Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   what about kids in Toronto? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/what-about-kids-in-toronto-129250/)

desmcginn Jun 10th, 2001 01:54 PM

what about kids in Toronto?

i am taking my 14 year old nephew to visit Toronto.We are travelling from Ireland and i could use some suggestions of where to take him.I know of the major tourist attractions,but i would like to take him somewhere different.Any cool places?

Brian Kilgore Jun 10th, 2001 02:31 PM

He'll enjoy walking west from University Avenue and Queen Street West for a couple of blocks past Spadina, and then back. <BR> <BR>After that, the standard attractions: CBNTower, harborfront, Canada's Wonderland, maybe the Metro Zoo, probbly the Ontario Science Center, the Royal Ontario Museum. <BR> <BR>and everyone should see Niagra Falls and go on theMaid fo the Mist. <BR> <BR>After that,the best bet is something tied to a hobby or interest. If we had an idea, that would help? Old trains? Is he a photographer? <BR> <BR>Tellus more, and we may be able to point you in the right direction. <BR> <BR>BAK

xx Jun 10th, 2001 03:45 PM

My kids liked the Hockey Hall of Fame, and the Ontario Science Center.

desmcginn Jun 10th, 2001 04:54 PM

cheers guys.He likes buying records and is really into clothes.what is on the walk from uni ave and Queen st west? i know most of the touristy places.What about sports events?

Bonnie Jun 10th, 2001 09:23 PM

When are you coming to Toronto? Is it in the summer? I took one of the ferries over to the Toronto Islands. There were a lot of kids either rollerblading or bicycling over there. You can rent either at Harbourfront and spend part of the day exploring. You can go the Beaches area and walk on the boardwalk. You can go to the Docks entertainment complex for the beach volleyball, golf range, or Drive In Movie. It has the best view of Toronto. <BR>Go to a store called Mountain Equipment Co-op for some really practical, interesting clothes (my sons like to shop there). Or to Kensington Market.

garyt Jun 11th, 2001 06:18 AM

If you make the side trip to Niagara Falls, don't miss the Whirlpool Jet Boat ride. They take you on a world class experience through the lower rapids (below the falls) that will be the highlight of your trip. It cost $45 US, you get very wet, but your 14 year-old will never forget it.

Ariel Jun 11th, 2001 07:02 AM

Yes definitly take him to Queen Streen West. If you are taking the subway, get out at Univeristy and Queen (I believ eit is called University station). Head West on Queen street. Try to go for the afternoon, when most people will be out on the street. He will find some of the best fashion stores in Toronto - definitly very funky. Queen street starts to loose interest after Spadina - for tourists/mainstream people away. <BR> <BR>He might also enjoy walking on Yonge Street up (North) from Queen, on a summer night it is quite good. <BR> <BR>Lastly, a place you can both really enjoy is the Beaches. Take the Quueb streetcar east and get of sometime after passing Woodbine (the driver will tell you when, but make sure the car goes all the way along Queen, not up Kingston Road). Anyway, it has some great cafes and shops. If he is into music he should hit Second Spin, south side of Queen, a few blocks East of Elmer (which is 2 blocks east of Woodbine). Grab a coffee at the Roastry, a local coffee shop and admire the Harley's parked outside. And finally (if you are liberal!) grab a beer from the LCBO and head down to the park/beach and enjoy a cold one by the water (just don't do it too openly - we Canadians are a bit prudish about drinking in public - at least our police are!, but it really is enjoyable).

desmcginn Jun 11th, 2001 10:23 AM

Cheers guys,I appreciate the advice.We shall be there from AUG 3 - AUG 17,so i hope that's a good time. <BR>To Ariel i think we are staying near the beaches,somewhere called Victoria Park Avenue so if i'm right it sounds really cool.Right up our street!

Brian Kilgore Jun 11th, 2001 05:59 PM

The subway stop and University and Queen is called Osgoode, after Osgoode hall, a court house complex at the intersection. The queen St. West walk is past funky shops, some famous (Guess) and some hole-in-the-wall Toronto-only places. <BR> <BR>Victoria Park is pretty much no-where. If you are staying in a hotel, consider changing. If it is with friends, ask them to move house before you arrive. Depending won where on Victoria Park, youmay be near the east end of the Beaches, though. <BR> <BR>If the jet boat is more thanyou want to spend, take the Maid of the Mist in Niagara Falls, to the foot of the falls. This is a genuine bargain. <BR> <BR>BAK