Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > Where to get hotel in Montreal? Downtown or Old Montreal?
Notices

Where to get hotel in Montreal? Downtown or Old Montreal?

Apr 12th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Where to get hotel in Montreal? Downtown or Old Montreal?

We will be in Montreal for 3 nights starting June 15, 2013 before going to QC. I keep changing my mind between staying in Old Montreal or Downtown. Old Montreal seems like it would be more romantic and charming. Is it very lively? Is it dead at night? I read on another thread that Downtown is more lively with more nightlife. We aren't big night partiers, but do like to go have an occasional drink somewhere and/or listen to music. We do like to be able to walk places, but are not adverse to public transportation...we will not have a car.

Also, I saw on the Montreal Tourism website a "sweet deals" package for this summer, 50% off the third night but it wouldn't let me enter my dates to see prices, etc. Is it too early or should I just try it again next week?

Any recommendations in either area are appreciated. We would like to keep it between $150-200/night. Some I've found in Old Montreal that I put on my list are Auberge Las Passants Du Sans Soucy, L Hotel, or Auberge Plaza de Royale...any thoughts on any of these?
Thank you so much for the help!!
Apr 13th, 2013, 09:54 AM

Montreal's always-hectic summer of fun will be starting when you arrive so you are likely to find prices are higher. Old Montreal is quaint and kept that way for tourism. The downtown, devoted to commerce and retail, is near some attractions. Its nightlife centres on Crescent Street. I prefer the Plateau and Mile End, well to the east, for the liveliest bistros and St-Laurent for bars with a youthful French emphasis.
No one hotel will be convenient for everything. A less-well-known possibility is Hotel de l'Institut, run by the students of the provincial hospitality institute. It sits at the main intersection of St-Denis and Sherbrooke, with the Latin Quarter right below it and not too distant from Old Montreal while the Plateau marches all the way up St-Denis to Mont-Royal. A Metro stop is beside the hotel and it has parking. The place was extensively renovated five years ago. http://www.ithq.qc.ca/en/hotel/ and it is also listed on some of the hotel reservation sites.
Apr 14th, 2013, 07:11 AM

Auberge de la Fontaine in the Plateau neighborhood might appeal to you. they participate in the Sweet Deals program. Not sure why you can't get that to work for you
Apr 15th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Like the above posters, I also prefer the Plateau area, which is a few blocks northeast of the downtown. However, the downtown and Old Montreal are also great areas to stay, and you can easily walk or take the Metro from one area to the other. Old Montreal is very quaint and very packed with tourists, day and night. The downtown is all about shopping and business, with some good restaurants and lots of nightlife on Crescent. If I had to choose, I'd probably pick Old Montreal. The Plateau which is always my preferred neighborhood, is more French, with lots of interesting little restaurants, shops and quiet side streets. St Denis on the Plateau is probably the livliest area of the city. Not many big hotels, but lots of small European type hotels and tons of b&b's.

Search this Thread