Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to Relax for Couple with Baby after conference in Vancouver

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying from South to Vancouver for a conference. Husband and 1 year old are coming with and we are looking for a post conference destination. Looking for beautiful scenery, easy walks, someplace where just soaking up the atmosphere is good vs lots of excursions.

On a quick read of postings had me thinking Vanouver Island vs Victoria - just to get more removed but I am a little concerned about too long drive. Saw some lodging in Tofino that might make sense.

Just starting the research and I am grateful for any advice to help me sort through what is a lot of information on the boards here.

This is in May and we'll have about 5 days post conference.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

PS posting for my sister in case anyone recognizes sfmaster and is wondering how I got a 1 year old?
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:06 AM
ltt

tofino would be a great place to go and relax.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:21 AM
BAK

Tofino -- wonderful place, but a long way away.

Theremight be something to be said for just staying in Vancouver for a couple od days -- perhaps move to the Westin Bayshore -- and take strolls to Stanley Park and a cab to Granville Island, some otehr parks, ride on the seabus and go for a walk in North Vancouver.

And then go to Victoria for two or three days.

Whistler in May is calm and relaxed.

BAK

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 09:08 AM

With only 5 days, and a baby I wouldn't go all the way to Tofino.

How much time will you have in Vancouver during the conference? Will you be itching to leave?

I like the idea of a few days in each of Vancouver and Victoria.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Oh good some info. They will have 1-2 days Before the conference and then 3 days of conference which won't be super intense. SO staying in Vancouver isn't going to be too fun.

Looking for more ideas of where to go for lots of natural beauty, water views. Alternatives to Tofino that would be closer.

Thanks so much! (My addiction to Fodors makes me the go to gal for trip planning)

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
BAK

The "just soaking up the atmposphere" is the part causing me trouble.

Osmosis must be my middle name, because I get filled up quick, and then bored.

Do you want to go to a nice resort, enjoy the pool, wander around the grounds, eat in nice restaurants?

This sounds like spending two days in Whistler, and then talking a day to drive down to Horseshoe Bay and take the ferry to Vancouver Island, and drive slowly to Victoria. Pick one of the nice hotels in Victoria, and you can easily kill two days there without doing very much, while not getting bored. And May in Victoria is bet5ter than May anywhere else in Canada.

BAK

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM
ltt

i don't think tofino is too far away. an hour's drive to the ferry, short ferry crossing and then about 3 hours drive (beautiful scenary) to tofino. if that is too much time consider salt springs island or galliano.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 09:38 PM

You might want to consider The Semiahmoo Resort in Blaine, Washington.
www.semiahmoo.com
It is just across the border from Whiterock, so very close to Vancouver.
Right on the ocean, it is a beautiful, relaxing spot.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 02:56 AM

Would suggest Tofino and perhaps Nainomo on the East. We travelled Canada for a few weeks with our 3 year old son back in 2001 and really loved VI. After the long haul from Australia via LA it was great to get out and see the country side and some nice walks and drives. There are some great drives out east of Vancouver as well. Vancouver is one of my favourite cities - lots to do - we stayed in Richmond - great bead and breakfast and the host was great -did so much for us.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Tofino it is - Drive will be fine and sounds lovely from other research. Now it is on to lodging. Long Beach and Middle Beach out of price range - Would like to stay under $200. Ideally kitchenett or at least fridge in room could be helpful.

From Trip Advisor I am thinking of Pacific Sands and Best Western Tis Wis.

Thoughts on these and other options would be great.

Old Jan 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM

My family (my parents, younger sister, and myself) stayed at the Ocean Village Resort back in the early 90's on a summer vacation for 3 days, and it's still one of those memorable vacation locations that we still talk about very fondly. This is not a hotel, but a collection of cozy cedar cabins along the beach. We had our own kitchenette, as well as beach access directly from the sliding glass door of our cabin. It certainly gives you more of a rustic feel than a luxurious feel, but it's certainly where I'd want to return to in the future if I were to spend several days relaxing in Tofino, especially if I had children.

http://www.oceanvillageresort.com/ is the website.