Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   why go to peggy's cove - nova scotia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/why-go-to-peggys-cove-nova-scotia-469847/)

ltt Aug 25th, 2004 08:22 AM

why go to peggy's cove - nova scotia?

hello. next summer i will be travelling the maritimes for about 4-5 weeks so i anticipate seeing many, many beautiful coastal area. my question is, what is so special about peggy's cove? i am not one to take a tour bus to such a place so that's out of the question. i am wondering if i should bother driving there for a morning and deal with all the crowds. is it extra special from other sites? thanks.

Patrick Aug 25th, 2004 08:25 AM

We did a lot of driving and stopping in Nova Scotia, but I will say Peggy Cove remains one of the prettiest spots of all in my memory. I'm not sure why -- just the combination of the rocky shore and the lighthouse and the handful of little buildings I guess.

elberko Aug 25th, 2004 10:12 AM

It's one of those places where everything just comes together. Like other small, popular places, if you go early or late in the day you'll enjoy it without the tour-bus people.

~Liz

rkkwan Aug 25th, 2004 10:20 AM

The reason I went there is Swissair 111. Otherwise, it's just another pretty seaside town to me.

Mac123 Aug 26th, 2004 11:25 PM

I did a really interesting bus trip with an eco-company based in Halifax when I visited a couple of years ago. Got to learn lots of stuff I would not have heard on a general tour bus, plus there were only about 6 of us plus the driver. I think Peggy's Cove is beautiful and well worth the trip, crowds or no crowds. It's a touristy place as are most of the attractions in the Maritimes. I don't think there are too many places to visit that will be crowd free unless you travel in winter-time. Don't let the crowds put you off, most of them are travelling on the big tour buses and usually only get 20 minutes to look, shop and take photos.

Have a wonderful time.

Mac123

PetHead36 Aug 28th, 2004 12:00 PM

I don't feel Peggy's Cove is anymore busy than other seaside towns such as Kennebunkport. When I was there in mid July there was more than enough parking, and enough space to walk around without felling crowded. I thought the town was quaint and the rough ocean was very beautiful.

Also the landscape seems so alien; rock and lichen and giant (and I do mean giant) boudlers that seam to have been thrown there. On the road to Peggy's Cove, there are areas where you can park and walk in to the ocean through the facinating landscape. the trail I was on took me twenty minutes at the most to walk it. I'm not one for hiking but found it wonderful.

There is also The Swiss Air 111 memorial is nice to see.

Enjoy your Trip.

Best Wishes
-Matt

RufusTFirefly Aug 29th, 2004 05:18 AM

Yes, it is very different. The crowds aren't bad if you stay away from the restaurant/tourist shop. In fact, it's quite easy to walk just a bit and be out of sight of any crowds.

NorthwestMale Sep 7th, 2004 06:28 PM

I just wanted to testify on behalf of Peggy's Cove.

I went there on or about April 1 when the weather is still quite wet and chilly.

Even though it was raining steadily with winds blowing I was glad that I'd driven from Halifax just to see the place.

I stopped at the restaurant near the lighthouse and had lunch while looking out at the cloudy, misty ocean. While there I pondered the tank full of live lobsters and then visited the gift shop where I purchased quite a few souvenirs.

In the summer I suspect that the scenery and shoreline surrounding the little fishing village can be stunning!

In Nova Scotia it never hurts to schedule a "blank" day on your itinerary for the FOG that is bound to be as thick as pea soup.

Hope this helps somebody.

wagonwheel Sep 8th, 2004 08:21 AM

Peggy's cove is a study in contrasts. On one day you can sit on the rocks and feel the heat warm you while the water laps gently at the edge of the rocks. On another day it looks like something out of the Perfect Storm. The waves can knock down the hardiest of us. Unfortunately we've had incidents where we lose a tousit to the waves. So look, but don't get too close. A rogue wave can cath you unaware and the rocks are very slippery. That being said, be careful and enjoy it's natural beauty !

stringer Sep 9th, 2004 11:31 AM

Peggy's Cove is a prototypical scene of maritime beauty. Yes it's "touristy," and while I prefer more out of the way spots, this one is different and worth it. It's one place, amaong many in the maritimes, where one thinks back on fondly when far away and out of time. I've been twice, last summer and this summer. Last summer was late in the day and lots of surreal fog. This summer was mid-afternoon and blue sky. My 10-year-old speaks of Peggy's Cove as one of the highlights of our vacation because of the rocks. We spent a couple of hours roaming the rocks near water's edge(the surf was fairly calm) and exploring the small tidal pools and kelp for the oceans' tiny creatures. He had a blast and I have lifelong memories, not to mention some very awsome still photos of the lighthosue taken through the crevasse of the rocks.

Flyboy Sep 9th, 2004 08:20 PM

Several years ago when I visited, I felt it was a bit overrated. Upon reflection, I'm not so sure. Here are my notes and a couple of pics (just click on them and they will enlarge on your screen):

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...Peggy%27s+Cove

ltt Sep 10th, 2004 09:03 AM

thanks to everyone.
you've convinced me to spend some time there.

charliebrown Nov 11th, 2004 07:25 AM

We visited Peggy's cove on its Anniversay date 6 years to the date. It was a beautiful date and very peaceful memorial site. It is an area where many rocks lay and huge bolders on the shore line. There was ample parking and it wasn't the least crowded on Sept 3/04. Other areas around were beautiful, Lunenberg,Mahone Bay and Chester. Hopefully the weather is with you to remember the swiss air memorial site.

kdwyer Nov 20th, 2004 01:27 PM

I felt the same way before I visited, but Peggy's Cove truly is a nice place. It's really the boulders that make it so different, but very lovely.

I am from Newfounland so I thought - another lighthouse? - but it is worth a visit.

IMHO anyway.

KD