Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > Wine Tour - Where to stay, how long to plan for
Notices

Wine Tour - Where to stay, how long to plan for

Jun 12th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Wine Tour - Where to stay, how long to plan for

My husband and I are planning our trip to BC this October.

We fly into Vancouver on a Sunday night (6th of October) and then plan on staying at the airport. Pick up our car that next morning and then drive on to the wine country of Okanagan Valley, etc. for 3 nights at least.

Where to stay in this beautiful area? If we can't find a place in Pentc. is it okay to stay at one of the small wineries with accommodations in places like Osoyoos or Summerland?

What about the area east of Skaha Lake?

Our next plan was to turn car in and fly back from Kewlowna to Victoria rather than driving back/via Vancouver. Is this smart/dumb? Pick up a new rental and then do 2 nights in Victoria and then head up to Tofino (which we've been to before) or Campbell River. Which one?

We also want to go to one or two of the Gulf Islands but maybe you would recommend we concentrate elsewhere???

We have a total of 12 nights in BC.

Thanks!
Jun 16th, 2013, 07:13 PM

Sorry I missed this earlier.

To drive from the southern end (Osoyoos) to Kelowna(biggest city midway) is about an hour. Most wineries are concentrated between those two. If you want white wines you'll venture farther north. This is not to say that you cannot fine excellent white wines in the southern region; we love reds and that region is best for them.

Anyway. Staying in the south, we have found Spirit Ridge at Nk'Mip winery our absolute best. Watermark Beach Resort is another great play to stay in Osoyoos. Penticton and Oliver have some offerings as well; check the Best Western.

The Okanagan Wine Festival is October 14-14, I think - so you will be coming in at prime time. Look for accommodations now.
Jun 16th, 2013, 08:21 PM

Naramata is where all the cool kids hang if that matters.

Search this Thread