Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Where is the first Shopsy´s (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/where-is-the-first-shopsys-295713/)

Graziella5 Mar 8th, 2003 05:11 PM

Where is the first Shopsy´s

Hi, can anyone tell me the location of the first , older, Shopsy ;s in Toronto.<BR>Is it the one located at 33 Yonge.<BR>I believe there is more than one but I might be wrong. Thank you.

torontopm Mar 8th, 2003 06:46 PM

Hi Graziella:<BR><BR>Yes I believe that 33 Yonge is the older shopsy's. The original shopsy's use to be on Spadina many moons ago; and then they moved to 33 Yonge. I know of two other shopsy's one on King St. West near the theatre district and the other at Yonge and St. Clair (midtown Toronto).<BR>

GaryA Mar 9th, 2003 06:33 PM

Yeah, the original Shopsy's was next to or near the Victory Bulesque Theatre on Spadina. I remember because my wife and I went from Vancouver to Montreal and Expo 67 with a stop in Toronto for our honeymoon and we saw what was one of the last great Burlesque theatres that summer.

Meesthare Mar 10th, 2003 04:58 AM

Wow, you guys are bringing back memories. The original Shopsy's was indeed at the corner of Dundas and Spadina. My grandmother ran a travel agency right near there, and I worked for her during a couple of summers when I was a kid. The secretaries and I used to go to Shopsy's for lunch. There was another deli on Spadina, about half a block north, that was considered a bit better, and for a while you could buy Nathan's hot dogs there. They were brought in, packaged, from Coney Island. Yumm.

BAK Mar 10th, 2003 05:29 AM

And acrosos the street from the original Shopsy's was Switzer's, which I preferred.<BR><BR>At Shopsy's, at least in the 60's, you had to stgand in line.<BR><BR>At Switzer's, waitresses and waiters who rememberd you and your children served you at your table.<BR><BR>But, back to the orginal message -- if someone wants &quot;the Shopsy's Experience&quot; I suggest that the Yonge and Front Shopsy's, at 33 Yoinge, across from the Hummingbird Centre, is &quot;more real&quot; that the Shopsy's on King St. West between John and Duncan. Yonge just seems livlier, more likely to have professional rather than student waiters and waitresses, etc.<BR><BR>But it is not so much better that it is worth the walk from King to Yo9nge if you are already at King for the theatre.<BR><BR>Shopsy's on Yonge is close to the Hockey Hall of Fame, so that could make an attraction -- meal package. But then again, Le Marche is cloose to the Hockey Hall of Fame, and it too is a taste treat for tourists.<BR><BR>BAK

Graziella5 Mar 11th, 2003 09:53 AM

Hi Bak and all, I surely appreciate all the inf. you have given me. Specially the nostalgia touches here and there. They mean a lot to me too, of course I remmember New York in the same way, I used to live in 36 street and Lex., now not even the townhouse is there. It was also in the late fifties,early sixties.-Wow, so much time ago...<BR>Hopefully we will be there next month and enjoy your beautiful city.<BR>Graziella.<BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR>