Where to stay in Calgary

Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Calgary

We have a nicely planned vacation coming up in September 2006- most of it is planned except for our next to last day in Canada. We are flying out of Calgary at 7:15 am so I have decided we should spend our last night somehwere near the airport (anyone have a hotel/motel/inn suggestion?). We depart from Field, BC ( we have 4 nights in Yoho,4 nights in Jasper, 1 in Edmonton) and we are looking for either a scenic leisurely drive through to Calgary, some kind of activity that on the way that might take 1/2 day - we love fly fishing, or small town visits, moderate hikes, cultural or historic points of interests - but prefer to get to Calagary no later than 5pm - so we can pack up, get a nice meal and get a good night's rest before we head home - as we have to go to work the day after we get home.
Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:40 PM

For the last several visits, I have used the Greenwood Inn as my hotel in Calgary.

It is located on the northeast side of the main city, just off the Barlow Trail, which is the main road that leads directly to the Calgary airport. I thin k you can drive from the hotel to the airport is less than 10 minutes.

I find the rooms with king sized beds to be very comfortable and spacious. (And if you have your swim suit, the hotel pool is decent enough for an indoor facility.) Also, the hotel has a decent restaurant, and parking is free.

Rental car return at the airport is usually very easy and straightforward.

I am not sure what time the various rental places open, but most agencies have a drop box.

Your main problem will be getting through US immigration control. And don't put any apples in your luggage, or US customs will take them away from you.

I find that having a passport helps get through immigration control.

Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

thanks Bob
Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:26 PM

Hello darkwaters,

I'm not sure where you'll spend your last night before Calgary.

You said you'd depart from Field, BC, but then when you listed the places in which you would stay, you mentioned Edmonton last.

If you'll be coming to Calgary from Field, and if you've already seen what you want to see in the Rockies by then (Emerald Lake, Takakkaw Falls, Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Johnston Canyon, etc.), you might consider returning to Calgary via the more circuitous route through Kananaskis Country, the beautiful Highwood Pass and the cute little towns of Longview, Black Diamond, Turner Valley and Bragg Creek. You would need to drive from Field to Canmore on the TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1), and then a little distance east of Canmore you would turn south on Hwy #40 to go through Kananaskis Country. There are an itinerary and maps on my website at:

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...iscountry.msnw

If you'll be coming to Calgary from Edmonton, I recommend taking a detour to include Drumheller in your drive. There you can see the amazing dinosaur skeletons in the Tyrrell Museum. You can comfortably do the drive, see the museum, and be in Calgary by 5.00 p.m.
Jun 24th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Judy:
I just read your website itinerary and the drive from Field to Calgary is exactly what I was hoping for. Bragg Creek sounds like the type of place we crave to find on our vacations. We actually begin our trip in Edmonton(1 night), then onto Jasper (4 nights), then Field( 4 nights) and Calgary (1) -We arrive on the 9th of Sept and leave on the 19th- and I'm very anxious to see the Canadian Rockies - looking forward to vacation. Thanks All...
Jun 24th, 2006, 06:22 AM

The Greenwood is not the only hotel in that area of Calgary, but I like it. I have some of the others, but the Greenwood has a good combination of features.

As I said, the size of the king room is very nice.

You will have a very good trip. I will not be visiting the Canadian Rockies this year, but we have been quite a few times because we think the scenery is fantastic and the people in that part of the world are equally terrific.

I remember my first visit to Calgary when we flew there from our home in Georgia. We had rented a car and were searching for a styrofoam ice container and other supplies for our trip. We went to one store but it had sold all its ice chests. A young man who worked there drew me a little map so I could find Canadian Tire, which had what I needed.

I thought the gesture of drawing the map was most courteous.

At any rate, at Takkakaw Falls, get as close to the plunge basin as safety permits to experience the awesome power of water falling from that height.

For Yoho, you might be able even now to get a reservation on the Lake O'Hara bus. It is a little expensive, but I think of it as buying a ticket to a concert or similar attraction. If you want some high adventure, walk up to Lake Opabin and take the Yukness Ledge trail toward Lake Oesa. Or, alternatively, take the highline trail to Lake McArthur. (Take the highline, not the lowline.) That is one of the most spectacular 2 mile hikes you will find. There is some elevation gain, but I made it last summer. At age 72, if I can do it, so can you.
Jun 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks Bob, just finished reading about Lake O'Hara - it sounds spectacular.
Jun 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM

The demand for cabins at Lake O'Hara, and the limitations on capacity, have enabled the price structure to keep right on climbing. A 2-person cabin for one night is not over $600 C. The price includes meals, but even so, that is getting into the high priced range for me.

You can call Yoho park headquarters and make reservations beginning 90 days ahead of the planned trip. The problem is that you do take a chance that you will have good weather.

Just about any hike you take around O'Hara is spectacular. If you really want some adventure, try one of the alpine routes!

The Yukness ledge is one of them, but it is relatively level. The trail at times is a route marked with paint as it traverses talus slopes. At one point you have a view straight down to the lake from about 1,000 feet directly above it.

Unforgettable.
Jun 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Bob - glad someone else likes Lake OHara. I have been recommending it but nobody has been that interested. My brother skis in with his ski club in Calgary several weekends a winter and just love it.
Jun 25th, 2006, 04:07 PM

I have been there only in the summer.
On one August 24 we had the pleasure of hiking around in 4 inches of fluffy snow.

I just about fell in Lake Oesa before I saw it, which gives an indication of the visibility.

I admire the strength and stamina of people who hike up that scree slope to the ACC hut perched on top of Abbot's Pass. I admire even more the skill and strength of people who come up from the other side!

For those of you who don't know, the other side is mostly glacial ice.