Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Your favorite restaurant in Tofino (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/your-favorite-restaurant-in-tofino-704852/)

dina4 May 13th, 2007 07:33 PM

Your favorite restaurant in Tofino

We have 4 nights to eat out. Looking for recommendations.

We're already set for sure on one night at SOBO, and have pretty much decided that the Pointe Restaurante at the Wick is probably to pricey for our family of 4.

Thanks!!
dina

NWWanderer May 13th, 2007 08:01 PM

I really like the West Coast suppers they do at Middle Beach, where they serve one thing, like fresh salmon or Dungeness crab. They usually open them up to non-guests on a space available basis. They're informal, delicious, and a great way to meet fellow travelers.

Raincoast Cafe is another place I like a lot, although with kids it may not be the best choice--I guess it depends on how old your kids are (I can't remember, sorry) and what they like.

cmcfong May 14th, 2007 03:21 AM

Another vote for Raincoast. Halibut there is the stuff of dreams.
Sadly the Common Loaf has closed. It was a great little cafe.

BikerScott May 14th, 2007 03:36 PM

Just back from Tofino two weekends ago - we had a fantastic dinner at The Schooner, and possibly the BEST fish and chips I've EVER had in my life at the Dockside Pub at the Weigh West hotel...
We also had a fairly good and extremely reasonably priced meal at the restaurant that's just above the float plane dock - I unfortunately forget the name of it - sorry...

craig91355 May 14th, 2007 07:39 PM

Yet another vote for Raincoast Cafe.

marthaf9 May 15th, 2007 06:11 AM

The restaurant that's just above the float plane dock is the Sea Shanty.

dina4 May 15th, 2007 08:25 PM

Thanks so much, everyone. I really appreciate all the good tips!

dina4 May 19th, 2007 06:31 AM

Just saw the website menu for Raincoast Cafe and it looks delicious! They don't have prices, though, and i was just wondering if any of you remembered the price range.

Thanks again. You people are so nice and helpful!!

craig91355 May 19th, 2007 04:03 PM

Our dinner for two at Raincoast last June (including drinks and tip)was $90 (about $80 US).

Dinner at SOBO was $69 ($62 US).

dina4 May 19th, 2007 05:06 PM

Thanks, Craig. That is really helpful. I think we'll try both of those places.

dina

JSCChan May 20th, 2007 02:38 AM

Tough City Sushi and also another vote for The Schooner and the Wick

dina4 May 20th, 2007 07:50 AM

Yes, the Schooner and Raincoast Cafe keep coming up.
They both seem great.

1JAR May 22nd, 2007 05:54 PM

We are planning our first trip to BC including VAncouver to Whistler to NAanimo to Tofino and then to Victoria last.

We're so disapponted to learn the Common Loaf has closed..any otehr suggestions for good bakery products or should we bring tehm with us from Whistler or Nanimo? And from what bakeries?

Pete1222 May 23rd, 2007 03:39 PM

Since we just returned from Tofino I can only totally agree w/ what NWWander has said about the Dungeness Crab meal (Fridays--but check). I think that it was $35 each which included excellent shrimp ordervers (sp?) and seconds on the crab which is as freash as you'll ever have. (Children might be 1/2 price). And just say hello to the people at the next table and you'll most likely have a new friend. Great lounge to watch the sunset too.
I think that NWWander recommended this place to stay also and since the weather was perfect we booked it for 2 nights. We were there 15 minutes and I picked up the phone and booked it for a 3rd night. We did visit The Wick. (It's very sophisticated) but we'll be returning to the Middle Beach Lodge.
Enjoy!
pete

dina4 May 23rd, 2007 06:37 PM

I looked on their website but couldn't find anything about that special family style meal. Maybe I should wait till we get up there and call. (we're staying at Chesterman Beach B&B) We will be staying Wed - Sunday.
Or maybe I'll just email them...

Sounds like you had a great time, Pete! I hope you write a trip report soon!!

thanks again,
dina

Pete1222 May 24th, 2007 02:34 PM

Ask for the manager when you call. I think that his name was Brent. He is excellent---low key, helpful and honest. An hour before dinner he serves wine in the lounge and was never pushy. $6 or $7 dollars a glass but they could charge $9 since you're pretty much a captive audience.
There were some famlies w/ kids.
Also there is a library downstairs...
Good luck!
pete