Very long layover in Toronto - Ideas?

Old Jun 28th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very long layover in Toronto - Ideas?

First the setup: I am a little old lady and will be arriving in Toronto on August 7 or 8 (a weekday for sure) at 9ish in the morning on the Canadian coming from Jasper. I will have spent 2 nights on the train. I am leaving Toronto at 11:30 that night on the Megabus for a 12 hour ride back home. I will have been riding buses and trains for about 3 weeks. My only luggage will be a very small backpack and a big purse.

I am sort of leaning towards booking a hotel room - hopefully one with a very early checkin time - so I can have a nice hot shower and a long nap. Maybe the hotel should be closer to the Bus Depot. Any hotel ideas?

Also, anything interesting that can be done by tour boat or bus. I am guessing I'll be one tired 70-something woman by then. Have been to Niagara Falls several times, so I don't think I am interesting in killing time that way.

Sorry Toronto - I promise to comeback and stay longer next time. But, 3 weeks is as long as I like to leave Dear Hubby "Home Alone".
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:31 AM
ron

The nearest hotels to the Bus station on Bay Street are, in order, the Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre, the Metropolitan on Chestnut Street and the Delta Chelsea. I have stayed at all three over the years, but only the Metropolitan within the past year - very nice. The Bond Place and the Sheraton Centre would be next closest. Bond Place used to be cheaper than the others, if that's a factor, since you haven't indicated whether you are a wealthy little old lady.

Have you checked how often (or how rarely) the Canadian arrives in Toronto on time?
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Delta Chelsea always seems to have some kind of promotion so I would call the hotel directly and ask for the front desk... you will get a desk clerk and you can tell them about your situation(early check-in, day nap)...

I have found that on multiple occasions that they will give you the extra care you desire rather than the reservations department... even if they transfer you, they might hand off your call as a special customer...

never, never book this situation on the internet...
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Well why not go all out and splurge and book at the Royal York Hotel? Again, call with your request, ask for a discount. You are worth the indulgence after that all. It's right next to the train station and relatively close to the Harbourfront, do CN tower for lunch or dinner for the beautiful 360 city view.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM

Hello, Peggy:

The Royal York is a little long in the tooth these days & in serious need of a major refurbishment.
We stayed there a few months ago & were very disappointed.
It all started at checkin. We arrived at 4:00PM and our room was not ready until 8:00PM! Unbelievable.
The bathrooms are really, really small. The furnishings are extremely dated.

Although you will be arriving by train, as you have pointed out, you will be leaving by bus so it does make sense to be close to the bus terminal. That said, I wld go with The Marriott Eaton Centre.
Checkin early. Call ahead & tell them that you require an early checkin. Have a nice long shower, an even longer nap, lunch, maybe an afternoon show at The Elgin Theatre across the street from The Marriott (cut through the courtyard).
Then dinner, relax in your room & head over to the bus terminal for your departure at 11:30PM.

How does that sound?

OB1
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like a fine plan OceanBreeze... I'll set things into motion next week.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM

Great!
Enjoy Toronto!

Where do you live, a 12 bus ride from TO?

OB1
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Washington DC. Where we are currently experiencing "difficulties" with our electricity, phone service and internet.

Megabus - makes one trip a day with 3 or 4 stops between DC and Toronto.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 08:09 PM

Peggy,
I am so sorry to hear about the devastating storms that have hit your area. I was watching the At&T @ Congressional where there were a lot of fallen trees.
I hope that you & your family are ok.

OB1
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 08:10 PM

AT&T
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If all you need is a good long shower and a single bed to sleep in for a few hours, you may be able to use the HI Hostel.
http://www.hostellingtoronto.com/47/...odation.hostel
A few years ago, my DW and I stayed there before a trip west on the Canadian.
Is there a different bus to Buffalo or Rochester earlier?
Too bad the Amtrak Maple Leaf leaves Toronto at 8:20AM.