Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

what would you recommend in SOOKE area? Also what about cougars etc on trails if one has small dogs with?

Search

what would you recommend in SOOKE area? Also what about cougars etc on trails if one has small dogs with?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Sandy

The end of July we want to go to the Sooke area of Vancouver island for a birthday trip. <BR>It will probably be 4 nights long. We've never been west of Victoria before. Our interests are hiking, beach walks and nature. Scenic views and peaceful surroundings. The thing is my husband insists that we take our 3 small dogs with us so we can only stay in places that accept small dogs. I'd like to hear about anyone's recommendations for good beach walks, hiking trails (have you been on the Juan de Fuca trail?), good views, restaurants you <BR>liked and if there is any motel you liked that accepts dogs. Also in reading old posts here about Sooke I have come across posts that talk of cougar attacks on trails on Vancouver island. Should we be concerned with cougar or black bears on trails in the Sooke area (and north of there?) I ask cause we never use leashes on trails with our small dogs (who can easy go 8 miles on a hike...we hike daily with them). Do you think we will need to use leashes on trails with them (they'll hate it but if needed I'd put them on a leash for safety sake)? Thanks. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:14 PM
traveller

Well, I have two small dogs and always keep them on leashes just for safety. I think that it is easier to control them and protect them that way. Mine are used to it of course and as you said, yours are not but you always need to be concerned about wildlife that may want to attack your dogs. So the leashes are a good idea. I saw last night that there is a real problem in Vancouver with Coyotes attacking children. Don't know if this applies on Van Is. but it may. In Sooke visit the 7 Mile Pub (I believe that is the name). My son went to uni there and I did a pub crawl with him in his last year and it was a blast. Also, for a bit of a change, visit Royal Roads University. Beautiful setting and well worth the time and you could probably let your dogs run loose there. Don't know the names of the beaches but they are not too far north of Royal Roads. There are quite a few with lovely picnic areas and such within an hour of Royal Roads. We just visited when our son was in Uni and enjoyed without trying to remember the names. Anywhere in Sooke is a good time and very scenic. Have fun.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:27 PM
Mike Bilnski

<BR>Good advice about the mutts above. <BR>Still I can never figure out why someone goes on holiday to sit in a dank dingy smelly bar (while your pet waits in the car!). <BR>Try http://www.gvcc.bc.ca/recrides/goosebrochure.htm <BR>http://members.home.net/sookeharbour/trail/ <BR> Or http://www.sookenet.com/sooke/activi.../jdftrail.html <BR>http://www.genio.net/pallas/ <BR>try a taste of real West Coast living!!!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 11:53 PM
April

Do not take your dogs to Hatley Park / Royal Roads or let them run loose at the lagoon nearby. It is a wildlife sanctuary.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Robyn

I agree with April... keeping your dog on the leash is probably more intended to prevent your dog from disturbing the wildlife than the other way around!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Mike Bilinski

Well there you have it!! <BR>No drinking and no 'running around"! <BR>As you can see we are serious people(!) If you want a lovely sit-down dinner however this is the place-http://www.ila-chateau.com/sooke/

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Robyn

I found the website for the Juan de Fuca trail: <BR> <BR>http://www.sookenet.com/activity/trails/jdftrail.html <BR> <BR>Under the "safety rules and pointers" they say the following about animals and dogs: <BR> <BR>"Animals - Remember this is a wilderness area, black bear and cougar may be present. As a precaution, it is recommended that you leave pets at home. Keep young children from wandering alone into brush areas. " <BR> <BR>"Dogs - Dogs can cause wildlife conflicts. Please leave your dog at home. If you must bring your dog keep it on a leash and under control at all times." <BR> <BR>But saying that, here's the little paragraph they have on the main page: <BR> <BR>"Introduction to the trail <BR> <BR>The trail offers scenic beauty, spectacular hiking, wildlife viewing and roaring surf in it's course along the Pacific coastline of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Most of the trail is designed for strenuous day or multi-day hiking in this rugged and isolated area. Some easy to moderate day hiking opportunities to the beach or along the trail are available starting from the trailheads at China Beach, Sombrio Beach, Parkinson Creek and Botanical Beach. <BR> <BR>This unique trail was created through the Commonwealth Nature Legacy as an enduring reminder of the 1994 Victoria Commonwealth Games. Preservation of a living legacy of unprecedented natural beauty, accessible to all, was considered a fitting tribute to the spirit of the Games. <BR> <BR>Construction and preservation of this trail has been made possible by the efforts of government, local industries and citizens. Land exchanges and gifts of land have come from Western Forest Products and Timberwest. The trail is being upgraded with funding from Forest Renewal BC and the and the Environmental Youth Team (E-Team). <BR> <BR>Please remember that the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail is a wilderness area. Maintaining this wilderness atmosphere and protecting its cultural and natural features is the responsibility of every visitor."

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 01:50 AM
Sandy

Thanks to all who responded so far. I will check out all the web sites too. <BR>Good info, I appreciate it.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:20 PM
G.

I live on the Galloping Goose trail in Metchosin [near Sooke] and I've never seen a cougar or a bear. Mind you a friend of mine saw a cougar once [it was some distance away]. For the most part cougars don't want to mess with people. But beyond Sooke the land is much wilder and much less populated and it might not be a good idea to take your little dogs on the Juan de Fuca trail. You should also keep them away from otters. I have heard a true account of an otter eating someone's miniature poodle. About coyotes - there are none on the island, yet. Hopefully no one will bring any over here. As for great beaches I think China Beach is really great. As for restaurants, there's the Breakers Cafe in Jordan River and there are several places [can't remember names] in Port Renfrew. In Sooke there's Sooke Harbour House [pricey but very nice] and Margisson House, and Mom's Cafe. <BR>