1st Timers To Barbados - Lots of Questions!!

Jun 27th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

1st Timers To Barbados - Lots of Questions!!

Hi -

My husband and I are going to Barbados for the first time soon. We are staying in The Gap area.

I hope someone can help me with some questions I have.

#1 - Do you use US dollars or Barbadian dollars? If you use US monies, how are the items marked on menus, shops, etc.?

#2 - Has anyone rented the mokes? Is the driver on the left or right?

#3 - How is Dover Beach? A lot of vendors? Do they have any food shacks, beach chair, umbrella rentals there?

#4 - I want to try a resort course SCUBA class. Does anyone have any recommendations of reputable, safe dive operators??

#5 - How is the airport? I've only been to Jamaica and the Bahamas and only know those airports in the Caribbean. Is Barbados airport similar with customs procedures?

#6 - We are supposed to have roundtrip transfers to our hotel from the airport. Where do we get picked up? Is there a staging area for the vans/taxis/shuttles?

#7 - The Jolly Roger boat looks like a lot of fun. Any reviews?

#8 - Does anyone have a recommendation for a snorkel operator?

Thanks in advance for your answers!!
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Hi -

I'll try to help (our 17th trip will be this year).

1. You can use either dollars. US is $2 for every $1 Barbados. Menus usually state whether they are Bajan (or quote US Dollars also) -- most are Bajan dollars so simply divide by 2 (although sometimes the exchange rate may only be $1.97 to $1.

2. Mokes are ok, but there's no place to lock up your stuff if you want to wander off and explore. Also, you can get quite wet in them if it rains (although they do have plastic sides), but that doesn't always work well. We usually rent small cars that lock.

3. Dover beach is ok - lots of waves. You may find some vendors, but if you say no to something they usually accept that.

Follow this link to see your beach:
http://www.barbados.org/bcdover.htm

Follow this link for water sports:
http://www.barbados.org/sports.htm#Water

6. Airport is fine - they are expanding it so you wil see some construction. After you leave Customs and go outside there are all of the vans/taxis there and they will get one for you.

7. Jolly Roger is a party boat. It's run by Tall Ships - follow this link to read other boating options:
http://tallshipscruises.com/jollyroger/index.html

If you'd like some tips I've put together write me at:
[email protected]

Also a great new newsletter you can sign up for that's free about Barbados can be found at:
www.bajanshowcase.com
It's may be down temporarily while he's updating the site, but it's a valuable resource.

Lois
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:52 PM

We just recently returned from our first stay-over visit to Barbados - stayed in the Gap. You must try Aquapisces Restaurant - absolutely fabulous. And for one on the water with a gorgous view - Pisces. You are going to have a wonderful time!!
Jun 28th, 2003, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the great advice. I will post a trip report upon our return.

Jun 29th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Hi - regarding your resort course SCUBA - I highly recommend Sara Sayers, the owner of One on One Scuba, located in the Sandy Beach Island Resort - about 10 minutes from the Gap.

We dove with Sara in January - two very rusty certified divers - and were very impressed with her attention to safety and the quality of her equipment. We had so much fun the first day we booked again.

Her web site is:

http://one-on-one-scuba.com/index.htm
Jun 30th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Also, there is a departure tax in Barbados...$10 US each (could be more now..we were there in 2000).

Snorkeling..try Small Cats. There were supposed to be six on the boat, but the others cancelled, so it was just my husband and myself and the captain. We had a blast..fed turtles, snorkeled, and did a bit of sailing around the island.

Money. We used US everywhere, plus credit cards and never had a problem.

Airport. Nicer than Montego Bay, but smaller and not as crowded. The staging areas for taxi's is a bit hectic, but you can figure it out...just a lot of people.

Have fun! We loved Barbados.