Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you help me with my summer trip to Canada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:51 PM
christy

Hi! I am new to this forum. Would someone please offer some suggestions for a trip this summer to Whistler, Banff and the area. I have never been to this area and would love to go to especially small towns with beautiful mountains and little shops. I'm interested in light hiking. Flying out of Houston, Texas. What's the best city to fly into??? Thanks!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:08 PM
Bob Brown

Best city to fly into: Calgary.<BR>Second best: probably Edmonton<BR><BR>The Whistler ski area near Vancouver is a long day's drive from Banff. However, do you by chance have reference to the mountain top called The Whistler that is near Jasper?<BR>Hiking abounds.<BR>Get a copy of The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson. I think it is the best hiking guide in English, even better than the classics by Kev Reynolds on Switzerland.<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:17 PM
Robyn

If you're talking about Whistler, as in, the large ski resort in British Columbia, then Vancouver would be the ideal airport to fly into. I know they have many direct flights in and out of Texas. <BR><BR>Most people do the Vancouver/Whistler and Banff/Jasper round trip. Vancouver and Whistler are both on the west coast and are about an hour and a half drive apart. Banff and Jasper are located in the Rockies on the Alberta/BC border - a good 10 hour drive away from the coast. It makes a great trip, especially if you make your way through the Kootenays and the Okanagan part in BC. Lots of small mountain towns.<BR>Banff is quite touristy, and Whistler is an elite mountain city... so don't expect a authentic Canadian mountain town. Jasper is smaller and is more laid back than both Banff and Jasper, but is still on the tourist circuit. Places like Fernie, Nelson and Kimberley, in BC are small mountain towns, however, Kelowna and Penticton might also be of interest to you in the summer. (They're located midway between the Rockies (Banff/Jasper) and Vancouver/Whistler). Lots of great wineries, fruit orchards, roadside fruit stands and shops to explore in the Okanagan.<BR><BR>Saying all that, if you're only going to visit Jasper and Banff, then flying into Calgary would make the most sense, just like Bob said.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:06 AM
christy

This helps. I didn't realize there was a difference in the mountain top &amp; ski area. Sorry for my ignorance. I was going by the different posts on this site. I will look into purchasing the book you recommended Bob. Robyn, I appreciate the suggestion of the small towns. I prefer staying in the small towns. I want to spend a couple of days in the &quot;touristy&quot; areas also. I love the idea of fruit stands!! Mostly, I want to stay at few different locations - at lodging with beautiful views and places relatively close by to hike around and see lots of beautiful stuff! Did I mention not real expensive lodging! Christy

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:41 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:05 PM
mjw

If you are looking for 'not so expensive' - you may want to avoid Vacouver and Whistler all together! However, both are pretty phenomenal in terms of natural beauty! Remember your dollar goes a tad farther than the Cdn one!(about 1.5 or1.6 exchange rate) <BR>I would suggest you pick one area or the other. The province is too big to do it all at once. On a map it may look doable...but most of the interior is rocky mountains...which means very winding roads!<BR>I agree with the response above about the interior of BC... the interior of BC is not unlike...Arizona - very dry and hot...bet you didn't know that! There are some great winery's in the Okanogan Valley (Penticton and south)<BR>Banff area is stellar mostly because of the majestic scenery... pretty touristy though... I do think that in the summer in the whole area you can find some decent deals on B&amp;B's and small lodges. Check out Yoho National Park; (where Lake Louise is) and Kananaski's (about 40 minutes from Calgary)- there are some excellent hiking; rafting and other outdoorsy stuff! My vote would be to go to Calgary and then travel west... I think its cheaper...period. Also - if you go in July - you might catch the Calgary Stampede (10 day rodeo - which is unlike anything you've seen! except maybe mardi gras!)<BR>All I have to say is - go!! You will love it no matter which end you start with!!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:29 PM
John

Check out www.viarail.com and www.bcferries.com You can take the train from Jasper to Prince Rupert. Then the ferry to Vancouver Island and eventually Vancouver. From Vancouver you can get a cheap 1 way fare back to Edmonton or Calgary. Lots of little towns to stop off and visit if you like and very beautiful every inch of the way.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Bob Brown

Lake Louise is beautiful. Yoho has many wonders to see. There is a book by Don Beers called the Wonders of Yoho. It is a little dated, but the photography is special.<BR><BR>Lake Louise is in Banff National Park. You have to cross over the Great Divide to be in Yoho. <BR><BR>While in that area, don't forget Kootney NP. There are four contiguous parks: Banff, Jasper, Kootney, and Yoho.<BR>And Glacier NP is a few miles west of Golden, British Columbia, on the Trans Canada highway. It is a beautiful park, with some steep trails.<BR>Unfortunately, it is often cloud bound.<BR>If the day is clear, it is gorgeous.<BR>Even if fog bound, the visitor center at Rogers Pass is worth the visit.<BR>There is a good film on Snow Wars which shows how the artillery is used to blast down avalanches under controlled conditions, well semi controlled in that any avalanche is dangerous.<BR><BR>And from Jasper,Mt. Robson is worth a look see. The mountain is the highest one in the Canadian Rockies. (Not the highest in all of Canada; the highest Canadian peaks are farther north near the Alaskan border.)<BR><BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think this area is the most beautiful area in Canada? I'm looking for mountains &amp; small friendly towns...some with cute little gift shops. Lots of light hiking nearby. I also want to sit in a chair, drinking a glass of wine and enjoy the beautiful scenery from my room. Have any suggestions???
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've lived in 4 provinces in Canada and my heart belongs in BC. It is without a doubt the most beautiful province and has the most to offer with the ocean and mountains being so close. I have to aggree with Bob that Yoho national park is a must see if you're planning on arriving in Calgary and making your way to Vancouver. If you are into the outdoors thing, there are a ton of beautiful camp sites on the drive from Calgary to Golden and Revelstoke. I also remember ccamping a few times on the Kicking Horse River (I was pretty young but the scenery was magnificent!).<BR><BR>If you do plan on going to the Calgary Stampede make sure to book a hotel right now, because they fill up very quickly. And make sure to get tickets to the chuckwagon races and the Grand Stand Show....great fireworks, buy these in advance as well.<BR><BR>The interior/okanagon also has plenty to offer in the way of lake activities. There's plenty of camp grounds and hotels in Kelowna/the Shuswap Lakes/Penticton/Vernon and of course as was mentioned before the winerys...I've never been on a tour but I hear they're great.<BR><BR>Vancouver will be a bit pricier and especially Whistler so make sure you check ahead to see if the activies there would be worth you spending the money to stay (but you are spending US dollars, so that makes a huge difference). Most of what you can do in Whistler can be done in the rockies (Banff), unless you like to shop!<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR>