St.Thomas taxi

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:13 AM
Cara

St.Thomas taxi

When getting a taxi from the airport to the hotel in St.Thomas, do we need to negotiate the price first with the taxi driver?

Any other advice for St.Thomas? Thanks!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:25 AM
chazz

There are a couple of websites that list the fixed taxi fares for St. Thomas and St. John - I believe www.usvi-on-line.com and www.vinow.com have this.

You can then confirm, before climbing in, that the fare is what it should be.

There are extra charges for suitcases, late night trips, holidays, etc.

Fares are generally high and there are extra charges for extra people, so the more people in your group, the more it makes sense to rent a car. There were three of us and we rented a car for 8 days. It only took about 10 minutes to get used to driving on the left, and we thought the roads were well-marked and in good condition by Caribbean standards.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 12:12 PM
vicki

There are set rates for the taxi's they are very expensive. We found a fabulous taxi driver when in STT in late February. His name is Fleming and he drives Old Suzee. He is stationed at the Ritz but if you call the Ritz and ask for him you can get him..he will then give you a card and you can use him exclusively. This man went above and beyond for my husband and I and he was so charming. Each time we went anywhere he took us a different way to see the island..also, upon a boat trip I forgot our passports so he brought me back from Red Hook to Frenchman's Reef and return free of charge!! That is like a $20 taxi fare. Again, once in STT ask for Fleming and enjoy. Since taxi's are so expensive you should have a great person drive you!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Jack

If you arrive and there are a lot of people rushing to get taxis - and the van driver is loading them in without verifying destinations - - you may spend a lot of time journeying from hotel to hotel. We always ask where he's bound and we always verify price.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:38 PM
VirginIslander

Wrong! the dispatcher will put you in a taxi. you don't arrange you own and they may be multi-destination. there is no extra charge for holidays but there is for extra baggage sometimes. The rate is regulated but reaffirm it and the rate is reduced for two or more passengers in the party traveling to the same destination.