Yummy Canadian cookies

Mar 31st, 2006, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Yummy Canadian cookies

About a dozen years ago I had a Canadian boyfriend with a relative that send him boxes of the most delicious cookies. He told me they were the number one favorite in Canada. I seem to recall he was from Saskatchewan, so maybe they were the number one favorite there. Since I'm going to Calgary and points east and west in May from far south of the Canadian/US border, I thought I'd try to find some. My memory is very hazy on this, but I seem to recall they were named after a queen or a princess. They were rich with butter and I think had a lemon flavor. They were so good. Does anyone have a clue what they could be if they're still made? Thanks!
Mar 31st, 2006, 03:01 PM

I can't remember , but you are sure making me drool! Were they a wafer with lemon filling? or a single layer cookie? I'll do my best ot try and remember! I'm having a flashback of a wafer type cookie..very light and flaky with the lemon filling. Does this sound like it?
Mar 31st, 2006, 04:35 PM

Could they be the Peak Freans brand, which is British - perhaps the shortbread type? I usually buy these cookies when I'm in Ontario, so I know they're still around.
Apr 1st, 2006, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

They're not Peak Freans because I'm familiar with them and would remember that. I'm glad you told me about getting them in Canada because I like them too.

They were a single layer cookie, not a filled cookie, and I think the name, or the name of the company, had something to do with royalty.

I can almost taste them.

And the boyfriend sailed off into the sunset, so I won't be able to ask him.
Apr 1st, 2006, 10:29 AM

I did a Google search for "lemon cookies royal" and found this:

http://www.walkersus.com/shop/custom...cat=255&page=1

Is that it? If so, they look like British cookies that were likely imported into Canada, but weren't a Canadian brand.
Apr 1st, 2006, 10:37 AM

Oh... I'm also wondering if those cookies came from Marks & Spencer. They used to have Marks & Spencer stores all throughout Canada up until the late 90's or so, and would have a line of food products called "St.Michael's". There were all kinds of St Michael's brand cookies and tea biscuits - does that sound familiar?

And if that's not it, then all I can think of are these tiny little lemon cookies that were about an 2 inches in diameter with a slightly raised center and somewhat soft - the kind of cookies you would give a really young child. If those sound like the ones you're talking about, I'll ask my mom what the name of those were, because I'm sure she could tell you. I know I've seen them in the grocery stores, at least at Safeway.
Apr 1st, 2006, 10:59 AM
LJ

I am thinking either a President's Choice specialty (they come and go, depending on availabilty and season)or possiby you came across a Purity Lemon Cream biscuit? Purity is an east coast brand but does find its way out west wherever Newfoundlander's gather.
Apr 1st, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

President's Choice sounds like it. Just goes to show you what a dozen years does to your memory. They were so rich and oh so good.

I hadn't tasted the Walker's brand lemon cookies, but ate my way through lots of that brand of shortbread on a trip a few years ago to Scotland. I'll look for them too.

Thank you all. I hope I can find them in Calgary.
Apr 1st, 2006, 02:09 PM

President's Choice is a brand you can find across Canada at the Canadian Superstore markets: http://www.superstore.ca/

You'll definitely find them in Calgary
Apr 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM
BAK

Re>they were named after a queen or a princess<

Well, the president of president's choice certainly was neither a queen nor a princess.

But he was a good guy, and he really loved fine food, and he developed a brand that brought a lot of new tates to Canadians, coast to coast.

Find yourself a big supermarket owned by Loblaw -- various names from No Frills to Loblaw to Superstore to Candian Superstore to Fortinos, to several others -- and spend some time wandering the aisles looking for teh president's Choice labels. You'll probably find other interesting things, too.

The President, who is really Dave Nicol, has left the company, but the brand is still there. And while a lemon cookie is a favorite, the real PC cookie champ is the decadent chocolate chip. It's so good it made other cookie companies improve their products in order to sell any of their cookies.

And, is ther Kraft Dinner in the USA? If not, take some of this macaroni and chesse home with you. 87.4 percent of Canadian university students not living at home eat Kraft dinner four to six times a week. 76.8 percent of Candadian teenagers forced to cook at home when their parents are out make KD, and then eat it straight from the pot.

Mothers are disgusted, but fathers are not, because they do the same thing when their wife is away and the fathers do the cooking.

BAK
Apr 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM

Okay, this is probably a longshot...what about the empire cookie..but that is 2 layers...a bit lemony with a raspberry filling..I am puzzled!
Apr 1st, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Since we will be renting an RV in Calgary, I'll definitely be in the supermarkets.

I'll have to look for those Empire cookies because DH loves cookies with raspberry in the middle. And I'm a big chocolate chip cookie fan myself.

BAK, that's really interesting info about the where the name President's Choice game from. When we're in the supermarket, I'll bring out this bit of trivia. DH and I both like to do that.

Actually, we live in the Caribbean, where supermarkets don't have much selection and the prices are sky high, so going grocery shopping on vacation is one thing I really enjoy.

I think I'll pass on the Kraft Dinner, though.
Apr 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM

Could it be these? They are a butter cookie with a hint of lemon and they are great.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/FoodA...kies/catid/179
Apr 1st, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

They didn't look like the Dutch Butter Cookies. I looked at all the ones on the list that came up when I clicked on the link provided by CAT123, and none of them looked like it either. They were a round cookie, thiner on the edges than in the middle. The lenght of the box went from left to right, not top to bottom.

Perhaps, as someone suggested earlier, they don't make them anymore. But, I've got lots of ones to try out now that I've got the brand firmed up.

Thanks to you all.
Apr 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM

OK - One more try...

http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/foo646412.html
Apr 1st, 2006, 04:24 PM

Now, I should of said that Empire cookies are actually more of a specialty around christmas!
Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

The Crabtree Evelyn cookies look like the ones I remember, but I'm pretty sure after all this discussion, President's Choice was the name. But, I'm sure willing to give them all a taste test.

Thanks.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:38 AM

As already mentioned, President's Choice is actually a stores own brand. so if you don't see the brand in one store, be sure and go into another store, like Loblaws. Or ask someone which stores carry President's Choice.
I don't recall the lemon cookie, but all the President's Choice cookies are good. In fact, most of the President's Choice products are good.
Even if you don't find the right cookie, enjoy all the other ones you'll test!!