Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Where is Chinatown in Mississauga? What to do in Burlington? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/where-is-chinatown-in-mississauga-what-to-do-in-burlington-549320/)

obason Aug 4th, 2005 02:27 PM

Where is Chinatown in Mississauga? What to do in Burlington?

Hello!
We are coming to Toronto again but we will stay in Burlington for the first two nights. We would like some authentic Chinese food and the closest place from Burlington is probably Mississauga. I remember going to a shopping plaza with quite a few Chinese restaurants and a couple of Chinese grocery stores. This is about 12 years ago and I haven't been to the area since. Can anyone tell me where Chinatown is in Mississauga? Or perhaps where the Chinese locals go to eat in Mississauga?

Is there a must see or must do in Burlinton that we should spend time on? We have been to Toronto many times but never visited Burlington. Anything worth seeing here or should we just drive to Toronto?

Any info. is appreciated.

Gavin Aug 4th, 2005 06:02 PM

If you like hiking the Bruce trail runs through rural Burlington. For something less strenuous and those botanically inclined there is the RBG. I read a favourable newspaper review of Hamilton's Art Gallery recently.

I hope somebody will tell you there is a good Chinese restaurant in Burlington or Oakville but I can't think of any.

kodi Aug 4th, 2005 08:14 PM

I don't know how 'authentic' you want your Chinese food to be, but for great Chinese food in Burlington, go to Blossom City. It's on Brant Street just up from the Lakeshore right across from City Hall.

As Gavin has said, the Bruce trail runs right by Burlington and is great for hiking. Also the Royal Botanical Gardens are worth seeing. There are many different gardens there, including a rose garden and a rock garden. Also a wilderness area for some great short hikes.

In the evening, you could go down to Spencer Smith Park and walk along the lakefront. It's a beautiful lakefront park. Also, wander around the area known as Village Square, a small area built to look like an old quaint town. It's located jsut east of Brant Street at Elizabeth St and Pearl.

Also, you could wander around the streets west of Brant, like Locust, Ontario, Burlington, if you are interested in seeing some older beautiful homes.

There are many good restaurants in downtown Burlington.
I'd suggest having dinner either at Blossom City or the Rude Native in Village Square and then wandering around in any or all of the above areas.

As far as museums and that sort of thing, you'd probably have to head to Toronto.

The Chinese Plaza you are talking about in Mississauga could be the one on Dundas street west of Dixie. ( I'm not sure of the exact location ,or even if it's the one you are looking for). There are many Chinese stores in this area.

Good luck. and enjoy Burlington.

HogtownJim Aug 4th, 2005 08:27 PM

Chinatown in Mississauga is on Central Parkway between Burnamthorpe interesection and Mavis Road. Food is good and prices are low.
I had a bowl of Pho at a place for $5

fille26 Aug 31st, 2005 11:36 AM

I have lived in Burlington my whole life, and here are some of the top things I enjoy doing for fun.
-If you drive north on Guelph line (past Dundas st) for around 12- 15 minutes, there is a beautiful outdoor park called Lowville. It has a winding river through it, and there is also a charming country cafe with great food called the Lowville Cafe. We go there to enjoy the scenery, take nice long walks along the path next to the river, and grab a quick bite to eat. Its gorgeous, and the park is free.
- Drive along lakeshore road, from Brant street right through to Burloak drive. You will get an amazing view of the lake, the huge old sprawling trees and see some of the most beautiful multi - million dollar homes around!
- Visit Downtown Burlington (village Square)to see the quaint shops, cobbled streets, and head to RC's for some great ice cream.
- Head to Emma's Back Porch and sit out on the patio overlooking the lake. This is a great place to relax, have some good casual food, and meet friends for drinks. If you stay past 10pm, it gets really busy and turns into a bar.
Enjoy!

BAK Aug 31st, 2005 04:48 PM

The two most interesting things I can find to do in Burlington, aside from the Royal
Botanical Gardens, are to visit the Lee Valley Tools store in a plaza just north of the Queen Elizabeth Way, and the Indigo store in a plaza just north ofthe QEW, more or less across the street from Costco.

Burlington seems to have made a decision to be boring.

If you takle the advice to drive along the lakeshore, keep going east to downtown Oakville. From Navy Street to Trafalgar, there's a stretch of excellent (but expensive) restaurants, decor stores, a great pet shop called Bark n Fitz, several places for coffee...

And immediately south of this area, down navy Street, is the Oakville Museum (yeah, wow!) but just past it is a nice park where you can get downt o the water. House from Lakeshore to the actual shore fo the lake have dates on them, so you can learn some history.

BAK

kodi Sep 1st, 2005 05:34 PM

Boring?? Them's fighting words BAK !!!
I love living in Burlington.
Lee Valley tools?? I've seen it, but never been in it.
Burlington is great for the outdoors. Lots of hiking trails in the RBG and the close-by Bruce Trail.
Fille26, I love Loweville, but have not been to the cafe. I'll have to make it a point to go there. We tried to go there once, but they were filming The West Wing there at the time.

BAK Sep 2nd, 2005 07:43 AM

Well yeah, if your idea of a vacation is to walk around in bushes.

The Bruce Trail bushes are really good bushes to walk around in.

And the Royal Botanical Gardens has a Renaissance Festival for another weekend or two. It's not bad at all.

After that, Lee Valley Tools store...

The visitors missed the British Car Show at the conservation area last week. It's always excellent, if you like old British cars.

And honest, if you are a gardener or a home woodworker, it's a great place.

BAK

kodi Sep 2nd, 2005 08:10 PM

Oh all right BAK. I have to go to Home depot tomorrow, I'll pop into Lee Valley!!! Then I'll go walking in the bush ( the good bushes) !!

HogtownJim Sep 2nd, 2005 09:15 PM

No need to travel all the way out to Burlington to shop at Lee Valley.

There is a Lee Valley Tools at
5701 Steeles Ave West just east of Pine Valley Drive in the Woodbridge region.

Exit the 407 south at Pine Valley or 400 West at Steeles or 401 North at Islington and turn east at Steeles.