Reload this Page >

1st Time Caribbean Travellers - July 2002 Wedding

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Terrence Bell

Hi all. <BR> <BR>My fiancee and I have decided that we wish to get married in the Caribbean next July (my family is west coast - hers is east coast - trust me, it's just easier if we elope...). <BR> <BR>Anyway, we've chosen to go down to St. Lucia based on the recommendations in a number of travel books and our travel agent. I do have a number of questions that I hope you all may be able to answer: <BR> <BR>1- Neither of us has been to the Caribbean before and are not quite sure what to expect from St. Lucia. (We're both fairly sheltered people who, luckily enough, have lived nice, safe, middle class lives) We assume that things aren't as peaceful and tranquil as they appear in the Sandals video, but a number of posts on this site have me concerned about safety issues that have arisen; <BR>2- Based on the aforementioned recommendations, we are leaning heavily towards Sandals Halcyon. Is this a good choice, given our lack of "worldly" experience, or is there another all-inclusive you can recommend; <BR>3- Assuming we stay at Halcyon, is it better to book the highest level non-concierge room, or the lowest level concierge room; <BR>4- It is safe to leave the resort and go into the cities? I would hate to have to stay confined to the resort, and not experience the people and culture of St. Lucia. From everything I've read, the market and the "jump-up" on Friday nights sound great; and, <BR>5- Any other words of encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Kim

Yes, it safe to leave the resort. And by all means do. Enjoy the excursions offered by the resort and venture out to shop on your own. We spent 8 day at the Sandals Golf & Spa Resort in Feb and loved it. We did visit the smaller Sandals for dinner but am glad we picked the larger one. The pool was much bigger and more resturants to choose from. I can send you photos if you like and an excursion sheet which tell you the outing. The island is some what poor and the people their dont have what us Americans have, but dont judge them on that they are great people. "Jump Up" is fun and lots of visitors do go to that. <BR>We did a Sunset Dinner Cruise and a Day Sail and it was awsome. Shopped in town and rented a Taxi for the day for $35pp left at 10:00 am and visited the whole island all the little villages and stopped and ate. Did not return to the resort till about 7:00 pm. Take lots of film as everwhere you turn is a great view. email me if you like or have ?'s. Sorry for rambleing

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Kim

By the way my daughter was married at the Sandals In Nassau in May of this yr.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Martita

I was in St Lucia in June...it is a lovely island.....fabulous people!! <BR>In fact, I cruise 3 or 4 times a year in the Caribbean...have visited many islands...St. Lucia and St. Barts are my favorites!! And VERY safe!! Would be a great honeymoon! Good luck!

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Dixie

T.B. Stayed at Halcyon in August and love it!! Went over to the larger resort and did not like it as well. Halcyon is lowrise along the beach, the staff is wonderful and also the food. <BR>We spoke with people on the bus back and forth, from the comments, the staff at Golf and Beach were not as friedly, maybe due to the fact that the the resort is so large it is hard to get to know their guest. <BR>Very safe to leave the resort, be sure to take the sail trip to the Pitons, unbelievable! <BR>The pool at Golf and Beach is larger but always crowded and noisey. There are two pools at Halcyon, one with music and party people, and one nice quiet one with a great bartender, Agnes. She makes great Jamaican Hummingbirds! Have fun!

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Kim

We never found the pools crowded or noisey, and the staff was very friendly. Everybody has their own opinion thats why this board is here. do some more digging and then make up your mind. The brochures and vidios are pretty much how things really look. Ill send you real pictures if you like.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Penney

Sandals Halyconis a wonderful resort. It is very laid back, romantic, casual and just totally relaxing. <BR> <BR>As far as room - the concierge is a nice perk if you want the bar and have reservations made for you but at Halycon, one that you can save the money and do without simply because aside from being beach front, these rooms are exactly the same as other rooms but a mere 4 feet larger. There is not a single bad room location on the property as the entrire resort is very lush and tropical. <BR> <BR>The resort has wonderful food, great personal service but you still have all the options at the larger Sandals as well but a quieter atmosphere. <BR> <BR>It is safe to leavae the resort but the resort can book all tours and trips for you. Do not miss a trip to the Pitons - really wonderful!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Terry

Thanks to all who replied to this post. Kim, I received your note with the list of off-site activities - many thanks! <BR> <BR>TBB