Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would appreciate advice on golf/sightseeing trip to Cape Breton Is. and PEI

Apr 18th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I have nine days (including travel to and from) for a golf and sightseeing trip this summer and would like to know how best to use the time.

Since we are somewhat flexible with our dates, when is the ideal time to have the best chance for good weather?

We would like to golf at Highland Links, and have been told that the best place to stay is at the Keltic Lodge. Some posters have said to stay in the main lodge rather than the inn. The inn is air conditioned, and the lodge is not, however. Is a/c not important during the summer, or do the nights cool down enough that it isn't necessary?

The Cabot Trail is obviously a must. Where does it begin and end, and, not being hikers, how much time do we need to experience it and still have enough time to spend in PEI for more golf and sightseeing? Is there much to see in PEI, or should we use most of our sightseeing time in and around Halifax and Cape Breton Island?

Can anyone suggest 2 or 3 of the most beautiful golf courses in PEI? We are not great golfers (to say the least), so the rating is not as important to us as the views. Brudenell River, Crowbush Cove and Dundareve have been recommeded so far.

If anyone can suggest a time line for this trip, allowing for 3 to 4 days of golf, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Elaine

Apr 19th, 2003, 03:12 PM

I don't have any golf info, but Nova Scotia has a terrific guide you can see and order at:
http://www.destination-ns.com/default.asp

My main thought is that 9 days isn't enough time to see both NS and PEI, especially if allowing time for golf. We really felt rushed with a week to see NS.

Apr 20th, 2003, 03:57 AM

The Links is a great golf course. Also Bell Bay in Baddeck (great place to spend a day). You must golf Glen Arbour just outside of Halifax - one of the best courses!

The Cabot Trail can be enjoyed just by driving your car. I would suggest if you want to golf for 3 or 4 days, you should choose one province, especially when doing Nova Scotia. Not sure where your entry point will be and from where you are departing? It would help.

Apr 20th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks elberko and Tanya. I have so many guides and travel brochures that I am overwhelmed with information, and don't know how to choose. I was hoping for specifics from people who have experienced this type of trip.

We will fly from Toronto to Halifax, and fly home from Charlottetown.

I thought we might stay for 2-3 nights in Halifax,(where?) possibly do a bus tour of Halifax the first day, then visit Lunenberg, Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove and Chester the next day. Lewisberg seems to be an interesting place to visit too.

Of course the drive along the Cabot Trail is a must, and we were planning to golf at Highland Links. I have heard that Bell Bay is lovely, and Tanya has confirmed this. I have not heard about Glen Arbour. If I have only time for 1, or at most 2 rounds of golf in Cape Breton, which are the most beautiful? (We are not great golfers, so scenery is the criterion)

Does anyone have any recommendations other than the Keltic Lodge for Cape Breton? We like accommodations with a minimum 4 star rating, and would like air-conditioned rooms.

Should we stay over in Baddeck before going on to P.E.I.? If so, where?

The Links at Crowbush, and Dundarave seem to be top choices for golf in P.E.I. Any different suggestions?

I suppose this is ambitious for 9 days, but we may not get back there again, and would like to cover as much as possible.

Thanks again to anyone who posts a reply.
Apr 21st, 2003, 12:43 PM

The Inverary Resort in Baddeck is quite convenient for the Cabot Trail. Enjoy your trip.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:31 AM

If it is scenery you are looking for, golf the Links. It is absolutely breathtaking as you enter Ingonish and then spy the Keltic. The Links is part of the Lodge grounds and is in the National Park. If you don't want to stay at Keltic, my friends have recommended Castle Rock Inn in Ingonish Ferry. After driving from Halifax I would probably head for this destination for the first night. Spend a day golfing, and then continue to do the Trail in a counter clockwise direction.

As for Halifax, lots of choices. Haliburton House Inn in downtown Halifax is lovely if you are looking for something a little more upscale and small. Cambridge Suites in downtown Halifax are a good choice and in the middle of everything. Short walk to Historic Properties and Spring Garden Road.

May 23rd, 2003, 09:33 AM

You could try but I really don't think you could do Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove and Chester all in one day - unless you planned mainly on driving through.

To stay in Halifax, try Cambridge Suites or Haliburton House in.
May 23rd, 2003, 09:34 AM

...one more thing. If you're not avid hikers, I would simply take a few hours and drive around the Cabot Trail. There are areas you can pull over for pictures. You don't physically have to walk it to enjoy it.