Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   What to do Whistler if you don't ski (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/what-to-do-whistler-if-you-dont-ski-810288/)

GalleySlaveKelly Oct 14th, 2009 10:14 AM

What to do Whistler if you don't ski

Will be at the Fairmont in Whistler for a meeting in January. I'm sure that skiing/snowboarding/tubing is at the top of the list for things to do, but what if you're not into that?

Are there walking/hiking trails? What about gondola rides to the tops of mountains for views and people watching?

Sitting around the fireplace at the Fairmont drinking a hot toddy and reading a book is fine for me, but are there other fireplaces around I should be sitting next to? Where are the best people watching spots?

How does one get around Whistler? Did I hear there's a shuttle?

bmw732002 Oct 14th, 2009 03:14 PM

Wow! That is like being in Rome and not liking Italian food!

Whistler has a nice base area/village that you can walk around. YOu can take the gondola up and have lunch at the top.

I believe that there are walking trails that you can get out and about.

Ask at the Fairmont desk, I am sure they have a world of interesting things to do!

John

taggie Oct 14th, 2009 09:33 PM

There are lots of little shops to browse, lots of good restaurants, hiking trails, spa treatments, etc. There's dog sledding and ziplining. There's the Peak to Peak gondola. Great nightlife.
Yes, there is a local shuttle bus that'll get you around. But the village centre is all pedestrianized so easy to stroll about...

christy1 Oct 21st, 2009 09:10 AM

The hiking trails will be snow covered, so don't count on that. There will be other winter outdoor activites like snowshoeing, x-country skiing and dogsledding. The Whistler website has all the info on these. Most of the village shops are either outdoor/ski shops or gift shops--not really that interesting to a non-skier, I'd guess. While are there are some good restaurants, they have typical ski resort prices, which means they're way overpriced compared to Vancouver, for instance.

You can take the Whistler Village gondola to the Roundhouse, which takes about 15 minutes and delivers you to a large restaurant complex (during lunch, MOBBED with wet hungry skiers, so avoid that time). There is also at least one small bar there. There are certainly nice views from the Roundhouse (as long as its not snowing or foggy) but you'll need to buy a lift ticket, which will run you $89. I've never heard of any kind of non-skier ticket just to the roundhouse that might be cheaper but it's worth asking your hotel about--maybe there is such a thing. You can then from the Roundhouse take a ride on the Peak to Peak gondola, which is kind of fun (again, if its snowing, there won't be views). Neither of these gondola rides give you the best views--the very tops of the mountains are only accessible by other ski lifts.

NorthwestMale Oct 21st, 2009 12:12 PM

Hi, I don't ski, but I went to Whistler one day a few years ago and I found that there were plenty of little shops and eateries that could have kept me busy for several days.

I don't know if you've ever been a-ROUND a ski area, even when not a skier yourself, but even that is kind of interesting, just watching people, all in various parkas, and some indoors having their one-a-day meal in a hurry in order to get back out there.

I think you will find plenty to do on the surface, and then the unique things mentioned by others here will be there in case you want something different.

Go there with confidence. (and be glad you won't be there a month later, in all of the hubbub)

GalleySlaveKelly Oct 31st, 2009 08:17 PM

Thanks, all. I'm sure I'll have a wonderful time, just didn't want to miss anything-- though I realize I'll be missing all the best stuff since I'm not into skiing. I see lots of hot toddies and people watching in my future along with chatting up strangers. It's all good.

Still have 3 months for more suggestions if anyone's got them.