25th anniv caves or rockhouse

Old Jul 6th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

25th anniv caves or rockhouse

We live in Florida so beaches are not a must. These looked interestingly different. We like small and quiet but food is always a problem because my husband is such a picky eater. I don't know if the caves is worth twice the price because eating is not a priority but would like to know if "plain food" is available and if it is worth the money?
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM

The Caves is worth every penny. We debated over some of the same issues as we are official beach bums owning a beach house, but we can't wait to return to the caves. It is so beautiful and unique. They have several choices for each meal and if you have specifics that you don't like, just make them aware before you head down. It is just such a romantic place...perfect for an anniversary. The cave dinner and sunset jacuzzi are amazing. You feel as though you are staying at a wealthy friends property. The staff is great (with the exception of Gary). We stopped at Rockhouse and Tensing Pen to see the property. I prefered Tensing Pen over Rockhouse, but was still glad we made the choice of the Caves. It is a special place. My vote is for the Caves!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks that will be the answer. I have found this site so helpful in trip planning.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Also, is there a recommendation for which room to request. We need to have air?? it will be summer. Thanks
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:53 AM

The only rooms with air are sea turtle, blue dolphin, blue hole, one drop and two little birds. We stayed in the owners cottage (stardust) as there was a problem with our initial room. It was an amazing cottage, but no air. One drop does not have ocean views, but is very cute and has an outdoor shower. A bit less $, but very nice. I did not see two birds. Sea Turtle is beautiful with a huge tub, but is where people walk by, so ypu need to be more cautious about closing up for privacy. Depends on what you want. It has the best views and was VERY nice. Blue Dolphin is set back a bit and a little more private, but I liked Sea Turtle better. Blue Hole also has AC, but I wouldn't want that room as it has no view and would be loud over the waves crashing into the blue hole. You would be better off w/one drop over Blue hole. I would want ac in the summer I think. We always had a nice breeze in our room. Without air, the only rooms I would go for are butterfly or stardust. Macka Tree and the other one set too far back from the ocean to get the breeze. Hope this helps. You will love it!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM

If it's not busy when you're there, ask to be moved. We were moved to one of the 2-BR's for no additional charge, it was amazing (no air though).
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM

I preferred Rockhouse, but I do not like All Inclusive's. Rockhouse had AC in the rooms and I like the fact that I did not have to eat every meal there. I prefer to try a lot of different restaurants and local cusine.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:44 PM

I have to say one of the things I liked the most about The Caves was the food. If you're not that into jamaican cuisine and like "plain food" better, you may be better off with someplace you can get your own cook (Moondance Villas, Nirvana, etc. ).
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Vilas Sur Mer may be one for your list, I believe you can have your own cook there and it is just as pretty as RH and the Caves but more privacy (only 6 bedrooms on the sea side, I think). Also a pool and hot tub...located right in the same area as the Caves and Tensing Pen (TP and Catcha Falling Star may also work for you, all of these are mellow, private, fairly upscale but authentic feeling cliff hotels).

Idle Awhile has new villas on the cliffs as well.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM

I vote Caves and when you check in you fill out a form with food preferences and dislikes. They are very very accomodating. Definitely worth the money and take it from me, I'm super cheap! LOL!