Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

12 adults looking for houses, villa, etc... in bahamas.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 06:38 AM
ken

we are 12- 15 adults going on vacton next year and are looking for somwhere to stay that is not a hotel, resort. Any ideas to start search would be great. thanx much, ken

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 09:48 AM
kendra

I've been looking at Abacos, in the Bahamas. I've gotten a great brochure from Abacos Island rentals. The rates are great ranging from less than $100 night one bedroom cottages to 5 bedroom houses for $$$$thousands/night.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:22 PM
joan

Ken,
Try your search on vacationspot.com or mclaughlinanderson.com. Which island are you interested in?

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Penney

www.vacationspot.com is a great site - you can also look at www.vrbo.com

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:05 AM
Ken

Thank you so much for your advice. Any other ideas from anyone, specific experiences with beach houses in the caribbean?

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 05:39 AM
AbacoPeach

Also try www.oii.net. A lot of information there and then click on the Abaco Community Message Board. A lot more information and very helpful people!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:32 AM
philip

If you are not going on a tight budget and want to go someplace unique, check into Mustique. There are many houses for rent and some of them are spectacular.
It is a very secluded Island that is part of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Mick Jagger, David Bowie and members of the royal family own homes there.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:00 PM
joan

Ken, I have personal experience with villa rentals on Tortola, St. Lucia, and Eleuthera, and the US, but we have only rented 2 to 4 bedroom villas. In my opinion, you will find what you're looking for on Virgin Gorda. I have wanted to go there for years (been to Tortola in the BVI...) but all the villas seemed too huge for our needs. Perhaps this would be perfect for your big group. Some of those places had up to 8 bedrooms, were absolutely gorgeous, and when you split the cost, can be reasonable, especially in shoulder or low season. Also, pick up a copy of Caribbean Travel & Life Magazine. There are many ads in there for larger villas which are independently rented or have only an email but then they'll send you pix. Good Luck!