Reload this Page >

Where to go and stay in Montreal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 04:32 AM
X

Planning on a trip this summer to Montreal for a surprise anniversary gift. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend what section of Montreal to stay in (Old Montreal, Central Montreal). I would like to stay in a very nice B&B or inn preferably, or in a luxury hotel if nothing else. <BR>Also looking for great restaurants . . . <BR>Any suggestions?

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 05:49 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi X <BR> <BR>You really can't go too wrong as far as section of Montreal to stay in is concerned. Downtown's very busy with lots of businesses and high-end shopping, Old Montreal's historic but quite touristy, Plateau Mont Royal is real Bohemian and yuppie Montreal and very lively, Westmount is quieter, old moneyed and quaint, Mile-End is mixture Latino/Hasidic Jewish/artist...again very energetic, great restaurants and easy-to-get-around in all areas. All have much to catch your attention. <BR> <BR>I recommend la Raclette on the corner of Gilford and Christophe Colomb in the Plateau (Swiss, $15/entrée, very charming, high quality food, chef innovative yet classic). Modigliani's two blocks away on Gilford is good with live entertainment...Italian. Toqué is supposed to be crême de la crême with a world-renowned chef...on St. Denis not far from Sherbrooke Metro. My friends say the food is BEYOND superlative. French, expensive (maybe not by NYC standards though), but my friends say worth every penny. Cheaper, great portions is Ouzeri on St. Denis corner Gilford. Good wine selection. Greek and nouvelle cuisine. For a steal, go to Amelio's on Milton corner Ste. Famille near McGill University. Ask for their spaghetti special weekday lunches. La Petite Gascogne on Ave. Laurier near Jeanne Mance has to-die-for pastries. Enjoy, Montreal's Faaaabulous. <BR> <BR>Daniel.

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 06:02 AM
x

Thanks Daniel! <BR> <BR>Do you or does anyone else know any good accommodations? <BR>Although I would probably prefer to stay in a B&B or inn (romantic, no TV, etc) I've heard a lot about 2 hotels: <BR>Auberge du Vieux Port and Auberge de la Fontaine. Has anyone ever stayed there? Are they located in a good area for walking around and exploring? Are they rustic, luxurious, touristy, etc? <BR> <BR>Anyone have any other recommendations? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 06:33 AM
elaine

My husband and I stayed at Auberge du Vieux-Port last summer and are staying here again late August. <BR>It is very romantic with excellent concierge and staff. <BR>This auberge has only 27 rooms. You may want to check regarding availability. <BR>Note: this is not a full service hotel.. <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 06:41 AM
elizabeth

Auberge Bonaparte is also very well reviewed - if you search this site you'll find the phone number (sorry - the search function isn't working for me right now otherwise I'd bring it to the top)

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 07:33 AM
elaine

An addition to my earlier post: <BR> <BR>Auberge du Vieux-Port is located in Old Montreal. Phone (from US) 888-660-7678 <BR>If you'd like to /view' the property, do a fast web search using property name.

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 08:48 AM
Daniel Williams

Oh yeah. <BR> <BR>I forgot to mention in my previous e-mail that the restaurants I mentioned are only one of DOZENS that I love in Montreal and I honestly think I'd only hit the tip of the iceberg. (After living there for 5 years, my friends and I, some of them born-and-raised Montrealers would discover gems of restaurants up until nearly the day that I left.) I'm sure you'll have a good time! <BR> <BR>Enjoy Dan.

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 10:15 AM
x

Thanks again. <BR> <BR>Elaine - what do you mean that it is not a full service hotel? What doesn't it have? Is there a restaurant and a full breakfast? <BR>What about it's location? Is it in walking distance to good restaurants, bars? We're not too interested in clubs. <BR> <BR>Anyone have a review of Auberge de la Fontaine? <BR> <BR>Elizabeth - do you know of a website for Auberge Bonaparte or where it's located?

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 12:31 PM
Daniel Williams

X <BR> <BR>You're within easy walking distance to many restaurants and bars at the Auberge du Vieux Port. Vieux Montréal is most accessible from there (5-10 minutes walking distance); but you'll find you'll be able to get most anywhere you want with little difficulty. Montreal is a very compact city with excellent public transport; Downtown, le Village Gai, Quartier Latin, Plateau Mont-Royal, Westmount, Mile-End, Outremont, Stade Olympique, you name it, you can be there quite quickly on the Metro. Enjoy! I'll be headed up there beginning of August (2nd trip this year) and can't wait!

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 01:34 PM
elaine

In your post you referred to 2 "hotels". <BR>Auberge du Vieux-Port is more an 'inn'. My opinion, it is rustic, luxurious and romantic. It does not have nightly turn down service...while 'full service' hotel would be have many rooms, gift shop, etc. What it has is a lovely restaurant (full breakfast included..from a menu), robes, hair dryers and the rooms are wonderful, as are the bathrooms. Location is right at the old port, i.e. St. Lawrence. Very close walking distance to Notre Dame, wonderful bistros, galleries, etc. As I recall, there are only 4-5 rooms per floor. We requested room w/view of the river. If you scroll back to sometime last year, you may find others who also endorse this property. The rooftop terrace is lovely for cocktails/lunch. Since property is only 4 yrs. old, initially I found difficulty finding someone who actually stayed here. I highly recommend. <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 02:30 PM
x

Thanks again - <BR> <BR>I hate to sound indecisive, but does anyone recommend any other accommodations that are priced more reasonably but don't comprise on quality. I'm leaning towards those two hotels, but I'm still in preliminary search. <BR> <BR>Still waiting to see if someone has stayed at Auberge de la Fontaine . . .

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Katie

We've stayed at Auberge de la Fontaine, in a room with a jacuzzi overlooking the park. It's about $50/night less that Auberge du Vieux Port. This is a very relaxing and romantic place for a getaway and I highly recommend it. I was about to give more details, but realized you are "X". You know, you could use an invalid e-mail address, but a real first name.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 03:48 AM
Amy

Sorry if the "X" offended you Katie. <BR> <BR>I'd love to hear more information about your experience at Auberge de la Fontaine.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 06:50 AM
Don and Linda

For ideas on what to see and do in Montreal, you'll want to read our (just-posted) travelogue about our visit last week. Our site is non-commercial. http://www.thetravelzine.com/1canada2000.htm