Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you stay in Banff or at Lake Louise?

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 08:12 AM
stephanie

We will be flying into Calgary and will have 2-3 nights in the area. If you had never been to the Canadian Rockies and only had 2 or 3 nights would you stay in Banff or at Lake Louise to get the best of the beauty of the area? We would mostly like to drive around and see the most beautiful sights, maybe hike a little and just relax in a really nice hotel. We're thinking of the 2nd weekend of October. Thanks for any thoughts/advice you may have on my question. <BR> <BR>Stephanie

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 11:54 AM
N. Flores

Stay in Banff at the Banff Springs Resort. It's a great place to start from, and the little town of Banff gives you restaurants and shops outside of those (about 40) which are in the hotel. The sister hotel at Lake Louise is the Chateau Lake Louise, but there isn't anything else at LL. We stayed at the Banff springs, drove one afternoon to Lake Louise and Moraine Lake, then spent another day driving up to the Athbascan glacier--some of our fellow conventioneers made it all the way up to Jasper and back in a very long day. I adored Banff, the Banff Springs Hotel, and all the time we spent walking, driving, riding (a hotel program), and some of our members thought the golf course at the Banff Springs was fabulous. The hotel also has a luxury spa and Sunday brunch is not to be missed. Have a great time.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 12:24 PM
stephanie

N. Flores, thanks so much for your response. That's the kind of information I was looking for. I was indeed thinking about the Banff Springs hotel. We've stayed at other Canadian Pacific hotels in Quebec providence and absolutely loved them! Good recommendations. Thanks! Stephanie

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 01:47 PM
lisa

I would definitely stay in Banff. You can go to Lake Louise as a daytrip from there, but it is nice to be in Banff in the evenings because there is a good selection of restaurants and things to do. Lake Louise isn't really a town at all. There is lovely scenery there but after dark, there's nothing to do.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Diane Moll

Having just returned from Banff/Lake Louise last Thursday, my preference is Lake Louise. It is far less crowded than Banff but as other posts imply, not as many places to stay. I guess if I had endless funds, I would choose Banff as well and stay at the luxurous Banff Springs Hotel, but I don't. As it was, we stayed at the Paradise Lodge & Bungalows near Lake Louise Chalet and still managed to spend approx. $140 per night (US) for a cabin.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Rocky

It all depends what you want. My preference would be Banff for the same reason as the others stated. There is no town at Lake Louise. I would do day trips to Lake Louise and other points of interest with Banff as my base.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 07:27 AM
Bev

If you have to choose...make it Banff! The most incredible thing about Lake Louise is the color of the lake. It's a gem-like blue due to the sulfites in the melting glacier that feeds into the lake. You should at least drive up and take a canoe trip around the lake or sit in the rockers by the water. Explore the Banff Springs Hotel...the spa is a religous experience! $60 for an hour massage and around $50 for a body scrub. This will also get you access to their Hungarian mineral pool with 3 cascading waterfalls. (one waterfall is cold, another is warm and a third is hot.) The candadians spend time under each fall, going from cold to warm to hot because it stimulates the circulatory system...so they say. Skip touring the little town with the usual shops and spend an afternoon at their spa...you will dream about it! <BR>Feel free to email me if you want more details...definitely one of my favorite places in the world! [email protected]

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 03:53 AM
Mary Sue

We stayed in Lake Louise at the Post Hotel and were so glad we did! We drove through Banff but really didn't spend much time there. It was very crowded. We wanted to relax and enjoy the scenery, and Lake Louise was a perfect place to do that. No, it does not have a huge selection of restaurants or shops, but for a beautiful, peaceful place it can't be beat. And we were there 3 nights and had great meals at different places each night. The Post Hotel was extraordinary, and we had a little cabin by a creek. It was wonderful to sit outside and just listen to the creek and look at the mountains. And our cabin had a fireplace, so we spent our evenings curled up beside it. That is how we wanted to spend our vacation, though. If you want more excitement, then Banff might be for you.

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 06:23 PM
Kathy

Where you stay depends on what you want to do. I think for 2-3 days, I would choose Banff. My husband and I stayed two nights there several years ago in one of the turret suites in the Banff Springs hotel. For a short visit, it was the best place to be with lots to see and plenty of nearby places to do a bit of hiking if you choose. For a longer stay I would choose Lake Louise. Because we loved the area so much we took our four children there a couple years ago. We stayed in a condo in Banff and wished we had been at Lake Louise. Most of the things we wanted to do with the children (fishing, riding, rafting, etc.) were more centered in the Lake Louise area. We loved the peace and quiet. It really depends on how long you are there and the kinds of activities you are interested in.

Old Oct 16th, 2000, 07:16 AM
BC.

My wife and I just returned from 3 nights in Banff. I've been there a few times before so we knew Banff was the place to stay. I agree with the others, it all depends on what you want but for sure, Lake Louise is so quiet you might wonder what to do whereas in Banff you won't have that problem. If you think Banff Springs is a little pricey you should consider Brewster's Mountain Lodge right in the heart of Banff. It is a great small hotel but don't eat breakfast there...$13 each and it really wasn't that good. Make sure you check out Johnson Canyon for a good 2 hour trail walk - it's gorgeous.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 08:31 AM
rose

We visited Banff for the first time 9/15/00. It was one of the best vacations we have ever had. I would definetly choose to stay in Banff at any of the wonderful hotels or condo style lodges. We stayed at Tunnel Mtn Lodge and thought it was great. Conviently located and a very nice place. We took the scenic highway up to visit Lake Louise on a Saturday morning and we were stunned by the beauty but terribly disappointed by the commercialazation and horrible crowds of tourists. Once we were on the hiking trail, the crowds thinned out but we were never far from many hikers. Still, the amazing beauty of the area is a "must see" and we found Banff to be a wonderful vacation destination.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 08:32 AM
Jane

My husband, son & I have been to the Canadian Rockies twice and wouldn't dream of staying in Banff. Talk about touristy ticky tacky! Why in the world would one go to the Canadian Rockies looking for lots of shops and night life! We stay in the Lake Louise area (Paradise Lodge & Bungalows) and it is very central for good views and hiking. If you really want a treat, head for Lake O'Hara and stay at the very expensive lodge there. Gorgeous. Actually Emerald lake Lodge is your best bet. Beautiful Lodge (outdoor jakuzi) beautiful lake - a nice way to see the Rockies.

Old Oct 25th, 2000, 12:58 PM
vjolsen

I live in Calgary (only an hour from Banff) and visit both places a few times a year. If I were to choose, I would stay in Banff and drive to Lake Louise for a day. <BR> <BR>It's true that Banff is really crowded, but it's not quite as bad in the fall. If you're looking for relaxation, don't stay on the main street. There are lots of nice hotels there, but it's noisy and touristy. <BR> <BR>The Banff Springs is incredible looking, but the rooms are small for what you pay. My favorit place to stay is called Douglas Fir Resort. It's away from the townsite, but not too far you can't enjoy activities there. The resort is secluded and quiet plus they have condos that are equipped with full kitchens - so you can cut down on eating out, which is very expensive in Banff. It's also expensive, but worth it I think. They also have a pool, waterslides, and tennis courts. <BR> <BR>