Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Where to go and what to see! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/where-to-go-and-what-to-see-44871/)

Tony May 21st, 1999 07:42 AM

Where to go and what to see!

I will be traveling with 4 other people in mid-August to Seattle and to Victoria. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do and see. We will be traveling for 6days 5 nights. We would like to make the most of the trip in Canada.

Bob Brown May 21st, 1999 08:46 AM

In Victoria, I have two suggestions for top notch attractions: the Royal British Columbia Museum located near the harbor and Butchart Gardens, locted north of the city on the peninsula. Both have excellnt websites that will give you more information. I have been to both places and enjoyed them. I am not a real garden person, but Butchard Gardens are special. The museum gives a good look at the history of BC and the people. Also, I have heard that there is a special exhibit about Ghengiz Khan there this summer.

April May 22nd, 1999 11:50 AM

The museum has an IMAX theatre too, but I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the Genghis Kahn exhibit is past. If you have a car you could drive out to Butchart's Gardens along the highway one way and down West Saanich Road the other for a little scenic variety. W. Saanich follows the coastline for part of the way. Another good drive is the "scenic marine drive" along Dallas Road and through the expensive Uplands neighbourhood. As you pass by Cattle Point you might want to walk the paths among the Garry oaks in Uplands Park. Drive up Mt. Tolmie or Mt. Doug for views of the city and water which can be especially beautiful at dusk. <BR>You'll probably want to spend some time in downtown Victoria where you can explore "Antique Row" on Fort Street (which doesn't have as many antique stores as it used to, but does have a couple of good bakeries), Old Town, Chinatown and, of course Government Street. Be sure to pop into Munro's book store if only to look at the building. There is also Murchie's Tea, Roger's Chocolate and Old Morris Tobacconist (who sells Cuban cigars but also other interesting stuff). When your feet are tired, hop a little harbour ferry for a tour. A quieter place to shop is Oak Bay village or even the town of Sidney. <BR>Many people visit Craigdarroch Castle but I think Hatley Park, about 20 minutes out of town, is more interesting for its beautiful grounds (although I don't know if the castle itself is open to the public). You may see some deer on the lawns and a few peacocks. Wander down the hill beyond the Italian garden and go through the gate to see the pond, bridges and water wheel. It's probably at its finest in spring and fall. <BR>Closer to town you can stroll through Beacon Hill Park where there is a petting zoo. Continue through the park and over the hill for a view of the ocean. Walking paths follow the coastline on the other side of Dallas Road. <BR>For something different, you could take a picnic lunch to Sidney Spit off of Sidney (about a 20 minute ferry ride) which has a long sandy spit, campgrounds, walking trails through the woods and fallow deer - no vehicles to speak of, or drive past Sooke to one of the beaches. French Beach has easy access. Or take a float plane tour of the Olympics or wherever they go. I haven't done it yet but it's probably fabulous. <BR>Then again, there's always tea at the Empress. <BR>

April May 22nd, 1999 03:02 PM

PS. I should have mentioned that the waterfront is seen from West Saanich Road on the portion past Butchart's. Also, if you drive by the Observatory on Saturday night you can go up there and have a look at the stars. Actually much of it is comuterized now and not as much fun. The best part, I think, is looking through the amateurs' scopes in the parking lot. <BR>

April May 22nd, 1999 03:02 PM

PS. I should have mentioned that the waterfront is seen from West Saanich Road on the portion past Butchart's. Also, if you drive by the Observatory on Saturday night you can go up there and have a look at the stars. Actually much of it is comuterized now and not as much fun. The best part, I think, is looking through the amateurs' scopes in the parking lot. <BR>

April May 22nd, 1999 03:03 PM

Yikes, sorry for double posting. And make that "computerized." <BR>