Which hotel to stay at !!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Vancouver for two days and nights before our cruise leaves.. Am looing for a hotel to stay in moderately priced. Some choices Ihave found: Ramada limited downtown, Plaza 500 Hotel, Best Western, Howard Johnson, St. Regis, or Executive hotel downtown. Do we want to stay downtown?? We do not know anything about Vancouver. Help
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Hello Nascarmkm: When are you coming to Vancouver and what is your hotel price range? Yes, I'd definitely suggest staying downtown, especially when you only have two days. A little more info and this board can help you.
Cheers, Linda
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

WE will be in Vancouver July 29th - July 31st. Our price range is around $125.oo a night. Also, what to do in vancouver in two days???? Any info will help !!!
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Nascarmkm: July 29 - 31 is prime vacation time in Vancouver especially as that timeframe is part of a long weekend here (B.C. Day), so you'll want to book your hotel asap. I don't know all of the hotels you mentioned - perhaps someone else can help here - but IMO the Plaza 500 Hotel is too far away for just a two day visit (not in the downtown core); the Ramada Downtown Vancouver is in a dodgey area of town; the Executive Downtown Hotel would be fine - a little bit out of the d/town core, say a 0.5 km walk away. Best Westerns are plentiful: the Century Plaza on Burrard would be fine, perhaps a little noisy with a hospital emergency room next door; Best Western Chateau Granville's rooms are supposed to be fine, but again in an edgey part of town (for me, anyway). Hope that helps a bit.
For things to do: everything! Walk the seawall from the Pan Pacific Hotel right around Stanley Park (prob. 8 km, so you might want to hop onto a tour bus or horse and buggy - your hotel can help you with this). Walk down Robson Street for window shopping and people watching. Take the free downtown tour bus to Granville Island, a couple of clicks away from the downtown core, and walk its circumference (not big), enjoy its market and marinas, eat and relax. If you've got some specific hobbies/interests, let us know and we can direct you.
Have a wonderful time!
Cheers, Linda
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Linda How about the Comfort Inn downtown?
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 06:32 PM

The Comfort Inn is right at Granville Street and has a very popular bar - Doolins - right inside. The location is right in the middle of all the bars, clubs, shops (including some trashy XXX shops) of Granville Street. It will be very loud with lots of people around.

I would stay downtown but stay west of Granville Street to avoid the 'edginess' referred to by Linda as well as the noise. There is a Mariott Residence Inn on Hornby St. that might fit your range, as well as the Century Plaze, Empire Landmark.

The Plaza 500 is not downtown so you would need to take a short bus ride to most things.

The Ramada and St. Regis are not really in the best of locations - it is a bit sketchy. If you have to pick one, I would pick the St. Regis.

You might want to do a search on this site to come up with some other suggestions.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help.. One more question? We have narrowed it down to the Crown plaza or the Blue horizon?? What do you think
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 08:13 PM

If you are talking about the Crown Plaza Hotel Georgia at 801 West Georgia, I would definitely stay there. It is in a great location just across from the 4 Seasons, near great shopping and restaurants and is a very nice place. I don't really know anything about the Blue Horizon.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:08 PM

I used Priceline for a hotel a week earlier, got the Hyatt downtown for $80.00 p/n U.S.