Driving from Banff to Whistler

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I plan to drive from Banff to Whistler in Septmeber. Anybody have any tips on route, distance, journey duration etc.
Any assistance appreciated.
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Mapquest ( www.mapquest.com ) quotes the distance as 496 miles (798 km) and the driving time as 11 hours (not counting stops, of course).

Mapquest's suggested route goes through Golden, Revelstoke, Salmon Arm, Kamloops, Cache Creek and Lillooet.

As far as this route is concerned, I've only driven the Banff - Kamloops leg, not Kamloops - Whistler.

In theory it could be done in a day. We've done Calgary - Vancouver in a day. If you've never done this journey before, however, there are many beautiful and interesting things to stop and see. If you can afford the time, it would be nice to spread the journey over two days.

Kamloops would be quite a convenient place to stop for the night. It isn't a spectacular town, but it has a reasonable selection of hotels and motels.

In a previous thread, you asked about driving from Vancouver to Jasper.

If you're going to drive from Vancouver to Jasper and then from Banff to Whistler, you'll be driving in a giant X. I don't know if you want to consider a more circular route : Vancouver - Whistler - Jasper - Banff - back to Vancouver.

I haven't driven from Whistler to Jasper, so cannot comment on the scenery from personal experience. I've heard there are some lovely waterfalls in Wells Gray Park. Seeing them would involve taking a detour from the main road.

Mapquest states that Whistler - Jasper takes 10 hours. If you want to stop at scenic lookouts and places of interest, that too may be a journey that merits 2 days, if your time permits.
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Judy_in_Calgary for the helpful advise. Much appreciated.