Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whistler, Jasper, Banff 13 nights, thoughts on must see/dos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting very excited for this trip, after 3 weeks inc. Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Seattle and a 7 night Alaskan Cruise we collect our RV's (2 x Couples, 2 x RV's).
We pretty much have our rough plan sorted, now getting stuck into the finer details. I'd love your thoughts on the time we've allowed in each place and any of your special places we shouldn't miss. May 12 to June 25, we love nature/scenery/photography/food and wine
<u>Nights</u>
<b>3 x Whistler</b>, as this is our first stop we've booked a campground (Whistler RV Park), just to know where we are staying and to settle in to the groove of it.
<b> 1 x Clearwater/Kamloops (?)</b>, just for a stopover on the way to Jasper.
<b> 3 x Jasper NP</b> looking at Whistler's Campground.
<b> 2 x Wilcox Creek</b> looks like a good stop on the Ice Fields Parkway (?)
<b> 4 x Banff</b> should we split our time here? Lake Louise 2 & Banff 2 or just stay in one spot?

We are then going to drop down into the States and explore NP's for another 2 weeks, our traveling buddies head to NYC.
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 01:42 PM

Welcome!

Your dates are quite early, so that's going to limit your options for RV campsites int he national parks. However, do you mean June 12 to June 25??

Whistlers is probably going to be your only option in Jasper (I think Wapiti opens for the long weekend only and then not again until June 20). I'd probably book ahead for weekends, especially if you want two sites next to each other and especially if you want a hook up.

Wilcox does not open until June 6, so if you are starting in May it won't be an option. I think the only option that early would be the Icefields Centre parking lot, or if your vehicle is under 27ft, Jonas Creek.

Wilcox is a lovely campsite, but more rustic than some and won't accommodate larger RVs, so you need to make sure your RVs are small enough. It is way out from anything else, so you are going to be cooking/eating in the RV. Also, it has relatively few spaces and is popular for tent camping for people climbing/hiking in the area, so can fill earlier than other sites.

Banff and Lake Louise can be explored from either or. In Lake Lousie your only option is the Lake Louise campsite - it's very close to the railroad tracks, so it's not a good place for light sleepers. Note that it's actually about 5km from the lake, so you'd have to drive or hike to the lake. I'd probably be inclined to stay in Banff for 4 nights to cut down on dealing with check in/check out, finding spots etc.

I would also note that May 15-18 is a holiday weekend. Generally there is a prohibition on any consumption of alcohol in national park campsites on long weekends. You can have it stored in your RV, but no consumption in or outside the RV. They will generally post an up to date notice on the parks website closer to the summer season with the regulations/rules.
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 01:54 PM

Thinking again, it would help to clarify exactly when you will be in the Rockies. May vs. June makes a huge difference. In mid-May, most lakes will still be frozen, seasonal roads will be shut and many hiking trails outside the valley bottoms will be snowbound.

So, if you are coming in May, no access to Moraine Lake, Takkakaw Falls, the Edith Cavell area or the teahouse at Lake Louise. And you easily get below freezing temps camping on the Icefields Parkway and at Lake Louise, so you need warm bedclothes. Wilcox, for instance, could still have snow and be quite chilly - it all but snowed on us there in July last year. And you would not be able to do any hiking in that area in May, and maybe not even in early June. (I have skied Parker's Ridge, which is nearby in mid May).

It would also be too early for any lake cruises. In June, most roads will be open and temperatures are likely to be much more pleasant, plus you will have a lot more hiking options.
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your great reply, sorry yes it should read <u><b>June 12</b></u> to June 24.

Our RV's are 25'.
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 08:16 AM

OK.

Whistlers will still be your only option in the Jasper area, but you will have more options in other locations.

I'm not an RVer, but a 25ft foot RV will be OK in most locations, though at the upper end of the recommended size range for many campsites on the Icefields Parkway. Wilcox, for instance, is suggested for RVs up to 27ft long so you need to be comfortable with getting an RV into a tighter spot and not having a lot of extra room at the site.

My memory is that spots were of varying size and not necessarily entirely level. We had one car and two tents - the site was not crowded, but not a lot of extra space either. Sites have a picnic table - there are three(?) cook shelters with tables, wood burning stoves etc. and outhouses.

As I said, Wilcox is popular with hikers, and quite small, so you need to arrive early to ensure a spot, especially if you want one of the larger sites. Otherwise, you'd be looking at the Icefields Centre parking lot, which has no hookups/water or a long drive to another site.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much kgsneds, great info. I think we will try to park at Wilcox (both RV drivers very competent) and if not, sounds like we wont have any trouble staying at the Icefields Centre.

Good to know about Whistlers in Jasper.......I'll get on to it ASAP, as we know our dates for there.

Also good to hear about the weather too, I probably didn't realize it would still be quite so cold.....love love love the cold. 37deg here in Brisbane today and its AUTUMN!!!

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi again kgsneds (or anyone that can help) We will book Whistlers in Jasper. I've worked out the booking system and can book from April 1. My question is, how on earth to 'pick' a site?? I pulled up the map and also google street view, so I kinda know the set up.......but how to know which ones to select? I've narrowed it down to ones with a bathroom near by........
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 06:33 PM
ltt

have you checked out rv.net - might get some good details there. most people don't camp on the parkway...as long as you are into a day of hiking, then it would be good but otherwise, i might put those two nights somewhere else. where are you headed afterwards on your way to the states? if considering waterton and glacier (going to the sun highway?), you'll have to check if you can get reservations...might be booked already.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 04:22 PM

Hello Aussie... so glad you are coming to our part of the world, you are going to love it! A couple of questions - are you ok staying at campsites with no services, especially for those one to two night stopovers? We appreciate both, but especially enjoy the unserviced areas. The sites are less crowded, and can be (tho no guarantees) not quite as popular as places with hook ups. I can make some better recommendations according to how you answer that. =) I kind of assume you are ok with no services if you are considering Wilcox?
Very helpful to get your dates clarified that it's June you are visiting here, can make a huge difference. So far, it's looking like an early spring, but ya never know with weather!! You didn't mention hiking, swimming or golfing, are those on your activity lists? Photography will be NO problem, it's a postcard everywhere you look -- rain, snow, sunshine and all points between.
While I wait to hear back on your reply, I will look into my notes from our most recent summer drives over that area last year, especially around Kamloops.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 01:18 PM

We live Banff and are heading there for the third time.. Can't wait to show the kids this time!
There's a great store way down over the bridge and to your right....you have to walk a few metres...it's like a trading post ...we got some great souvenirs there for the kids last time....native Indian tomahawks and such...nicer than other places downtown
We had a fun night at a Greek restaurant...went there twice ..lots of dancing and music and food was good.. I'll think of the name in a minute it's on Banff avenue itself .

We loved loved emerald lake...that's not far from Banff. We are going in winter so many hiking trails are closed but lake emerald is lovely to walk on...it'd be stunning in summer! It's got a beautiful restaurant for lunch or afternoon tea!
We drove up to golden where there's a wolf reservation...interesting for us Aussies. it was a daytrip.we visited a buffalo ranch too..found it ...but the buffalo were far in the forest and wouldn't venture out. It was a gorgeous property ...don't know where we found it advertised but it's quite well- known
Fellow who owns it writes music and performs..kinda a singing cowboy!

The road to jasper is gorgeous...also check out the hoodoos..stunning rock formations...Google so you know what to look out for...you can't miss them..it's just you might not recognise what they are..so different from anything in oz

In Banff we had a walk down near bow river and also explored up round the back of Banff springs hotel...nice views

Husband and friend went into the hot pool there...said it was great...we ate at that hotel one night..good food and it's worth having a look at it anyway

This time I'm hoping to go up in the gondola..never done that before
It's a different town in summer...gorgeous in snow but you don't get to experience the colour of the lake water in winter and that's something that is quite incredible
I'd stay in Banff and just do daytrip to lake Louise but since you're in a Rv then maybe split the time..
You'll have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

You guys are great...........I'm just back from buying my 'hiking' boots. So to answer your question re hiking, yes but more day walks not full on backpacker type hiking, hope that makes sense? There will be hours and hours of walking but in shorter bursts, 2-3 hours at a time.

Re no hook up camping, absolutely happy to do it. We will also do some full hook-ups occasionally, but will do power at least 'most' of the time. Again I hope that makes sense.

Be assured ALL your suggestions are being noted.
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 09:43 PM

If you need warm gear try ll bean
Love their stuff
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 01:49 PM

hey aussie-d, almost relieved to hear you are interested in day hikes! We love that length as well, so buckle up and I'll start with some Jasper and area info. Whistlers is a great location to stay for your 3 nights.
Jasper and area: www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/index.aspx
1. Mt. Edith Cavell: hopefully, access road will be open. Some websites describe the easier hike/walk to Cavell Pond, that trail no longer exists due to a huge chunk of a glacier that fell off in the middle of an August night a couple of years ago. It started a wave - completely changing the landscape of the valley where that trail was. You can still see the area, there were/are alternate trails, with better views. Warning: it can be very busy. Allow for at least half a day, depending on weather/desired length of hike
2. Miette Hot Springs, if you dig geothermal pools (I don't but many do): a different look in geology, about 20 km off the highway. While the "new" swimming pool completely lacks charm imo, Miette won't likely be as busy as Banff's charming hot springs. Check out the ruins of the old pool where my memories are saved. A small but sweet resort there remains a family run operation including restaurant, see mhresort.com Allow for the better part of a day if swimming - a good poor weather option.
3. Maligne Lake: this includes Maligne Canyon, Medicine Lake and Maligne Lake, each deserves a stop. I recommend the cruise that takes you to the other end of Maligne Lake, where Spirit Island is located... although SI is maybe more meaningful to Canadians. But the scenery is incredible. See malignelake.com Very full day.
Other excellent options: Jasper Sky Tram, includes various trails at the top jasperskytram.com; Valley of the Five Lakes, about a 5 km circuit; take a peek at Horseshoe Lake or Patricia and Pyramid Lakes
hikejasper.com may be helpful

Will continue in separate posts for other locations - Stay tuned. =)
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

out_and_about.....thank you so much......I'm staying tuned.
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 08:34 AM

Note that you cannot take RVs on the Edith Cavell Road. So if you are in an RV, that's not an option. Also, though the road opens sometime around mid June, some of trails don't open until later in order to give the fauna a chance to recover from the spring melt.
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 12:33 PM

Thanks kgsneds... that is true re the last stretch of road into Cavell. We pull an RV trailer, so it's not an issue for us, but will be for them. aussiedreamer will need to keep an eye on all the trail reports that early in the season, truth be told. Some years some are knee deep in snow still, others are clear, but often muddy or at least wet. Appreciate your follow up on this and anything else. =)
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks one and all........so helpful. If we get to 'see' some snow we will be very happy......still incredibly hot here in Queensland and its supposed to be Autumn!!

If there are closures we will work around it, that's the joy of a flexible plan. Keep it coming, with thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 03:01 PM

Highway 93 North Ice Fields Parkway from Jasper:
Since you enjoy nature and photography, I hope that the weather will cooperate because that drive from Jasper to Banff has to be one of the most beautiful drives, in the world. There are many pull out view points to take advantage of, some with posted information included. The Weeping Wall, for example - wow.

Heading south on Highway 93N, consider taking the 93A - a paved road that is the old highway about 5 km? south of Whistler’s, not as used as the 93. Doing this may increase your chances at spotting wildlife. (Permit me to say… do not ever try to feed wild animals and stay in your vehicle, despite what you see others doing.) 93A comes out onto the 93 at Athabasca Falls, which is well worth stopping for. Spring run off will likely be underway, with higher water volumes rushing through the rivers and tributaries, making for fantastic photo ops. Further down the 93N is Sunwapta Falls, another stop you may want to take time for. We hiked right down to the bottom last August and enjoyed every turn. Did I take too many pics? ... maybe...
Staying at Wilcox a couple of nights is likely good positioning, although the wind coming off the glaciers there is *cold*, even in the summer. Keep that in mind as you decide/prepare. We prefer Honeymoon Lake, not as far south on Highway 93N but I have to keep in mind you are driving RVs, as kgsneds pointed out! =)
There’s lots of online info for the Columbia Icefields, keep an eye out for the Glacier Skywalk, opened in 2014. I shouldn’t knock it – I haven’t tried it. Access is via Brewsters and I hear tickets are purchased at the Columbia Icefields area. See brewster.ca/rocky-mountains/destinations/columbia-icefield/activities/glacier-skywalk/ for info.

Once past the Ice Fields and area, you are heading on toward Lake Louise and Banff, and move into Banff National Park,
pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/visit.aspx
Consider making a stop at Highway 11 junction, aka the David Thompson Highway and named for a prolific explorer in these parts. The café isn’t bad, the gift shop can be interesting, and the ice cream counter is usually available. There is also fuel as needed, expensive but as is anywhere in the mountains. And SO much better than running out! But there are many gorgeous picnic spots ahead…
Waterfowl Lakes is one of these, another cooler campground location in our experience. And just about any campground from here on will again be close to railway tracks, some people complain about that - we prefer to accept it as part of the experience because the tracks are not getting moved anytime soon!
Peyto Lake lookout is s a short uphill walk from the parking lot, but do not pass this by. It is at the top of Bow Summit, and gives a spectacular view up the Bow Valley, as well as beautiful Peyto Lake below. Bring cameras, bring binocs, bring jackets and maybe mitts.
Bow Lake is another picture postcard, I remember cycling by in the summer as a young teen, with a very old frontier guide Jimmy Simpson resting outside Num-ti-Ja Lodge, his last summer, I believe – you will spot the historic Lodge’s red roof easily from the highway beside Bow Lake. Someday, we must stop to eat at the lodge and hike the area! Check out sntj.ca
Not much further now, by Canadian standards (and maybe by Australian too?) and Highway 93 North joins the Number 1 TransCanada Highway. Next stop Lake Louise area and Banff.
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much...........
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 10:50 PM

First, a correction... re: railroad tracks, I'm getting Waterfowl Lakes site mixed up with Johnston Campground, which is closer to Banff. I hope kgsneds will jump in anytime! =)
On to Lake Louise:
Where to stay... my suggestion would be to split the 4 nights into 2 and 2 for Lake Louise and Banff, as you mentioned. You have to "break camp" anyway to drive an RV but you won't have to put in the miles and time to go back and forth this way. Lake Louise campground is definitely close to the tracks, serviced sites there work especially well for 2 RVs travelling together, you essentially share the same spot, like double parking. Space efficiency trumps how close you want your camp neighbours I guess!
The town of Lake Louise is more a village, with the Samson Mall a major stopping point - fuel, sporting goods, book store, a bakery that's crazy busy in the summer... a smallish grocery store and a few more. The Post Hotel a few blocks away keeps an impressive wine cellar, posthotel.com/wine/wine-cellar/ We love the smaller Lake Louise Station Restaurant as well.
The Lake, Louise is beautiful, maybe especially in the sunshine because of the blue colour. Some tourists ask what we put in the water to make it like that... Yikes! Google "rock flour" because we don't add colour! You will be able to walk to the end of the lake, even if it's wet. Hope you can get into Lake Agnes, it's an incline but hey, downhill coming back. And there's a cute little historic tea house perched on the lake, very photogenic. The trail can be busy, likely wet that time of year - but you will be checking current trail info, right? That will be important for assessing access to Little Beehive.
On the way to Lake Louise is the access road into Moraine Lake, which should be open by that point in June. The lodge there offers not only a fine menu but views to match. If you don’t have reservations you may score a table by going before 6pm. The trails from lakeside range from easy to difficult and a clamber up the rock pile is required by most visitors. It also gives you cell phone access.

Heading east on Highway 1 toward Banff, you have the option of accessing the old highway, the Bow Valley Parkway, as you head out of Lake Louise village. It can also be accessed from Highway 1 at the junction of Highway 93 South, aka Castle Mountain Junction. This later access will give you (hopefully) magnificent views as you approach Castle Mountain on your left, and also note the Highway 1 animal overpasses built in recent years to accommodate and preserve wild animal corridors – and avoid road kill. Wolves are sometimes seen to favour the less noticeable underpasses as well, where they apparently wait at the exit points for their next lunch! True fact? … so I’ve heard.

A very popular hike is accessed off of the Bow Valley Parkway, into Johnston’s Canyon. Be warned, it is one of the busiest trails because it is hard surfaced and fairly level… and interesting. If you wish to go beyond the beginners’ trail and past the lower and upper falls, gaining some elevation as you go and trail conditions permitting, you will end up in an alpine meadow and at the Ink Pots. These are naturally formed spring fed pools of varying vivid colours scattered across the meadow with the craggy peaks of the Sawback Range forming an incredible backdrop. About four hours return. We like Johnston Canyon Campground's lovely location, with aforementioned train tracks along one edge. zzzzzz… But there are other options closer to Banff, right in town (more or less) on Tunnel Mountain, or out at Two Jack Lake for example. Take your pick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -