Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   1st time T&C - help! The Sands ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/1st-time-t-and-c-help-the-sands-531288/)

karenfg May 23rd, 2005 10:10 PM

1st time T&C - help! The Sands ?

going to T&C for the first time in July and planning on booking the Sands 3 bdroom oceanfront deluxe (me, hubby, two teens and our 9 year old). Has anyone stayed in one of these units? We really appreciate nice accommodations and will spend whatever $$ we need to in order to book the right resort/condo. Don't need The Palms but nice furniture and comfortable bedding preferred. Are the beds as hard as i've read in other posts on tripadvisor? Is it true the pool is freezing 24/7? I tend to take negative reviews with a grain of salt but am still curious about the pool being too cold to swim in. We love the Caribbean and LOVE the beach, but the kids DO spend a lot of time in the pool also. REALLY appreciate feedback on these few items. Also, is The Sands centrally located on Grace Bay? Thanks in advance. Booking tomorrow so any help greatly appreciated!

meta May 24th, 2005 03:43 AM

We stayed at Ocean Club West and loved it. The unit was immaculate, bed comfortable and OCW has a great pool. My 12 yr. old spent much time hanging out with other kids in it. A free shuttle is offered to take you to Ocean Club East and back. That said, with 2 teens and a 9 yr. old, Sands offers free use of kayaks, etc. I've read about the beds being hard, that's why I chose OCW. I have back problems and didn't want to wake up every morning in pain.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I walked all along Grace Bay and have to say I loved the setup of OCW and wouldn't hesitate to go back.And I'm very picky.

cdt May 24th, 2005 04:39 AM

To answer one question, The Sands is very centrally located - more or less the middle of the beach.

We also stayed at OCW and loved it, but we walked past The Sands a few times and it looked like a great place to stay.

Hard to believe the pool would be cool in July.

We've visited lots of nice beaches and we rate Grace Bay #1.

blamona May 24th, 2005 04:44 AM

the pools will be fine in July. The Sands, the Ocean Clubs, and Royal West Indies are similar properties. I was very comfortable at the Sands.

mnag May 24th, 2005 06:56 AM

We just got back from the sands. We had a two bedroom oceanfront. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed by the oceanfront view. We were in building 4 which is behind hemmingways so our view of the ocean was a bit obstructed by the restaurant and a couple trees. We were however with our toddler and did not bother asking for another room(had to wait till 3pm to get the room in the first place). Anyway regarding your question about beds...I thought the bed was very comfortable. The condo was spacious and the furniture nice (not luxurious). Also the pool was definately warm enough to swim in May so July should not be a problem. The beach is gorgeous and I thought there were plenty of huts to go around even though I had read on this board that you had to get up early to get one (they also have additional chairs under some kind of canopy behind the huts just incase the huts are all taken). The guys by the pool were great and they had floats for the kids. The Sands I think is definately centrally.

karenfg May 24th, 2005 07:36 AM

thanks so much for help everyone! I keep going back and forth between Ocean Club and Sands but think we'll probably end up booking Sands. I'm a bit concerned because when i asked what floor our 3 bd oceanfront deluxe unit would be on, they said they couldn't guarantee. If there's one particular building that seems to be the best, which one is it? We've been to Caymans, Jamaica, USVI, BVI, Cabo, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Caymans definitely has our vote for best beach. If T&C is close, we'll be thrilled!

blamona May 24th, 2005 09:34 AM

While Caymans 7 mile beach is nice, it doesn't come close to T&C's. T&C's beach will set the standards for any future travels.

meta May 24th, 2005 12:42 PM

I think the beach at the Caymans was just as nice. Also, I preferred the island, for there was more to do and the food was better.

The plus to T & C is the condos are like resorts where there is maid service, restaurants, beach bars. You need to stay in a hotel at the Caymans for that.