Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wine,wine and sunshine. Osoyoos trip report.

Jul 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I have recently moved to Interior of B.C. So we decided to take a two day road trip stopping at the many wineries along the way to Osoyoos.

We booked a one bedroom suite at the newly opened Walnut Beach Resort in Osoyoos. The resort is situated on the lake with its own private beach. We stayed on the top floor with partial views of the lake and mountains. The room is very clean and well appointed.The one funny thing about our suite was that the hot and cold were switched. Hot water in the toilet is quite annoying to say the least. Like a butt steam...lol. They were aware of the plumbers mistake at the front desk.

Our first stop was Summerland where we visited three wineries. Dirty Laundry vineyard, Thornhaven Estate and Sonoran Estate Winery. All three are beautifully situated on the slopes of the mountains with views of Lake Okanagan. We picked up some great wine at all three. There are many more wineries in the area but we'll go back another time.

Next stop was Skaha Lake where we picked up a bottle of Pinot Blanc at Blasted Church Vineyards. I loved being greeted by the Vineyards chocolate lab who had just taking a dip in the pool. Another beautiful setting over looking the lake.

The drive along the Okanagan Valley is quite visually breathtaking with huge rock cliffs to desert and every so often the beauty of Orchards and Vineyards dot the hill sides. We stopped at the popular Jackson Triggs where we picked up three more bottles for the cellar. We bought two bottles of the Grand Reserve Merlot. One bottle of Viognier(one of my favs).

Our first day in Osoyoos was spent getting groceries for the condo and chilling with a glass of wine on the balcony over looking the lake.

Our second day we set out to the Black Sage Road. Home to 12 Vineyards. We visited six of them. First stop Le Vieux Pin newly opened a few years ago. This Vineyard and tasting room looks like something out of France. Their wine is very bold, too bold for my taste but we picked up one expensive bottle of Pinot Noir named Belle.

Our favourite visit was to Oliver Twist Estate Winery. If you are in the are do not miss this one. The owners Bruce and Denice are wonderful and full of knowledge. They also make my new favourite white named Kerner.

We also visited Desert Hills, Stoneboat, Burrowing Owl and Church State.

We ate a late lunch at the Wildfire Grill. I did not find their menu very diverse and I did not enjoy the chicken wrap I ordered. Not sure if the chicken was really chicken. My husband ordered the shrimp penne which was tasty but full of enough oil to cook my meals for a week or two.

Another attraction in Osoyoos is Spotted Lake. Known for it's healing mud. But it's on native land and not open to the public. There is a view point to take pictures. We also visited the miniature railroad. I appreciate the time and effort he put into it but it's not my thing.

Lastly we visited the NK'MIP Winery and Desert Cultural Centre. The only owned and operated native winery in North America. This place is first class. They have done a really wonderful job with the land there. You can even buy villas on site with beautiful views. It was my favourite part of the trip. A must see!

We came home with another 22 bottles for our cellar and we really enjoyed our short road trip down the Okanangan Valley.

Jul 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Great report! We will be staying a week in Kelowna in Sept. How far to drive Osoyoos and (I hate this saying!)...but is it worth the trip considering all the wineries right around Kelowna??
Jul 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi Canuckgal,

We live in Kelowna and it is definitely worth the drive to Osoyoos. It's not far at all. If you were to just drive with out stops it would be a short hour and half. But with all the beautiful wineries along the way it will take longer but well worth it.

Kelowna offers many first class wineries but it would be a mistake not to visit the wineries from Summerland down to Osoyoos. You could easily do this as a day trip. Another great area is the Namarata bench at Penticton. There are plenty of wineries to keep you busy in this area as well. The area is beautiful!

A really great book to pick up at Chapters is called Okanagan Wine Tour Guide written by John Schreiner.

It is beautiful here in September. It's still very warm. Perfect time to visit.

If you have any other questions about the area I'd be happy to help you.

Jul 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Thanks traveljunkie...I am really looking forward to visiting the interior of BC-heard so many good things about the area. We're staying at the Manteo Resort-heard anything about it?
Re. the weather-do you think capris and sandals will still be ok in mid Sept? Does it get quite cool at night - ie. jacket weather?
Also any restaurant recommendations? We don't really want too upscale but reasonably priced places with decent food? And finally, what about grocery stores near Manteo - we have a kitchen so want to get some breakfast and picnic stuff.
Thanks again..great to have you as a resource!
Jul 27th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

The weather will be warm enough for shorts, capris and dresses but it does get chilly at night. Even in the summer the night temps drop drastically. That's why we grow such great wine. ;-) It can be 40 during the day but 12 at night.

The Manteo is a nice resort with a great restaurant called the Wild Apple. Across the street is the newly opened Cabana(our new fav restaurant) that offers a variety of choices on their menu. The Eldorado is next door to the Manteo with another popular restaurant with a patio on the lake front.

On Lakeshore(heading south) is the new Seven Six Four and the very popular Minstrel. You'll find lots of the regular restaurants such as Montanas, Cactus Club, Joey's Whit Spot, etc on Highway 97.

Before you reach the Manteo on Lakeshore there are numerous grocers such as Save On, Cooper's and smaller grocers. Starbucks and other great coffee places are there too.

Another great idea for a special dinner is to book a dinner on the Fintry Queen. I haven't done this yet but I've heard great things about it. They tour around the lake while you enjoy your dinner. If you google Fintry Queen Kelowna you'll find the website for booking if interested.

Hope that helps you. Kelowna is very easy to get around and September is a great time to visit. Enjoy!!