Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

1st visit to TCI in late July..are the Beaches Day passes worth it??!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I'm going solo to visit relatives in Provo from July 25th-August 5th.Since I am staying with them and not spending as much as i would normally, I was wondering if its worth it to get day passes to Beaches resort. Found out passes are available from 10am-6pm $140, evening 6pm-1am $160 or full day 10am-1am $275...should i be saying yikes??!! Has anyone stayed at Beaches or paid for day passes before? Do you know if any other hotels offer day passes(I really just want to have access to a pool)? Should I consider other excursions? Please share your thoughts..experiences!! Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 02:35 AM

Beaches will be full of kids at the pool and everywhere for that matter..what about a day pass at Club med ...for a solo visit as an adult that would be more enjoyable I would think.
Also call the new Veranda resort -- do not know that they have a day pass but they may..hey for $275.00 I'd rent a room somewhere for 1 night...lol
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:47 AM

i'm curious to know if you've ever been on provo before - i'm guessing not. provo has beautiful grace bay beach, which is 11 miles of oh so soft sand which never gets hot to the touch & gorgeous tourquoise water that is normally very calm due to reef. water temp should be around 82+ in mid summer. the family can show you numerous beach access points. and you can hang out in front of any of the resorts - no private beaches. so i'm saying spending $$$ to take a swim seems totally unnecessary.
on the other hand provo has some outstanding restaurants - if you'd like to spend money you could take your family out for a nice meal.
and yes there are tons of cool excursions available. see this page to get some ideas: http://www.wherewhenhow.com/turks-ca...inment-sports/
the full moon is the 25th and in the 3-6 days after the full moon you could do the glow worm tour.
re club med vs beaches i'd say club med. better beach no kids.
not sure if zack was kidding, but you Could have a room for a night - With Pool Privileges - at the Sands for $185/nt as an example. you could also check nightly rate at ocean club, ocean club west or royal west indies (some of the least expensive options - for more money you can stay at a fancier pool).
have a fun trip and maybe come back with a trip report to share with us.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Actually, the 10-6 passes are more like $190! (and end before dinner)

As Virginia says, The beaches there are like a giant swimming pool!

If you got A Beaches pass, you wouldn't be with your relatives, as I don't see them paying those prices just to hang out at a pool.

A lot of restaurants are next to a pool, and while you should take a dip if not staying there, you can eat by the pool.

Really it's a better question posed to your relatives living there--they might even know someone that lives at one of the resorts (it's a small island, everyone knows everyone) and you could maybe be that owner's guest?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

You guys are totally right! For that price it would make sense to simply spend a night at one of the affordable but still nice hotels like Sands and Sibonne. I will definetly look into the website mentioned for excursions and stuff..that "glow worm" tour sounds really cool! Good point @blamona, i'm pretty sure one of my relatives should have some type of "hook up". Alls else fails--to Club Med it is--the idea of kids everywhere, poolside, is definetly not as appealing anymore!!
Thanks a bunch guys...really helpful!!