Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

1st time to GC - Any insight to Morritts Tortuga Club?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 07:25 AM
David & Susan

Our family is planning a week, the end of June and would like to hear from those who have stayed at this condo. Also, did you book any snorkeling trips before going? Horseback riding? Our daughters are 12 & 13. Is car rental necessary to see the island?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:08 AM
Jen

Tortuga is on the far side of GC - that's either good or bad. You would probably have everything you need as far as a restaurant on site, but you are far from other dining options and activities. You are a good 1/2 hour+ drive to anywhere from there.<BR><BR>Car rental IS necessary, esp. if you stay out that end of the island. <BR><BR>You can book snorkle trips when you get there, etc.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 03:18 PM
Sandy

You'll need a car staying there since your on the east end of the island. But there are several good restaurants in that area besides "David's" the one at Morritt's. There's also many things to do on that side of the island. There's dive shops where you can book tours right next door at the Royal Reef called Frontier Divers and at Rum Point, 10 minutes away there's Red Sail Sports that does the Stingray Sandbar tour and others. You'll want to have a car if you want to go to the 7MB side of the island and do thing there. No need to book tours before you get there. The east end of the island is very quiet and laid back, but your daughters will have tons of things to do at Morritt's. They have all kinds of activities and watersports right there. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Luisa

We were booked to stay at Morritt's last year in June. When we got there we were very disappointed. Sorry, but the room they put us in first had a horrible odour. My husband had to get a maid and she couldn't believe the smell. They sprayed our room with tons of toxic fumes. We slept there the first night but that was it. Sorry the first room had mold all over the ceiling. Then they moved us to the stinky room which also had mold behind the toilet and the place was just awfully run down. Please rethink your stay there. If I were you i'd call ahead and make sure you'll be getting a newly renovated room. This place needs a hose down if you ask me. I even took pictures for proof. Email me if you don't believe it. By the second day of smelling fumes we'd had enough packed our bags and left. Ended up staying at the Villa's of the Galleon right on 7mile beach. It was a pleasure to stay there after what we saw and smelled at Morritts. It was more pricey but who cares. It's your vacation...you have to be comfortable. And you will definetely need a car if staying at Morritts cause it's more than a 30 minute drive to town and to the best beach in Grand Cayman. The beach at Morritts was not great either. Sorry for all the bad news. Let me know if you need any other information. Hopefully you have not left yet.....talk to you soon

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Gary

If you like quiet isolation, then the east end of Cayman (where Morritts is located) is perfect for you. If you like to be close to the action (shopping, grocery stores, restaurants, nightlife), then you won't be happy on the east end. <BR><BR>If you want to explore the island, definitely rent a car. I'm sure your daughters will love the Turtle Farm (which is just north of 7 Mile Beach at the total opposite end of the island from Morritts). Enjoy Cayman<BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Kim

I agree with Gary. If you want tropical peace and tranquility stay on the East end. If you want cruise ships, shopping, and the usual tourist strip stay on 7-mile beach.<BR><BR>My husband and I stayed at Morritt's for our honeymoon in 1999 and just returned from a second trip there last month. We absolutely love the resort and the East end of the island. We have had excellent experiences there. <BR><BR>The resort definitely has a family atmosphere. There are lots of activities for kids and adults during the day and at night. You will also find that the people that stay at Morritt's seem to come back year after year. <BR>I would definitely rent a car so you may explore the island.<BR>It is extremely safe day or night.<BR><BR>During our trips we did many dives(including a Stringray City dive), visited the Turtle Farm, the Botanical Park, Hell, the Blowholes, Rum Point, the Yacht Club, went snorkeling and spend some time in Georgetown and seven mile beach. <BR><BR>The nice thing about staying on the East end or just away from seven-mile beach in general is that you have the option of peace and quiet or going into town to shop, watch the cruise ships and be a part of the crowds. People I have talked to that have stayed on seven-mile beach have listed the cruise-ships as the number one reason they would not stay there again. The place becomes absolutely flooded with cruise ship people when the ships dock Tues-Thurs.<BR><BR>I'm not sure if you have finalized you accomodations yet, but the timeshare owners at Morritt's have a website that often have very good deals. www.morritts.com<BR><BR>Email me if you have anymore questions or would like ideas of what to do on the island. My husband and I love the island so much we are seriously considering moving there.<BR><BR>