Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Your favorite Toronto hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/your-favorite-toronto-hotel-129040/)

Jean Jun 9th, 2001 04:55 AM

Your favorite Toronto hotel?

I've scanned this board for posts on good hotels in Toronto, and have found suprisingly few recommendations. Any opinions on good place to stay (and those to stay away from!) would be greatly appreciated. As for a price range, I think $150 US is about what we'd like to pay. I'm mostly lost about what area to stay in - we want to be close to things like the CN Tower, Art Gallery and Harbourfront(I think?). We are travelling with our two teenagers. Thanks ahead of time for your help! <BR>Jean

Brian Kilgore Jun 9th, 2001 07:20 AM

The reason, perhaps, that you don't see too many recommendations (I not all that sure this is true, but anyway...) is that most of the big tourist hotels are all very good. <BR> <BR>This is a big-time city, and we get a lot of guests who demand good service and value for money. <BR> <BR>What we can say for sure is that for the majority of tourists, pick a mid-town or downtown hotel, near Bloor Street on the North and the lake on the south, between Spadina Avenue on the west and Jarvis Street on the east. <BR> <BR>I think $150US is a bit on the light side for the five hotels you mentioned in your other message. But maybe I'm wrong. Check carefully. <BR> <BR>Within the boundaries above, one Sheraton, three marriotts, the Four Seasons, the Windsor Arms, the Intercontinental, Hilton, Westin, maybe a Renaissance or two, perhaps a Ramada or two (they keep changing names)are all excellent hotels. The Holiday Inn on King and the Crown Plaza have much to be said for them. The Royal York is a spectacular place <BR> <BR>Toronto's is both compact and spread out; you can get around within these boundaries easily, but might pick a hotel for what is within walking distance. Near Bloor and AVenue Road are expensive, sophisticated places; near King and University (Crowne Plaza, Royal York, Holiday Inn on King) is funky and "rgular" shopping, great mid-priced (and expensive) restaurants, and strange people to look at. <BR> <BR>I used to stay at hotels in Toronto, and it was always a difficult choice because there are so many good ones to pick from. (I forgot the Metropolitan in my list) <BR> <BR>Can you tell us more about the kids? that might help. But it is hard to go wrong, except by going too fancy for the mood of your family. <BR> <BR>If I had friends with teenagers coming to town, I'd make sure I checked rates and availability at the Sheraton Center, Eatons Center Marriott, Holiday Inn on King, Westin Harbor Castle, Royal York. <BR> <BR>Where to stay away from? Anywhere outside the boundaries specified. Anywhere under $150 Canadian except hotels within the Choice Hotels group (Quality, comfort, Journey's End and some other brands), the Victoria and the Strathcona, Bond Place and the Days Inn on Carleton. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR>

Brian Kilgore Jun 9th, 2001 07:21 AM

And the Delta Chelsea Inn would be on my list of places to check rates and availability, too.

Brian Kilgore Jun 9th, 2001 07:24 AM

Go read the Marriott Bloor Yorkville thread for some info on hotel rates in Toronto. It may make you change your five-hotel list when yousee the numbers, considering your $150US a night target. <BR> <BR>BAK

Jean Jun 9th, 2001 08:53 AM

I've booked a room at the Westin Harbor Castle (partial harbor view) for $107USD (with a 50% award thru their frequent stay program - sounds like a great price) and one at the Intercontinental for $192USD which includes breakfast for two and free parking. I've decided against the Four Seasons (because of the possible "stuffiness" aspect) and the Hyatt (the cost was pretty high and I wasn't impressed with the person at reservations who waited on me). I've yet to check the Hilton. I'll have to decide on which of the reservations to cancel. They both look good, but appear to be pretty different accomodations. Ya'll are very helpful to this Southerners vacation planning! <BR>Jean

Elizabeth Jun 11th, 2001 03:51 PM

Jean: Don`t forget that your $100 US is worth $152 Canadian at to-days rate.

Bonnie Jun 12th, 2001 11:14 PM

If you want space to accomodate the whole family, check out Bay-Bloor Executive Suites. You can reach their website at toronto.com. They have 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, an indoor pool, and are about 3 blocks from Bloor Street.

Mark Jun 13th, 2001 04:57 AM

We've stayed at the Metropolitan and will again for a week in August. <BR> <BR>Granted, the rooms tend to be small but are beautifully furnished. After checking on the web at various booking sites we found the best rate by calling the hotel directly and getting a special, (unpublished) rate. <BR> <BR>We were offered at $169. CDN ("Leisure Rate") per night for the room, full breakfast for two (and the food in this hotel is superb!) PLUS parking! The room we booked was apparently basic w/ a Queen size bed and having had previously a very positive experience at the hotel, we decided to upgrade to what they classify as a "Luxury Room" with King bed at $199.CDN per. <BR> <BR>Since we get such a good exchange rate and we will be on vacation, we decided "what the hey". And, BTW this was after we were confirmed (subsequently cancelled) at the Delta Chelsea ($215. CDN at the AAA rate) Club Floor which provides a continental breakfast W/O THE PARKING. <BR> <BR>Figuring the parking to be worth about $20. CDN per night and that there is a substantial difference between a "club floor continental breakfast" and what we would expect (based on past experience at the Metropolitan at their excellent restaurant), we still feel we <BR>are saving substantially. (It is true that we won't be getting complimentary hor dourves or soft drinks, but the savings pays for alot of potato chips and soda.) <BR> <BR>In past trips to Toronto we've stayed at the Sheraton Centre (Towers Room) as well as the Park Hyatt and were well-satisfied. But, room size aside, the Metropolitan's quality, funishings and service level ranks with both of them. <BR> <BR>The hotel has workout facilities and a nice-sized indoor pool and the dressing rooms are kept scrupulously clean and superbly equipped (including every kind of toiletry you could possibly imagine). <BR> <BR>You might want to check out their website: www.metropolitan.com

bennie Jun 13th, 2001 06:01 AM

If its any help, we got a rate of $199cdn (130 us) a night at the Delta Chelsea. This is for a superior room (2 queens, larger size & a few more amenities than standard)and includes the tax, breakfast cooked to order ,and parking. Not sure its the best deal out there but it ain't bad. Its calle the No Tax pkg. I think the tax thing is just a gimmick but what the heck.