Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   whistler honeymoon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/whistler-honeymoon-233653/)

stacey Jun 23rd, 2002 09:54 AM

whistler honeymoon?

I am planning a 1 year anniversary trip for my husband and I and we would like to go skiing. I've read some wonderful things online about the Whistler area. Also read that the Westin there is ranked as a top resort. Would you recommend it? My husband is a somewhat experienced skiier, but I have never been so I will be needing to take a class or some lessons or something.<BR>We plan go spend 5 or 6 nights and will be coming from Florida. Any insight will be great!<BR>Oh yeah, almost forgot! We will be trying to go either late December (through Christmas or New Year's, but preferably Christmas so we can be home for the New Year) or in mid-March (I'm a teacher and so have to vacation when the students do). <BR>Thanks!

stacy Jun 23rd, 2002 09:56 AM

sorry, I know the title of this post is "Whistler Honeymoon" and it's really our 1 year anniversary, but also kind of like a honeymoon because we really didn't get one of those! Thanks again!

Ken Jul 8th, 2002 11:14 PM

Hi...and congratulations..let the good times continueto roll.<BR>I have been all over the world, have skied in France, Utah, the East (boo) and can guarentee you that Whistler is one of the best all around places to spend time, be it your honeymoon or a vacation anytime during the year. It goes far beyond just skiing. It is a class resort area, with great eateries and nice shops. It's not pretentious like many resorts in the US. Also, if you take the trip down to Vancouver, you will a beautiful city and you find great buys on everything.<BR>My wife and I loved Whistler (which we visited for a week in the summer!) My skiing buddies spent a week there in February and LOVED it. Go. The Westin is a class act. <BR>My best wishes to both of you.<BR><BR>Ken of Long Island, NY<BR>

Ken Jul 8th, 2002 11:18 PM

Oops! Please excuse the typos. It's late, but that is no excuse for a fellow teacher! (High School, Spanish)<BR>

Lily Jul 9th, 2002 07:40 AM

I live in Vancouver and we go to Whistler periodically. It is a beautiful place summer or winter. The drive from Vancouver to Whistler (approximately one hour) is spectacular. We will be going up there for the last weekend in August (a little get away before school - I also am a teacher) and staying at the Westin. I will report back about the hotel then (if you can wait that long). I'm pretty sure there are fireplaces in every room and I do know the location is great. You can walk everywhere from there.<BR>They offer skiing lessons in the winter and the instructors are great. The village has lots of little shops and great places to eat (I find them a little pricey but if you are paying with US dollars it will be reasonable for you). You will have a great time.<BR>

Lily Jul 9th, 2002 07:44 AM

Stacey,<BR>I stand corrected, not all rooms have a fireplace. To get a good idea what the hotel is like check www.preferredguest.com and type Whistler in the city box.