Whistler Village Resort - Status of Renovations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the renos are far from complete. Has anyone viewed this property lately? Our family is thinking of staying there this Christmas holiday.

Cheers,
Linda
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

WhistlerAl - help!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:39 AM

Hi linda,
Are you talking about a particular property,or the village reno's in general? The village reno's are still underway, but I think they are trying to get them mostly completed by Christmas. The only area really affected is the main village square and up to the old Delta. Village North and the upper village are unaffected by the construction noise. I am on Maui for 5 weeks , so I am a little out of the loop, but when I return on the 9th, december, I will check out the scene, and report back to you. Cheers, Al
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, Al.

I'm referring to the (previously) Delta property "Whistler Village Inn and Suites", kitty-corner to the Mountainside Lodge.

Apparently, it's now an independent but in spring it will become a Hilton property (if I remember correctly).

We've been told the property is undergoing a lot of renos but that our room isn't in the area currently under renovation.

It was inexpensive for Whistler over New Year's Eve (which probably tells me what I want to know), so I booked it.

If you have time when you return from Hawaii to give it a peak, that would be terrific.

Wishing I was in Maui (although today was clear and mild!)

Linda
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:14 AM

Hi Linda, I had also booked the Whistler Village Resort earlier this year for Christmas week. A few months later I was checking the Delta website for something and noticed that property was no longer listed. Contacted Delta and was told the property was de-branded and the public was not notified until the sale was complete, although negotiations were in progress well before my reservation was made.

They offered to give me a special discounted rate at the Village Suites property which turned out to be their basic rack rate. I didn't think this was handled very well by Delta and was fortunate to find another room at the Pan Pacific within my price range.

Good luck with the new WVR, it looked fine when I booked it and should be even better when the renovations are complete. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks curious, I'll post about the property in the New Year.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 10:09 AM

Hi Linda,
We're back from Maui, but I haven't been over to the Delta/Holton yet. It is still completely wrapped in Plastic and they will be working on it until next summer. They apparently have half of it finished, and they are booking people into that while they work on the other half. I don't know if there will be a problem with construction noise or not. Sorry I'm not more help. if I get a chance this weekend , I will stroll over and see what is up. Cheers, Al
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, Al, but we cancelled our plans. A major misunderstanding re the cost, and the hotel offered us the option to cancel within seconds (and we were well within the 45 day cancellation period).

I don't think a one bedroom unit in that property warrants a $799 per night charge, and that is definitely outside of our budget anyway.

Cheers,
L

P.S. How was the weather in Maui?

Old Dec 19th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Hi Linda,
$799 a night???? not a chance...There are much better deals and properties available. We had 27 days of perfect weather, with 28 to 30 every day, and not a breath of wind. It rained 2 or 3 times for a few minutes and that was it. It couldn't have been better. The last 3 days on Maui were cloudy and windy, and the 6 days on kauai were very windy, and a few showers, but that wasn't so bad either.
We would like to see Kauai again without the wind, so we'll have to plan another trip. Cheers, Al