Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   20 something couple looking for best carribean experience (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/20-something-couple-looking-for-best-carribean-experience-1019638/)

TomCr Jul 10th, 2014 04:24 PM

20 something couple looking for best carribean experience

Me and my girlfriend are looking to take a trip to the carribean. She has picked out turks and coacoas (i think mainly bc not many people talk about it.)

I am looking to spend >3000 on the both of us. Leaving Sept 8-10 returning a week later. All inclusive seems like a good bet as we plan on drinking! We are looking for an experience.. Hopefully some people around our age. We are going mostly to relax. She works with kids so hopefully a place with minimal amount of them. Room is very important, she wont stay somewhere that not nice and clean and modern decor. Wed also like a balcony and to be close to the beach.

Any advice would be great! This my (and her) first official vacation (without the family) and i want it to be something we never forget.

I saw Club med, found a week for about what i want to spend. But i want to make sure i get the best experience for the money.

blamona Jul 11th, 2014 03:07 AM

Club med is the only AI, other than the very kid friendly Beaches Resort (way over your budget)

Club Med is really the only nightlife on island, it's quiet there. Also the only in your budget place.

Here's the thing, expensive island! September is quiet season-- meaning not much nightlife at all! Being expensive, Club Med is your only option-- drinks cost a fortune there. Case of beer at supermarket is $70! Rum is much cheaper, bust you'll need a room with a blender (full kitchens not in your budget)

Rooms at Club Med are dated, no patio no balcony. Very basic, kinda old.

So you could try staying at Royal West Indies next door, and get a day or night pass to club med.

Budget will be pushing it-- air will put you out $1200, leaving $1800 for room. (RWI will be a little under that). Club med passes are $55 per person during day, $55 pp at night. This includes food during those hours, water sports, all your drinks, disco.

So it's pushing it, but I think a $500 increase will help.

If you don't buy passes to club med, you can't afford to eat and drink in TCI, so might have to look at other islands.

One more thing, get hurricane insurance wherever you decide, it's hurricane season. (very rare for TCI to get help, but could happen)

What you get in TCI for the money is the most amazing beach, one of the best in the world!

TomCr Jul 11th, 2014 12:07 PM

Is there other islands/resorts youd suggest? Anything but DR or PR. A younger nightlife oriented resort? All inclusive.

Thanks for your help! Means alot to be able to pretend i know what im talking about infront of the gal haha.

Odin Jul 11th, 2014 01:50 PM

Barbados St Lawrence/the Gap area, St Lucia near Rodney Bay, Riviera Maya or Cancun Mexico, Negril Jamaica, Aruba, St Martin. In general, Caribbean island nightlife is sedate.

TomCr Jul 11th, 2014 04:51 PM

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by sedate? Any resorts specifically that come to mind?

TomCr Jul 11th, 2014 04:52 PM

Also no mexico, sorry forgot to add that.

Odin Jul 12th, 2014 01:40 AM

Jolly Beach Antigua, it's a moderate resort on a gorgeous beach, AI, Coco Palm or Bay Gardens St Lucia. Aruba, Negril and St Martin you don't need AI, don't have specific resorts in mind, Negril might be the best for nightlife. You are missing out by discounting Mexico, Latin countries have the best nightlight. Cuba has great nightlife but I guess you can't go there. Sedate nightlife means there isn't much happening outside the hotel in terms of nightlife, most evening activities are to do with evening meal, drinks after and maybe some entertainment laid on by the hotel. But the islands I mentioned have a bit more going on with Negril being top of the list.

schmerl Jul 12th, 2014 04:02 AM

Too bad you have ruled out the Dominican Republic and Mexico because you could find exactly what you are looking for there. Is there a particular reason you don't want to go to these places?

WWK Jul 12th, 2014 09:48 AM

Aruba has tons of nightlife, but might be too far depending where you're departing from. Negril has lots of nightlife, too, and I'm a huge fan, but it can be rustic for some people's tastes. Meaning not up to typical standards of big name hotels, etc.

Whatever you do, definitely take out hurricane insurance for that time of year! You can look at Insuremytrip.com to compare pricing.

TomCr Jul 12th, 2014 03:47 PM

My gf just doesnt want to goto Mexico. I guess DR is fine. Modern/clean rooms are one of the most imporant aspects of what im looking for. Resort nightlife is fine, and actually preferred.. I dont plan on leaving the resort really. What would you suggest in the DR?

Odin Jul 13th, 2014 03:55 AM

I can't believe someone would choose DR over Mexico.

schmerl Jul 13th, 2014 05:34 AM

Your girlfriend might want to do some research on the Riviera Maya area of Mexico. MUCH nicer than the DR and plenty to explore and do off the resort. There is NO reason to be afraid of that area of Mexico. Great resorts at good prices and great people.