Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   1st timers seek activities in Barbados (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/1st-timers-seek-activities-in-barbados-156961/)

Joe Feb 7th, 2002 03:26 PM

1st timers seek activities in Barbados

My girlfriend and I are looking for some fun things to do in Barbados. We are going to be staying in a resort called Rockley Plumtree Club (in Christ Church). <BR><BR>Any ideas for us? We'll be there in the last week of March. Restaurants, clubs, hiking, nightlife???

xxx Feb 7th, 2002 03:55 PM

Lots of info on this subject-try doing a search while you're waiting for a reply.

Lois Swanson Feb 11th, 2002 04:52 AM

Joey,<BR><BR>We own timeshare at Plum Tree Cluster. We always enjoy our stay there. You'll need a car or will need to use taxi's from that location as it's not on the beach. A great beach is Sandy Beach less than one mile from you. It's better than Rockley Beach where the transportation usually takes you.<BR><BR>Great restaurants on the island - 2 of the best are The Cliff and Carambola - both on West Coast.<BR><BR>A fun thing to try is an "Island Safari" - they have lots of different tours. They are lots of fun - you go off-roading in places the typical visitor never gets to see. They also have tours that combine a water portion & you can scuba.<BR><BR>Another great water type tour would be the Tiami - they have 1/2 day snorkel, swimming tours that have a great lunch included.<BR><BR>Flower Forest & Orchid World are pretty locations to walk through.<BR><BR>If you haven't been to caverns, Harrison Caves is quite pretty - you take a tram ride into the cavern.<BR><BR>Let me know if you need more ideas or suggestions. We've been 15 times. You can write me directly if you like.<BR><BR>Lois

Baje Feb 11th, 2002 08:32 AM

Whatever you do in Barbados,make sure and go to St.Lawrence Gap after dark. There are several restaurants and clubs that offer great food and dancing. Most places offer happy hour twice per evening, and my favourite is Ship Inn and Cafe Sol. The Gap is great because you can walk the strip and go club hopping.<BR><BR>I also enjoy the Jolly Roger cruise, with drinks all day, a nice lunch and partying on the sea, you know it's a great time. It's a bit touristy, but I enjoyed it never the less.<BR><BR>Also,visit the West Coast, stop at Holetown and visit Mullins beach. There are many fancy hotels in this area, and it makes for good sightseeing. Several restaurants and bars are in this area, and you must visit The Casbah at Baku.<BR><BR>Some outstanding tours are to the Malibu Rum factory, they offer an all day pass, and to Harrison Caves.<BR><BR>Enjoy Barbados

Lois Swanson Feb 13th, 2002 04:45 AM

Regarding the Gap -- I would currently avoid that area. Just this week in the Barbados papers there was an article showing all of the road work & sewer project that has torn up that entire area since last fall is ongoing. Many businesses were closing or struggling to hold on. When this is finished (maybe by summer) it should be quite nice again, but at the moment it's a place to avoid.