Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Which Gulf Island ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/which-gulf-island-66272/)

Lloyd Mar 23rd, 2000 07:34 AM

Which Gulf Island ?

My wife and I are hoping to spend 3 or 4 days,walking, cycling, watching wildlife and the ferries in Active Passage as part of a 3 week tour of B.C. Galiano seems our best bet but not too sure about the Woodstone Country Inn. Hastings House on S.S.I. is beyond our budget and whereas Oceanwood Hotel on Mayne sound nice, maybe not enough to do there? Has anyone any suggestions for the rest of the time? We've driven and trained from Calgary to Vancouver, spent 10 days on Vancouver Island and "done" the Inside Passage and Port Alberni to Bamfield. What about driving up to Prince Rupert, taking in Lake Shuswap? This will probably be our last trip from Wales so we want to make it even more special than our previous ones. <BR>Many thanks, Lloyd

Susan Mar 23rd, 2000 08:32 AM

We stayed at Moonstone B&B on Galiano Island last summer and really enjoyed it. The property is lovely - they have 2 nice little dogs and several ducks which wander around the property. They have a hot tub on the deck as well. Our room was very pleasant (queen sized bed and private bath) and the breakfast was excellent. We were right next to Woodstone and in fact we had dinner there one evening, so it was very convenient. I don't have the e-mail address for them, but you can find it if you do a search on Galiano Island. There isn't a lot to do on Galiano - we were meeting up with friends who were on a boat - but I noticed that people cycling, walking, etc.

caliz Mar 23rd, 2000 06:12 PM

We have a reservation in April at Oceanwood Country Inn on Mayne Island. That there may not be a lot to do there was an attraction for us. Found the innkeeper very responsive when making arrangements. Anyone stayed there? <BR> <BR>http://www.oceanwood.com/

April Mar 23rd, 2000 10:23 PM

Lloyd, <BR>Saltspring wouldn't be your best bet for viewing Active Pass, but there would probably be more to do there and it's easy to get to. I like the views from Mt. Maxwell. <BR> <BR>Can't say I was too enthralled with Prince Rupert.

Kathy Mar 25th, 2000 11:53 AM

Have stayed at Oceanwood twice and loved it both times! Mayne Island is much less commercial than SSI.......but, if, as stated you want to walk, cycle, watch wildlife and the ferries--Mayne has all that! We rented kayaks and even had the luck to come across some Orca whales! There is a wonderful trail that goes along the shoreline of Active Passage, and a fun place to have lunch on an outside deck that also overlooks it. One the other side of the island is a small park with trails that lead to some terrific shoreline as well. There isn't a lot of traffic on the island so that makes it ideal for cycling as well. Oceanwood is tops!

Randy Mar 25th, 2000 04:07 PM

What type of cycling are you looking for? If you are into more than just casual cycling check out a book called " The Canadian Rockies Bicycling Guide" by Gail Helgason and John Dodd. One of the trips is in the west kootenay's, and is called the silver triangle. One stretch of this narrow under used highway is so beautiful, it hurts the eyes. This stretch from New Denver through silverton and down to nelso offers a great vista of Slocan Lake. You can also hire a boat and go across slocan lake into a protected wilderness area that offers a great hike. Another easier hike is in to kokanee glacier, eithe from the west or east. The west kootenay's are by far my favourite are for cycling and riding my Goldwing. By the way shuswap is not a lake, but a series of lakes. It is quite a beautiful area. You did mention what time of year you are travelling, but for the Shuswaps, late July and early august are best as the water temperature is perfect for swimming. Another possibility is to rent a houseboat.(check three buoys for prices, usually about $1000cdn/week). I hope this helps some. Any questions repost and I'll help you if I can.

Lloyd Mar 27th, 2000 10:09 AM

Hello, <BR> Thank you all for your comments and thank you Randy for your advice on cycling. We are casual cyclists and I will be 70 shortly so not too fit. I imagine that the Silver Trail that you describe might be beyond our ability but we shall include it in our motor tour. Incidentally this will now be based on the itinerary that you suggested to the Bath family in an earlier message. However, if you think it would be within our range and cycle hire facilities are nearby we'd appreciate a further message. Many thanks, Lloyd. <BR>

Randy Mar 30th, 2000 02:47 PM

The silver triangle is fairly intense. Lot's of uphil downhill. Definately not what you are looking for. I'm not sure about cycle rentals in the area, although Nelson or Creston would be good bets. Banff will have plenty of day rentals for there. The hot springs at Ainsworth, Nakusp, or Halcyon would probably be great for you. If you want to stay at the Ainsworth hotsprings hotel, make reservations at least a month in advance. Also try Rosewood Bed and Breakfast in Kaslo, if not to stay, then at least for lunch. When are you planning to travel? email me direct, or post again for more info.