CANADIAN ROCKIES

Search

CANADIAN ROCKIES

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CANADIAN ROCKIES

Thank you all again for your help. I also have a question about hikes in Lake Louise area, am I correct in my understanding that the: Plain of 6 Glaciers, Beehive and Lady Agnes Trails all connect and if so how long does that whole loop generally take and where do you begin it?
Regarding the SnoCoach,for the glacier, I know we have to schedule this in advance, does anyone know how far in advance this must be done? The reason I had thought of doing it once we were situated in Jasper is beacuse then we could plan the time better. Or, is just to far from Jasper to back track to? Thanks again!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:15 AM

The Plain of Six Glaciers, Beehive, Lake Agnes circuit is 11 miles, and involves a considerable gain in elevation. It generally is considered to be a full day hike. Six Glaciers and Lake Agnes each can be done as a separate, half day hike. The hikes begin and end at Lake Louise.

I have never scheduled a ride on the Snocoach. I've always bought a ticket when I've arrived at the Columbia Icefields.

The Columbia Icefields really are too far for you to do this activity while you're staying in Jasper townsite. The most practical way to do it is while you're driving from Lake Louise to Jasper or from Jasper to Lake Louise.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:16 PM

The loop is long, but the elevation gain/loss was not bad at all. BTW there is a little beehive as well as a big beehive...the big one is between lake agnes and the plain of six glaciers. The loop is a nice hike, and although it takes most of a day, it is very much worth it. Our kids did it with us and were fine.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:10 PM

We have never scheduled a ride on the Snocoach either, and haven't had any problems. The only thing to watch out for are the tour buses that seem to arrive in packs. The travellers on the tour buses usually travel on the Snocoach in groups too, so you may have to wait until there is space available. However, you can make use of the time that you are waiting to walk to the toe of the glacier, and note how far and quickly it has receded in the last 20 to 30 years (there are "year" markers along the way).

The distance from Jasper to the Columbia Icefields is approximately 105 km (63 miles) - which is a few kilometers closer than from Lake Louise (120 km or 75 miles, approximately). Keep in mind that this is not a flat straight highway, you are in the mountians, and although the speed limit in the National parks is 90 km/h (56 mph), you will be driving slower in many sections.
If you "do" the Columbia Icefield from Jasper, be prepared that a good portion of your day will be spent there: driving both ways as well as the sightseeing etc.
It's much more efficient to do it when you are driving the Icefield Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper - just add it to your "activities of the day" (you have already planned to do the driving, so only the time spent at the Icefields needs to be added to your itinerary)
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:41 PM

If you want to put your effort in to a sweaty climb, I suggest Fairview Mountain from lake Louise. The view is tremendous. Its 5 k to the summit, but a good stiff climb. The elevation gain is about 2,000 feet.

No view of Lake Louise rivals it in my experience.