Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to Lay Our Weary Heads in Oliver/Osoyoos on July 1?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the black sheep of the family, living in Orlando FL while most everyone else lives in northwestern Washington state. We never congregate as a family unless for a funeral. Until now. My cousin dropped in to see us on an RV trip a few months ago, and has determined to put together a family reunion (the first ever)on the 4th of July.

So we're heading up, but as it is such a long trip and air fares are really high for the holiday, we've decided to come in a few days early. So, since we were in the Okanagan last fall and loved the wineries, we thought we had just enough time to drive up to the southern region (Oliver, Osoyoos) for a day or so.

Our timing, of course, could not be worse. That would put us there on July 1, on the holiday weekend. Lodging is at a premium, and hard to find for a single night. I remember a lot of small motels in that area, though.

So, the question is -- do you have any suggestions as to places to stay? Traveller69, any words of wisdom?

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM

Hi Sludick - nice to hear from you again. Let me know what you would prefer and I will find what is available. Shouldn't be a problem! I am in Oliver right now so I can check availability for you.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Why, thank you kindly!

Although the Holiday Inn and Best Western have rooms, the rate is a bit high. No kitchenette needed, just looking for a room with queen or king bed. High speed internet is always nice; I noticed that even the little mom-and-pop places there tend to have internet access. Nothing really shabby, but nothing really fancy required either.

Pricewise, Holiday Inn started at 196 CAD/night; we'd like to stay below 150.

We plan to visit Hester Creek, Gehringer, Wild Goose, Stag's Hollow, Sumac Ridge, maybe Hawthorn Mountain. Not sure what others. So looking for a base in that vicinity. (We're fans of Okanagan wine, and plan to do some purchasing.)

The family seems to think we're malnourished and plans to give us a huge seafood cookout (with some professional fisherman in the group, that's more common than hotdogs and hamburgers in that crowd). So we're thinking our contribution to the festivities will be a -- liquid form, shall we say?

Your insight, as always, is tremendously appreciated.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:40 PM

Hi Again

Well, I guess little Oliver is more popular than I thought. Not much luck here but the Avalon Inn in Osoyoos has rooms available if you book two nights (their rule of long weekends) Here is their website http://www.avaloninn.ca/
The rate is $129 CAD for two queens and $149 CAD if you would like a suite. It is a nice hotel and does have high speed internet.

I do have some recommendations regarding the wineries though so I can do that in another post. Just thought you may want to get your room booked.

Until tomorrow . . . .
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for checking things out for us! Unfortunately, we only have 1 night (need also to go to Vancouver). We ended up confirming a room at the Southwind.

Will start separate post on the wineries; see you there.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

traveller69 -- I wonder if my story of "escaping crocodiles in Florida" had any bearing on their finding us a room?...