Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > 1 yr anniversary Caribbean experience advice please!!
Notices

1 yr anniversary Caribbean experience advice please!!

Sep 27th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

1 yr anniversary Caribbean experience advice please!!

Hello everyone!

My husband and I will be vacationing in mid-late May 2014 as a late one year anniversary gift. We honeymooned in Aruba Sept 2012 and stayed at the Bucuti and Tara Suites on Eagle Beach. The experience was wonderful. It was my husbands first time to vacation on a beach. I have only vacationed in Puerto Vallerta, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel before we visited Aruba.

We are looking for another Caribbean vacation. We would prefer a resort for adults only. Our budget is $5,000. All-inclusive would be nice but its not a deal breaker. We have experience in renting a car and island exploring as well. We also love to deep sea fish and would like to include this in our future trip as well.

We have looked at several islands but I wanted to seek advice. I have no specific islands of choice right now. Also, if you recommend somewhere other than the Caribbean, feel free to include info.

Thanks so much in advance!

Medbarnes
Sep 27th, 2013, 07:11 AM

Is your $5000 budget only for accommodations & food or does it also include airfare and excursions/activities? The answer will have a big influence on where you'll get the best "bang for your buck".

You'll find the highest concentration of All Inclusives in the Dominican Republic and Jamaica so you might want to begin your search there. Antigua is a smaller island with few All Inclusives.

If you are will to forego the ALL Inclusive route you may find the US or British Virgin Islands to your liking - those island offer a wide variety of resort accommodations, some fantastic beaches, access to lots of water sports, various types of land based activities and some of the best deep sea fishing in the Caribbean.

Honestly, you haven't given us much to go on other than you have a $5,000 budget, you are traveling in May, you want to go fishing and you liked Aruba. Given those perimeters you can go almost anywhere. You really need to give us something more to help us help you to narrow down your choices - otherwise we are "guessing" just as much as you.
Sep 27th, 2013, 07:35 AM

In my opinion I’d say if you were looking for the perfect island to go on vacation, then you should choose Bermuda.

It is the most romantic place on earth with some of the most beautiful beaches on the planet. Bermuda is perfect for swimming, snorkelling and deep sea fishing. You could go for a walk, take in the surroundings or go hire a scooter. What better place to spend your anniversary.
Sep 27th, 2013, 08:04 AM

How warm would May be in Bermuda?

There are many places that come to mind. How about Bouganvillia in Barbados. More than likely not spelled correctly but it is easy to find--it seems to receive consistent high ratings per trip advisor. It looks lovely and even w/o air it would fit your budget. It seems on par with Bucuti in Aruba. If you want a/I you could look at a Sandals property one in Antigua. I like to explore and eat out so a/I are not for me. I find the food to be mediocre at best.

There are basically millions of ideas.
Sep 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM

diann24,

"High season" in Bermuda generally runs from May to October, although some hotels increase their rates from April 15th onward.
We have travelled to Bermuda in May, June, September, October and November. The locals we have chatted with generally agree that June is the best weather month. However, on all of our May vacations we have had a "beach vacation". You will temps in the high 70's low 80's and the water temps ranging from approximately 73-75. The locals don't go to the beach until Bermuda Day. In 2014 this holiday will be celebrated on May 26th.
Sep 27th, 2013, 10:03 AM

We loved our recent anniversary at Secrets Maroma Beach!!
Sep 30th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of the info. To answer the question from RoamsAround, our budget is $5,000 without air flights. I understand there are a lot of options. I just know that there are so many experienced travelers on this site and I have high appreciation of your advice.
Oct 1st, 2013, 01:49 PM
KVR

If you want AI, I would look at Antigua or St. Lucia. Antigua will be more like Aruba, beach wise. St. Lucia is more tropical with mountains, waterfalls and lots of greenery.

In Antigua look at Galley Bay or Coconut Beach Club.

In St. Lucia look at Rendezvous

If your budget allows; Palm Island Resort in St. Vincent & The Grenadines
Oct 3rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I will look at these as well.

Search this Thread