Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's the best Gulf Island? and other questions about BC.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:31 AM
Anne

My family (two adults, a teenager and a near-teenager) are planning a swing through BC from my sister-in-law's home in Camrose, in July. We plan to go west through Banff, stay one night in Revelstoke, then on to just outside Vancouver the next day. We want to spend one day in Vancouver sight-seeing, sleep there again, then spend one day on Vancouver Island (esp. Victoria and Tofino -- can we do them in one day?) and one "doing" the Gulf Islands -- but on that tight a schedule, it will likely be only one island. Which one do you recommend? Scenery is of course important, funky would be great, activities are important, but somewhere really peaceful would be too boring for the younger set. <BR><BR>For accommodations, we are looking for B&B's that don't cost the earth, that will fit us all in one room. I have so far found one in Revelstoke (Alpine Lane), one in Surrey (On the Ridge) and one in Clearwater (Red Top) for the trip back, that sound good.<BR><BR>The plan is to get back to the mainland the evening of the second island day, sleep somewhere near Vancouver, then head up the Sea to Sky, pause in Whistler, then go on to Clearwater to sleep. The final day, we would go through Jasper and back to Camrose.<BR><BR>Does this sound do-able? Any and all comments and suggestions are most welcome.<BR>Many thanks!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:18 AM
Susan

It's not possible to see Victoria and Tofino in one day - I can't exactly recall how long it took us to drive from one to the other, but it was several hours. If you have only 1 day, stay in Victoria. Personally I would pass on the Gulf Island as well, but if you do really want to see one, maybe Saltspring - it's close to Vancouver Island. But, you know, if you're taking the ferry over to Vancouver Island, you'll pass right by the islands and see them from the ferry. That's not the same as staying on one of them, but I find you can waste a lot of time and energy taking ferries all over. However, I do think there are several ferries every day to Saltspring. <BR><BR>I think your itinerary is too ambitious. If it were me, I would spend all 3 ays in the Vancouver area or split it between Vancouver and Victoria. Forget Tofino and forget the island. Otherwise, you'll be spending a lot of time in the car. <BR><BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:44 AM
April

I think it's a good 5 hour drive between Victoria and Tofino. You'd be seeing everything on the run.<BR><BR>Gulf Islands are peaceful - the kind of places that are better to stay and relax awhile rather than visit for a day. Most of the scenery isn't all that spectacular. There are frequent sailings to Saltspring and it's not far, but aside from wandering the town, driving up to the top of Mt. Maxwell and around the island there isn't much to do there. I think your kids would be bored. Consider also that there can be waits for ferries even at this time of year. In July you could be spending hours in ferry line-ups.<BR><BR>Like Susan, I would skip the Gulf Islands and either spend a day in Victoria, or two in Tofino, or all the time in Vancouver. Considering the amount of driving you'll be doing, it might be nice to stay put for awhile.<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:09 AM
Pamela Black

My husband and I went to Vancouver Island (from Florida) in August for 10 days. Victoria is one of the most enjoyable places I have ever visited, and you might consider spending the entire day there. I think Tolfino is too far away to do both even in 2 days. <BR><BR>However, if you want to go to a great place that is closer, you might try Botanical Beach Provincial Park near Port Renfrew. We really enjoyed hiking and exploring the coast there.<BR><BR>Victoria:<BR>For activities, don't miss exploring the inner harbour, the Royal British Columbia museum, and the Parliament Building (take a guided tour, don't worry it's not boring). I think your kids would probably enjoy this stuff, even though it is educational.<BR>If you like nature and wildlife, you could visit Goldstream Provincial Park, about 20 minutes outside Victoria. It is a really nice park with good short trails, etc.<BR>I recommend the Blue Crab Bar and Grill for dinner. It's fantastic if you like seafood and looks out over the Inner Harbour. (located inside Coast Harbourside Hotel phone #- 250-360-1211)<BR>Sorry I can't help you with lodging, but we camped.<BR><BR>If you want to go to just one island, Salt Spring is probably your best bet. It is easy and inexpensive to get to on a ferry from Swartz Bay. See the ferry website at www.bcferries.com for schedules and prices. The islands aren't as good as mainland Vancouver Island and the kids might be bored. But if you go, aim for Saturday when there is an open air market. <BR>E-mail me at [email protected] if I can be of any further assistance. Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 11:31 AM
cindy

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said - certainly in terms of Tofino not being do-able in the amount of time that you have. I would, however, put in a big plug for Saltspring Island on a Saturday. The market is wonderful - lots of things to look at and buy - there's music (some of it quite impromptu, with people just setting up their instruments in the park and playing, and then sometimes other people start dancing - it can be lovely) and great food, and everyone is friendly. It's a really good time.