17 Great Days in Puerto Rico

Feb 22nd, 2000, 02:29 AM
Jay

17 Great Days in Puerto Rico

We just finished a great vacation in PR: a couple of days in Ceiba/Fajardo, 5 days on Vieques, 5 days in the Guanica area visiting the forest, Ponce, Boqueron, La Parguera and, of course, Gilligan's Island, and 5 days on the north coast visiting Camuy, the Arecibo Observatory, Viejo San Juan, El Yunque, and Luquillo.

It's a great country!

Feb 22nd, 2000, 03:27 AM
Peg

Hi Jay -- we're off to PR on Saturday (woo-hoo! ;-). staying 2 nights in Rincon, plan to explore the area between there & Ponce on Sunday, including hitting a few beaches. Did you snorkle at La Parguera? any recommendations on beaches, snorkeling, food, etc., between Rincon & Ponce? We will take the north route from SJ to Rincon on Saturday, but are thinking about taking the south/mountain route back to SJ thru Ponce Monday. Appreciate any feedback on roads, driving, etc. thanks!

Feb 23rd, 2000, 02:53 AM
Jay

Hi, Peg: It sounds like you've planned a fairly aggresive Sunday drive. So, let me start with 'driving'. Roads are often quite narrow, poorly marked, and in poor repair. Drivers are often somewhat aggressive and (in some cases) in poor repair. When choosing mountain routes, assume that the drive will take a good deal longer than originally estimated.

We did our snorkeling of Fajardo, Vieques, and Guanica - not La Paguera. There's some very nice, secluded beaches just east of the Copamarina Reort on Rt. 333, but that's a bit out of the way unless you're staying in the area. By the way, Guanica is a great area to visit.

The Restaurante El Pescador in Boqueron and Puerto Santiago in La Guancha (Ponce) are both very good.

Finally, be aware than many things close on Sunday or Monday, so plan accordingly.

Have a great time.

Feb 23rd, 2000, 03:39 AM
peg

Hi Jay - thanks for the reply. We're there Sun-Mon, so we'll just have to deal with closures, etc. We'll sit on a beach if things are closed; we really don't care.

We intend to stay pretty much on main roads which I trust aren't too bad. I have heard about the "side" roads being bad, narrow, twisty, etc.. and the drivers. (one person said to me, "pick a lane, get to 55, and DRIVE! Don't worry about the others, they'll go around you!" we'll see... ;-)

While we hope to explore as far as Ponce on Sunday, our plan is to just hit the road early sunday (knowing hardly anything will be open, but that's okay with us--figure traffic will be less at any rate) and see where the MAIN roads take us. Love to explore, but not really much of a pioneer.

You mentioned La Parguera in your original message, which is why I asked about it. I heard snorkeling is good there...

question: is El Junque a "don't miss"? We only have one afternoon that we could go there, and I hear it is beautiful, but we are reluctant to eat up 1/2 day beach time doing this... (hey, we have our priorities). if not El Junque, what would you put as "don't miss"?

if you have further thoughts, please write again, and thanks again. happy trails!

Feb 23rd, 2000, 03:10 PM
Jay

What to do with half a day depends a great deal on what you like. We loved El Yunque but, if I had to choose between the rain forest and an afternoon lounging on the beach at Luquillo, I'd take Luquillo.

In my opinion, both the fort and the bioluminescent bay (Vieques) are very, very special.

The advice you received on driving was pretty good...

Have fun!

Feb 24th, 2000, 03:11 AM
peg

Jay - I'm with you on the beach vs forest... and we definitely will spend a few hours in old SJ so will see the fort; have to do Vieques next time. thanks again for your help.
less than 48 hours now!

Feb 24th, 2000, 03:28 PM
Jim

Jay: You are one fine fellow for taking your time to write. We are going 3/25/00 thru 4/1/00. We booked on-line with The Gallery Inn Old San Juan. Should we be worried about crime in Old SJ? The beach sounds better to me than beating down the road...I drive.Any encouragement? Thanx, Jim

Feb 25th, 2000, 02:25 AM
Jay

Jim:

My wife and I are in our mid-50's. We walked and drove all over PR, Viejo San Juan included. It's just a matter of being aware of your surroundings (and thoroughly enjoying them). For the most part, it's a great country with good people. Have fun!

Feb 26th, 2000, 07:17 PM
Diane

I don't think you're very near a beach, at the Gallery Inn, if it is the place I'm recalling, but Old San Juan is very lovely. Have lunch or dinner at Amadeus, and try the baked brie with guava sauce. mmmmmm I dream of it often. Actually, the drive from San Juan across the mountains to Ponce is very easy -- it is a lovely new highway (Probably the nicest one on the island...others were much more, um challenging.) Ponce is a charming town with a beautiful beach. It might be worth a day trip.