Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   1st Time T & C (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/1st-time-t-and-c-784925/)

january89 May 16th, 2009 01:15 PM

1st Time T & C

Per "Virginia's" advice, am considering a 1st time visit to Turks and Caicos. Would late June early July be a crazy time to go? Am wondering about rain and it being to hot, muggy or buggy.

We are 2, maybe, 4 adults and 14 and 11 year old. Don't need night life just beach, pool, dinner out, lunch and breakfast in. Condo's are usually where we try to stay. Like to snorkel, maybe boat ride, a but of sight seeing.

Checked VRBO and am leaning towards Grandview, Regent Grand or Somerset. Also checked out The Sands, Royal West Indies and Ocean Club(s). I would love advice from anyone that has stayed in any of these properties or knows anything about them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

january89 May 16th, 2009 01:17 PM

Geez, should say "a bit of sight seeing" and Ocean Club's (not sure why that face showed up!)

blamona May 16th, 2009 03:55 PM

Grandview is more residential, good chance you'd be the only tourist there..

Regent Grand is gorgeous, but definately more self-catering. Really nice pool, but no restaurant. It is in the "middle" , meaning it's easy to walk to some restaurants and shopping.

Somerset is full service, very luxurious, and walking distance to shops and restaurants too. No secret here, it's one of my favorites. Although it's luxurious, it's not pretencious, it's actually laid back.

Sands, RWI and OC are notches below the first 3. For families, Sands is my favorite in that catagory, has more kids/teens. RWI is a little more romantic. OC, my opinion, are starting to look a little dated.

I love T&C in June. It is hot, but no hotter than Virginia, and less humid. The water is usually calm and crystal clear, and bright turquoise. and while I can't predict the weather, it's never rained on me when I go in June or July. Even "rainy" season doesn't really exist in T&C, it's fairly dry. When it does rain, it lasts an hour, then the sun shines brightly again, .....

virginia May 16th, 2009 07:08 PM

lol, blamona - i do soooo appreciate you mentioning how hot i am, we shall not discuss my humidity - but i suggested provo to january89 on another post...
re weather: http://www.wunderground.com/history/...=Turks+Islands
and jan89 - blamona is fodors resident provo expert so her advice on resorts should be spot on.

Caribzack May 17th, 2009 04:56 AM

We have stayed at The Sands, The Regent Palms( no thanks) and The Somerset--LOVE the Somerset, great staff, location, restaurants, beach service, water sports and beautiful suites....

january89 May 17th, 2009 08:00 AM

Thanks for the weather link Virgina. (And I'm sure you are hot!) I had viewed some of your pics, Blamona. They ere beautiful and made me want to be there. I will check further into Somerset and surely be back with more questions.

Thank you all.

BeachGirl247 May 17th, 2009 08:09 AM

We stayed at Royal West Indies over 4th of July. The temps were hot but not miserable. Daily showers came in the afternoons and cooled things off. They lasted 10-15 minutes.
We stayed in the beachfront building so we enjoyed viewing the beautiful beach from our balcony. It was a one bedroom with a kitchenette which came in handy for a quick breakfast and afternoon snacks. It had the amenities to cook a big meal if you wished but we chose to eat out.

The Mango Restaurant on property was very nice and we ate lunch there every day. It is open air and sits by the pool area which looked very inviting with lots of lush vegetation planted around it.

We enjoyed RWI and would stay there again as it was a great value. We rented from VRBO and it was less than booking a room through the resort directly.

Blamona always has good info on Provo. She's our resident expert.
Virginia, we always knew you were hot! ;)

january89 May 17th, 2009 04:32 PM

This may not be appropriate but I'll ask anyway. COST. On Cayman we know to expect to pay about 20% more for groceries and food, liquor etc. Can anyone give me an approximate comparison for T & C? Thanks. Bonnie

virginia May 18th, 2009 02:43 AM

it is definitely ok to ask about price. i'd say to expect about the same as on grand cayman. i find dairy to be especially expensive.
actually as we stay in villas or condos we normally bring a cooler filled with meats, butter, frozen juices, etc. to save a bit and for our convenience.
another helpful tip is to purchase duty free liquor in miami or san juan on the way to the islands. (recent trip to grand cayman - 3 lg vodka & 1 bailey's = $90 from duty free. once on island 1 vodka, 1 rum and 1 baileys' = $78)

january89 May 18th, 2009 03:43 PM

Another question. Found a unit on VBRO #238665. No pictures and doesn't say what resort it is. Followed this link http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p141443 and think it is the same. Owner's phone is the same. Can any of you tell me where this place is? And anything about the place. Thanks.

january89 May 18th, 2009 03:44 PM

Also, forgot to ask if anyone is familiar with The Tuscany Resort? Thanks.

Caribzack May 18th, 2009 03:53 PM

January -the link you gave and photos is Tuscany, way down at one end of Grace Bay, very residential type of place, very nice, newish, no reataurant on site..more self catering.

january89 May 18th, 2009 04:28 PM

Caribzack, Thank you. I was wondering if that is where it was. Would you say that is too far away? Do the residential places dislike tourists staying there? I know Blamona mentioned Grandview was residential too. Somerset looks great, but pricey. Sands seems more doable. Since you have stayed there what do you think of it? Anywhere else I should be looking? Also, is a rental car necessary? Thanks. (Also, is this thread getting too long? Should I start another or is it ok to keep this going?)

Caribzack May 18th, 2009 05:01 PM

I do not like Tuscany's location as far as walking to restaurants..The Sands and Somerset ( are close to each other) are on a great stretch of beach--can walk to many dining options. Tuscany residants would not have a problem with rental. Somerset is my Favorite as I've said many times but The Sands is fantastic for a cheaper option and love the screened porches. Rental thru Grace Bay Car Rentals www.gracebaycarrentals.com excellent, older cars! It's nice to have one to go to the grocery store and check out non walkable dining spots. Taxi's are very expensive so rental car is best! IMO

january89 May 19th, 2009 03:59 PM

Still searching for a place to stay and a plane ride to get there. Anyway, in the meantime I am reading all the posts I can. Recently came across one about "crime being way up this year" in T & C. I would appreciate anyone's feedback on this. It was a trip report on Fodors that someone mentined a guy in the road swinging something at cars, someone mentioned being robbed (Caribzack, maybe) I'm generally not a fraidy cat but since my in-laws and 2 children will be with us I'd like to know what you all think.

Caribzack May 19th, 2009 04:27 PM

We were robbed last August in front of The Regent Palms, we were stupid walking late at night, I will not go into it, click on my name and the old post should be there. With that said it did not turn us away. We went back in January and plan to return again in August ( The Somerset again) Many have been arrested in the last month ... lots of police around, just be smart !! Carry a flash light if you walk at night. The guy swinging the wood at cars I think was caught!

january89 May 19th, 2009 04:43 PM

Thanks! If you have been back since then and are going again, I'm not worried. Honestly we usually aren't out at night much after dinner. (Usually too tired from all that laying around the beach!) If we stay at the Sands would be wise to rent a car? Is there a good map of the resorts online that you are aware of? All I can find is a lame map of the islands........

Also, has anyone rented using myturksandcaicos.com? They are showing availability that some of the resorts don't. Thanks.

Caribzack May 19th, 2009 04:55 PM

I think you should rent a car even for a couple of days to check out some sites--Blue Hills and Da Conch Shack for lunch is fun and to the IGA.
I would rent thru the resort directly and ask about specials.
Map..check www.wherewhenhow.com

virginia May 20th, 2009 04:12 AM

this is an excellent map. use the scroll bar - if you click on the map it takes you to a page from a small group of rental villas: http://www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com/map.htm

agree about rental car. even if just for a day or 2 to look around. be sure to drive out the south dock road to chalk sound. gorgeous color water and tons of nice villas to look at. in this area are sapadilla bay beach - very picturesque - normally has a few yachts moored, and taylor bay beach for the softest sand ever.
long bay beach is quite different from grace bay beach - rougher and has tons of conch shells washed up in some parts. if you're adventurous get a jeep and drive out to malcolm road beach.

to help with air search try kayak.com

once on island the kids might like tiki hut and sharkbite for meals - both at turtle cove marina. grown ups should plan to have a cocktail at the infinity bar at the grace bay club. yummy italian mid-island in the glass house at bella luna. hemingways is great. i love aqua also at turtle cove for a nice dinner.

january89 May 20th, 2009 05:25 AM

You guys are great, thanks for all the tips. What about The White House at Coral Gardens? It is avaiable but can't find much about it......Also, do you know what The Grace Bay Club is like?