Whistler/Vancouver then where?Lake Louise? In December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can we go after spending a week in Whistler and Vancouver this December? We arrive in Vancouver on 17 Dec. We also must depart from Vancouver. Where do you recommend for our 3 kids (17,11 and 10) to see? They are not keen skiers so prefer non skiing activities. Is Lake Louise nice in December? where can se spend Christmas? Seems all train service stops by october so there is no possibility of a train journey.
Please advise.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Lake Louise is beautiful in the winter as is Jasper and Banff. The Fairmont hotel chain usually have special Christmas packages and they always include things for the kids to do. The activities I listed below are from the Fairmont Jasper Lodge list of winter activities. I'm sure the Lake Louise hotel would have similar activities. You could maybe send the hotel an email and ask them what they do for Christmas.
Children's Programs during special events
Dogsledding
Games Room
Ice Skating (weather dependent)
Interpretive Walking Programs
Maligne Canyon Ice Walk (weather dependent)
Snowmobiling Tours
Snowshoeing
Swimming Pool
Wagon Rides / Sleigh Rides
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM

When are you departing from Vancouver?

Lake Louise is not exactly close to Vancouver! Driving over the mountain passes is not easy in winter and would take around 12 hours, very possibly longer, with lots of snow and ice likely on the roads. So if you only have a couple of days it's not a good idea (unless you fly to Calgary and then drive the 2 hours or so to Lake Louise from there).

However, Banff and Lake Louise are gorgeous (but usually very cold) around Christmas time. I second the Farimont properties as geat places to stay.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM

The Rocky Moutaineer train service is seasonal, but VIA Rail is not.... it runs all year. www.viarail.ca However, it does not run to Lake Louise, Banff or Calgary, but instead runs on the CN line further north, to Jasper then Edmonton. The train is called "The Canadian".

Lake Louise is a very tiny village, with not much to do other than ski... downhill, cross-country. Or snowshoe, skate etc. If your kids are not interested in outdoor winter sports, it's probably not a good spot for your family.

Christmas and New Year's is one of the busiest times of the winter season in the ski resorts, so be sure to book well ahead, no matter where you go.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 05:16 AM
BAK

If you really want to go to the Rockies, go to Banff instead of Lake Louise. Much more to do, because there is a real town. And it's cose to Lake Louise for a day trip.

And, as someone wrote, it is a long way from Vancouver, especially if you need to return.

You say a week in Whistler and Vancouver: Vancouver itself could well be worth a week, and then add on several more days for Whistler.

Any interest in the USA? You could go to Seattle, and you could check out tours of Boeing, in Everett, just north of Seattle. I know my kids would have loved that tour when they were 17, 11 or 10.

But the next choice is easy -- you go to Victoria for a couple of days. The ferry ride is fun, the BC Museum is great for the kids, if budget permits there are seaplane rides.

BAK
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Even though your kids are keen skiers they have to ski in The Rockies at least for bragging rights. A wealthy friend of my brothers used to fly in to go skiing from Bermuda and take all his kids to the 2nd hand shop and get winter gear for skiing. I am unsure if he sold it back or what happened after they left. If you insist on coming to Alberta maybe you should fly, there may be some great deals as the Calgary Herald today said that airline traffic is down and airlines are lowering fares( 1 hour 10 minutes to Calgary versus 12 hours in a car on underdetermined road conditions). With the Olympics happening there will be a lot going on in Whistler and New Years eve in Whistler should be outstanding this year. The Fairmont Hotels put on an amazing Christmas, from decorations to meals.
Or as BAK says Vancouver Island is a great place. the Cathederal Forest has some of the oldest trees right beside the road. The weather is more temperate than Alberta and there is a lot of things to do up Tofino or Ucluelet Sound way.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:40 AM

I just saw this video on another forum.http://vimeo.com/4946485 it is about the Uclelet trail
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 08:54 AM
ltt

sometimes the skiing in december is horrible anyways so i wouldn't make that a priority. i remember one year that jasper didn't even open (other then a few runs) until after christmas. the rockies are beautiful any time of year. either bus or rent a car to go to banff for a few day or take via rail to jasper from vancouver.
i would also look at tofino if you like waundering beaches and looking at awesome waves. there are some great condos you could rent out there
http://www.tofinovr.com/
http://www.southchestermantofino.com/
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM

On our ski trip to Breckenridge this past Christmas we met a family who had skiied many years in Canada. The kids, after skiing in at least 3 locations in Canada, prefer the Colorado Rockies much more because Canada is extremely cold. If you want to turn them off to skiing, that might be the way to do it! Otherwise, find kid activities that they'll enjoy.