Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Young adults looking for hot spot hotel in Toronto (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/young-adults-looking-for-hot-spot-hotel-in-toronto-633900/)

DebNY Jul 25th, 2006 01:11 PM

Young adults looking for hot spot hotel in Toronto

My 21 year old son and his friends will be visiting Toronto in August. They would like to stay within walking distance of clubs, theaters, art galleries, etc. I am unfamiliar with the city and don't know what key words to search by. Any info on Toronto and/or hotel suggestions are appreciated. We are looking for a moderately priced hotel in the $100- $130 range per night if possible. Thanks in advance.

SeasonJoy Jul 25th, 2006 08:29 PM

I don't know anything about this (how wild it might be), but thought I would refer you to it:

http://www.globalbackpackers.com

You might type in "Queen's Quay". It is a tourist spot on the Lake walking distance to most things.

Kate_W Jul 26th, 2006 12:07 AM

Other than a hostel, I think it probably will be difficult to find a "cool" hotel in the price range you mentioned. However, there are some moderately priced hotels in the areas they'd like to visit.

If they wanted to splurge on a cool hotel, they could investigate the "crash pads" at the Drake Hotel, which has been converted into a stylish bar and restaurant, and also has some small rooms starting at Cdn $179.

I'm not a fan of Queen's Quay as a location, because it is separated from the rest of the city by the Gardiner Expressway. You have to walk through underpasses if you want to walk to other parts of the city (although there is also public transit available).

The Holiday Inn on King West (close to Spadina) would be quite convenient to clubs, theatres and downtown restaurants.

The Holiday Inn (formerly Quality Inn) on Bloor Street West is also a good choice because it's in the heart of the university district and close to museums, galleries, cafes and bars. It's also very close to both branches of the subway line, so it's easy to get around, about a 15 minute walk from College Street (Little Italy - a lively bar/restaurant district) and a 25 minute walk from downtown clubs (but only a 5 minute ride on the subway). It's also less expensive than some other hotels, so might fit the price range you mentioned.

There are a lot of moderate-budget hotels east of Yonge Street (e.g. Days Inn on Carlton) and on Gerrard. Not my favourite part of town; it's a bit run down and seedy (although not dangerous). There is some prostitution and some drug dealing. The Marriott Courtyard on Yonge and the Delta Chelsea, which are very nearby, however, are ok (but I'm not sure the Marriott Courtyard is a good value).

There is a Sheraton on Lakeshore that I would stay away from. Good price, but it's just off/under the freeway and not convenient unless someone has a car (which they won't need in Toronto).

It would also be worth investigating Priceline for hotels. I don't know the exact parameters for the bidding zones, but if they bid for hotels in downtown Toronto they wouldn't go wrong.

BAK Jul 26th, 2006 03:07 AM

It's always fun to learn things.

For instance, the Sheraton Four Points on the Lakeshore, at Windemere, is right beside the Queen Street streetcar, which takes passengers into the heart of the entertainment district, past lots of other interesting things for young adults to see and do.

The price is on the low side; hard to combine cool with $125.

Not particularly-cool, but convenient: The Strathcona on York Street, a few minutes walk from clubs, galleries, etc. Hotel Victoria, on Yonge Street, south of King.

Just over the price, if you get a special deal, is One King West, a combo hotel and condominium that's spectacular.

The earlier suggestion of the Holiday Inn on Bloor Street near St. George is a good one.

And the best place, but probably over budget, from a location perspective, would be the Holiday Inn on King.

The hostel listed above gets good marks -- or did last summer -- from people I've talked with who stayed there. As does a hostel on Widmer, a couple of blocks away and right in the middle of the entertainment district, but forget the hostel on Church Stret.

TobieT Jul 26th, 2006 05:05 AM

The Travel Lodge Downtown West might also fit the bill for them at about $140 CAD. Most of the hotels in their price range aren't going to be "cool" but as long as they're close to clubs etc. that shouldn't matter to them. I too would stay away from Lakeshore hotels because of the distance. Being near the U of Toronto during the summer doesn't really have any advantages either.

http://www.travelodgetorontodowntown.com/index.html

The Drake and Gladstone are two places to hang out but might be a little too sophisticated for their tastes...all depends on them. They likely will find their own favourite spots.

DebNY Aug 9th, 2006 08:55 AM

Thanks to all for your advice. I have booked the Holiday Inn on King street.