to get there.
Thanks again,
Corgijan

rohanbarbados Mar 20th, 2008 08:29 AM

Corgijan,
Stick with Barbados!! (being a Bajan myself, I may be a little biased, but everything you’re looking for you’ll find.)

Sorry if this is a bit long, but I went through everything you’re looking for and tried to link where I could.

PIRATE HISTORY TO EXPLORE!

Why not stay at Sam Lords Castle? Sam Lord was a pirate who settled in Barbados and built a castle. His castle was turned into a hotel, and voila. The beach is a few steps from the hotel and it’s lovely as well.

I pulled this little snippet from this epinions report on Sam Lords Castle.
http://www.epinions.com/trvl-review-...38588058-prod4

“Sam Lord was a real live pirate back in the day. He smuggled rum, made people walk the plank, shot his cannons at the British fleet, and on a few occasions he even swashbuckled! I bet he even had a parrot on his shoulder. But puhleease don't even begin to think that he had a hook and a patch over his eye -- that's stereotyping!

He based his operations out of the Caribbean port of Barbados, and when he grew old and his little peg leg got wood rot, he decided to turn in his jolly roger and end his pirating days by settling in Barbados. So he built himself a nifty little castle.” You can stay there or at least visit!

SNORKELING but you’re not that confident about it? I was in the same boat and did it on a Catamaran. Read my review here:

http://www.barbados-travel-secrets.c...norkeling.html

HISTORIC things?

Barbados has some really nice “Great Houses” to check out and one of the oldest churches in the Western hemisphere. A lot of cool stuff. Check out some of the historic spots in the capital of Barbados and your husband can get his shopping on there at the same time.

http://www.barbados-travel-secrets.c...-Barbados.html

NATIVE FLORA AND FAUNA?
This one throws birds in the mix but there’s also the flower forest, Welchman Hall Gulley, and more cool spots.

http://www.barbados-travel-secrets.c...ctions-in.html

Oh and for a Jeep Tour

http://www.barbados-travel-secrets.c...xcursions.html

The Barbados tourist board should be paying me for this ;) Seriously though, you can't go wrong. If you have any questions post more or shoot me an email on my site.
Happy travels!

KeyGal Mar 21st, 2008 01:09 PM

Be aware that if you're traveling from PHL and don't want to spend 7-8 hours traveling, your options are limited to the more familiar islands. Most places in the West Indies, such as Nevis, require more than one plane from Philly. USAirways used to have Saturday nonstops to Barbados but I believe those are discontinued and now you have to connect in Charlotte (or Miami if using American). We've been going to Jamaica - a little over 3 hours to Montego Bay nonstop, then a 15- to 45-minute prop plane to Negril, Ocho Rios, or Port Antonio from there.

Nina_novicetraveler Mar 21st, 2008 01:36 PM

HI, I don't know if you'd be interested in a BVI, but my family of 14 are travelling in May to a privately owned small resort in Tortola. The resort is Surfsong Villa Resort. The website is www.surfong.net. It looks gorgeous. The owners and their staff can arrange many activities and meals if you'd like. They have been very accomodating. 3 of the small villas are located on the beach. The other is amongst trees and boulders and is a short walk to the beach. We will be going there in May and taking my in-laws there for their 40th wedding anniversary. I'm sorry that I don't have firsthand knowledge of being there yet. But, I do have experience dealing with the staff, and they are fantastic!! They can make a lot of excursion and car rental reservations for you. IF you go to their website, please review the link on tips how to use the site. It is a bit tricky to navigate, but once you know how to, there is a lot of information and pictures on their website. Good luck finding a place.