Where to buy Pass? (Coming in on #22)

Jul 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Where to buy Pass? (Coming in on #22)

I just read the thread about needing to have this pass as soon as you enter the National Park. As we are coming in on the David Thompson Hgwy (#22) right about Nordegg.

Can we buy one there? Or in Rocky Mountain House?

Thanks,

Carol
Jul 8th, 2006, 09:02 PM

You can buy a national parks pass at the David Thompson Gate, where the David Thompson Highway (Hwy #11) enters Banff National Park.
Aug 15th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Bringing this to the top as I have another question.

With our trip only 3 weeks away, I am cutting and pasting like mad and trying to get all in order.

I noticed this:

David Thompson Gate (open in summer) - for visitors traveling west from Rocky Mountain House and Red Deer along the David Thompson Highway (#11)

Since that is the gate that (hopefully) we will be buying our annual pass at, my question is:
what constitutes "summer"? We will be getting our National Park Pass on 7th or 8th September. Is that still "summer"?

If the David Thompson is closed, where should I get my pass?

Carol
Aug 15th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Unless all xyz breaks loose, the Thompson gate will be open. I have entered Banff NP there and the warden house sits right in the middle of the highway. You can't miss seeing it!!

The drive from Rocky Mountain House is mostly trees all the way to The Crossing, with very few places to stop for anything. When you leave Rocky Mountain House, I suggest a full tank of gas.

The Crossing will have gas, too, as well as something to eat. I waffle on using the term food!!

I think that place must have some sort of a magnet that is quite powerful because it pulls in whole tour buses all day long.

I guess magnet is the right term. It is gender sensitive: One entrance says Women; the other Men.

As for "needing" the pass as soon as you enter, I don't think you can easily get into the park with your car without stopping to pay the fee. [Unless for some unknown reason Parks Canada has moved the entry point. The first time I drove the Icefields Parkway there were no booths at either end to house the personnel who collect fees. Now, at the southern end, there is a fee both very soon after you turn off of the Trans Canada highway just a bit north of Lake Louise Village, and, at the northern end, there is a booth just south of Becker's Chalets near Jasper.

Other than the Thompson highway, there is no exiting from the Icefields Parkway by car.

Aug 15th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Hello Carol,

I agree with Bob Brown.

In addition to what Bob said, someone here recently reported that he had purchased his national parks pass over the phone by calling Parks Canada Agency in Calgary at (403) 292-4401.

He copied and pasted into his post what looked like a page from the Fodor's website. I went looking for it and found it. It's in the Destinations section (the link is near the top left hadn corner of this screen). Then go to Canada, then go to Banff & Canadian Rockies. Then go Smart Travel Tips. The info is on about page 3.

Before paying for the call, see if this toll free number will work for you : (800) 748-7275.

Hope that helps.
Aug 16th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob and Judy,

Yes, it does help. And I also found that in Canada (at least in the Rockies) the summer season goes through September. The winter season would begin in October and that is where the warnings appear to check the weather and road conditions.

Now I just have to get some good socks for our hiking boots and cut and paste all this good Fodor's info into some kind of an order.

Carol