Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   2 weeks on Virgin Gorda too long? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/2-weeks-on-virgin-gorda-too-long-790499/)

vacationgal Jun 16th, 2009 08:31 PM

2 weeks on Virgin Gorda too long?

We are planning a 2 week trip next summer and are planning on staying at Mango Bay in Virgin Gorda. I'm just wondering if 2 weeks on VG is too long? We've been to St John before & are also considering splitting our time between the two islands. However, you do lose a day traveling between the 2 islands but I think the water taxi would be fun.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

steviegene Jun 17th, 2009 04:19 AM

Depends on how much you want to relax.

Personally I would split my time, or at least do a few daytrips (boat charter, ferry, etc.) if I stayed on one island the whole time.

doug_stallings Jun 17th, 2009 05:15 AM

Maybe you could split your time between Tortola and Virgin Gorda (or between Anegada and Virgin Gorda). If you like relaxing and getting away from it all, this can't be beat, however.

mnag Jun 17th, 2009 05:19 AM

I agree that two weeks seems a bit too long for VG. If you have already been to St John, you may want to instead consider spending a few days on Tortola (a good base for a day trip to Jost Van Dyke) and spending the remaining time on VG. From VG you could do a day trip to Anegada.

DavefromCA Jun 17th, 2009 07:02 AM

I don't know...we spent two weeks at Biras Creek a few years ago and I had no problems with it! We got out of the resort a few days...rented a car, took a boat trip, hiked...and took out the Boston Whalers a number of times, too.

That said, it really does depend on what you want to do.

greenie Jun 17th, 2009 01:18 PM

I'm with DavefromCA, I could do two weeks on VG in a heartbeat! But I would get out to other islands. Takes some sails, etc.

Peace, Greenie

cm318 Jun 17th, 2009 04:24 PM

We really enjoyed Virgin Gorda (8 days) and I would have happily stayed a bit longer. But, if I had two full weeks I'd probably spend a couple of nights on another island. I think Doug's idea of a short stay on Anegada or Tortola is a good. Another consideration would be Jost Van Dyke - that looks appealing to me. Have fun exploring options!

bellamiyagi Jun 17th, 2009 04:42 PM

Two weeks..Sorry, but too much. Take some time at the Baths and around the island, then jump ship to Tortola (do the crazy moon party) and hit some other islands.

sailorguy Jun 18th, 2009 09:06 AM

What about a week on VG and a week on a private yacht visiting all the islands of the BVI. We spent a week on the charter catamaran Mustang Sally last year, had a ball, saw a lot and ate amazing meals.

waggie1218 Jun 18th, 2009 06:55 PM

I agree that two weeks on VG might be too much. Having been to both St. John and Tortola, my vote is to split your time between VG and SJ. I think it'd be a really nice combo. Or check out Jost Van Dyke, as someone else suggested. While Tortola was nice and we always have a good time anywhere we go, we weren't overly impressed with it and probably wouldn't return.

While on VG, definitely snorkel The Baths and then walk up the hill and have the world's absolute best pina colada at Mad Dog's!

ejcrowe Jun 20th, 2009 03:10 AM

I think it all depends on your tolerance of relaxation and not having to be on the go to explore. Two weeks on Virgin Gorda sounds heavenly to me, just as it sounds like torture to folks like bellamyagi. Only you can can decide where you fit in.

Would I do daytrips to other islands? Absolutely! But not because I'd be afraid of boredom--more because I would feel I have enough time to actually see all I wanted to see, which includes Anegada and Jost and take a daysail, without missing out on everything on VG that I really wanted to see, too.

iamq Jun 21st, 2009 09:19 AM

We just returned from 10 nights on Virgin Gorda and I would have been happy to spend 4 more. As it was, we didn't do any trips off the island. If we had more time we might have taken a day trip to Anaegada and/or a snorkel trip with Double D. Next time!

ejcrowe Jun 21st, 2009 11:58 AM

trip report please, bill!