Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Your Restaurant Recommendations for Montreal and Quebec City (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/your-restaurant-recommendations-for-montreal-and-quebec-city-77336/)

Mike Miller Jun 26th, 2000 02:37 AM

Your Restaurant Recommendations for Montreal and Quebec City

Looking for input on your favorite restaurants in these two beautiful cities. We are going up there shortly. Please also let us know if we need to make reservations.

Bob Brown Jun 26th, 2000 04:49 PM

In Quebec City we ate at Louis Hebert. <BR>It is located near the tourist office, just outside of the old city walls not far from the Plains of Abraham. There are several restaurants along there. <BR>The menus are posted and a representative stands outside of the door to answer your questions. I gather that the code of conduct dictates that the restaurant representative standing there cannot approach you; you must ask him or her a direct question about the food. <BR>I had scallops, and I can safely say that they were best I ever ate -- anywhere, and I am a scallop fan. Like Diogenes hunting for an honest man, I have hunted high and low for gourmet style scallops. I finally found them at Louis Hebert's place. My wife had salmon, which was high average good. <BR>Desserts were more than adequate.

donna Jul 3rd, 2000 05:12 AM

A resto I really like in Quebec is the Vieux Cannons on right on the Grande Alle., you can eat outside under the awning and there is live ethnic music. Delicious food, escellent service.There is a vietnamese place in lower town on rue St. Paul we like for lunch and it fun to go antique-ing there too. Au Petit Coin Breton is fun for breakfast. All the restos have hostesses outside with menus, so you can walk up and down the streets and "shop" for dinner. <BR> <BR>In Montreal, Schwartz's deli is a hoot and the smoked meat is delicious (very crowded at lunch), The Red Thai on St Laurent (lotts of great eateries there) and Delhi Restaurant on St- Denis (also a good area to shop and eat). donna

dougd Jul 5th, 2000 11:46 AM

In Montreal, try the ethnic byob retaurants on Duluth st. Lots of fun, dining out on the patios. Jardin des Panos is perhaps the best.

Daniel williams Jul 5th, 2000 03:04 PM

Montreal is a gastronomical delight. There are so many amazing restaurants, not to mention patisseries, boulangeries and bucheries. <BR> <BR>I'll just mention a few of my favorites. <BR> <BR>Great deals: Ouzeri on St. Denis (corner Gilford; Metro Laurier) is a Greek restaurant with a somewhat bon chic bon genre crowd. Portions are great/the selection of wines was very impressive. One of the best restaurants in terms of quality/price. Reserve. <BR> <BR>Amelio's--non-smoking Italian resto. Ask for their spaghetti special if there on a weekday. CAN$4.99 for salad, bread, homemade green or white linguini with meatless or meat sauce plus coffee. Incredible deal; great for the budget-conscious. Spaghetti special is mostly secret; crowd: McGill grad students/profs mostly, some businesspeople. <BR> <BR>Le Commensal: One of the best vegetarian buffets I've seen. Several locations around the city. McGill College location crowd: chi-chi businesswomen with expensive foulards. Saint Denis locations crowd: more urban Bohemian/grungy & family. <BR> <BR>Chu Chai: Vegetarian Thai restaurant. Love their sticky rice and curries. <BR> <BR>Moderate: <BR> <BR>Bato Thai: in le Village Gai (not for homophobes) St. Catherine E., metro Beaudry. Fun ambience, great Thai food. <BR> <BR>If you like Swiss, la Raclette on Gilford (corner Christophe-Colomb, metro Laurier) is a jewel. For the quality of service & food preparation, it's a steal. BYOW. Their oak leaf salad with raspberry dressing was out of this world. (As was just about everything else.) Reserve. <BR> <BR>Modigliani's is very charming with live musicians every night I've been. Great place to entertain; quality of food superlative. Reserve. <BR> <BR>Expensive: (Reserve) <BR> <BR>Toque on St. Denis is supposedly incredible from what all my friends and actually worth every penny. Each dish is lovingly, meticulously prepared and is a masterpiece. Maybe someday I'll bite the bullet and go :) <BR> <BR>Les Caprices de Nicolas I've also heard is fabulous. <BR> <BR>As you can see, I could go on and on...there are so many outstanding restaurants in Montreal, I can't even begin... <BR> <BR>Have a GREAT time! Dan.