Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   2 Weeks in Caribbean (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/2-weeks-in-caribbean-1042721/)

jokezoe Apr 13th, 2015 01:26 PM

2 Weeks in Caribbean

2 adults (late 30's)
2 Weeks
Budget - 4500 + Air

Looking to spend 2 weeks on 3 different islands. We would like part of the time to be very secluded but also want to spend some of the time hanging with locals, live music, some adventure.

I love Turks and Caicos but not a necessity. We do want to stay away from the touristy areas but also keep within budget.

Any suggestions???

blamona Apr 13th, 2015 01:43 PM

2 weeks what time of year? How many persons?

So around $321 nightly?

Island hopping is expensive, not very dependable, and only in groupings (or loose 3-4 days in travel and backtracking)

You could do Barbados/Grenada (Barbados more expensive)

St. Martin/St. Barts/Anguilla (ST. Martin affordable, so stay put and day trip, other 2 islands expensive)

You can combine British and US VIrgin Islands

You can try to combine Out Islands in Bahamas, but requires small planes and backtrack to Nassau

Cayman/Brac and Little

Antigua with Barbuda (Barbuda expensive)

Puerto Rico with Culebra and Viesques

Island Hopping in general is not easy in Caribbean!

jokezoe Apr 13th, 2015 01:49 PM

Thank you for the speedy reply!!!

We will be traveling in July (off season)
I should have said 10 days instead of 2 weeks. That's probably more practical.

eastenderusvi Apr 13th, 2015 02:08 PM

St Martin-St Barts-Saba in 12 days, St Martin-Anguilla-Saba in 12 days, Antigua-Montserrat in 10 days have all been personally done before. I would add St Kitts-Nevis to Blamona's list, although I haven't actually done it.

suze Apr 13th, 2015 02:27 PM

I would not try to do 3 islands with only 10 days.

I love Negril Jamaica.

KVR Apr 13th, 2015 02:43 PM

Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire.

In Jamaica stay in hotels located in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Negril. All 3 sections of the Island is so very different it's like staying in a different destination.

Fly to Barbados and do day trips to St. Lucia, Grenada and St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Hawaiian Islands or take a cruise and get in several Islands at once.

Island hopping is not a easy as people might think. Unless there is a ferry or local puddle jumper airplane you will have to return to Miami or Puerto Rico to get to another Island.

$4,500 + air is really not a lot of money for what you are wanting to do. A cruise would be more cost efficient if you want to island hop.

mnag Apr 14th, 2015 09:31 AM

Agree with Blamona's list -

St martin and Anguilla (you can fly into St martin and take the ferry over to Anguilla for a completely different exp)

Tortolla for a week (with day trips to Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke) and St John for the other week. No extra plane travel involved.